Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,553,619 times

Advertisements

Leftists sure are stupid if they think this was a 'lack of regulation' problem.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:35 AM

3,407 posts, read 3,454,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually the Land of Enchantment is New Mexico, which is one state over.

That is when you stand up and say let me off. You don't sit there and take the word of some grunt working a minimum wage job.

A couple of years ago several people were injured and killed at a state fair concert in the midwest. The sky was turning black, the wind was picking up, but people stood around and waited for a band that wasn't going to perform.

Well the scaffolding and the stage started falling apart and came down on the crowd. One woman later commented "no one told us to leave".

Do people need to be told what to do these days? Can't think for themselves? If something seems off to you or a situation seems unsafe, you remove yourself from that situation when it is possible.
That was at the indiana state fair. I was at the fair earlier that day and as we watched the workers bring the scaffolding into the arena mentioned that would be a cool show to see. We did not go but i was outside a mear 2 miles from the fair when the accident happened (working) and i was very scarred with how fast the weather changed. They had maybe 5 minutes to evacuate. Not making excuses for the fair since they knew a front was coming and there were solid buildings they could have sent people to less than 200 ft from the coliseum. But it did happen very fast.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:46 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,757,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually the Land of Enchantment is New Mexico, which is one state over.

That is when you stand up and say let me off. You don't sit there and take the word of some grunt working a minimum wage job.

A couple of years ago several people were injured and killed at a state fair concert in the midwest. The sky was turning black, the wind was picking up, but people stood around and waited for a band that wasn't going to perform.

Well the scaffolding and the stage started falling apart and came down on the crowd. One woman later commented
Quote:

"no one told us to leave".

Do people need to be told what to do these days? Can't think for themselves? If something seems off to you or a situation seems unsafe, you remove yourself from that situation when it is possible.
Exactly, this is what happens when you have a nanny state, people become so dependent on the government for everything, they do not learn self sufficiency and become zombies wandering aimlessly, waiting for big brother to tell them what their next move should be.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I guess we could be a Democrat and have wished the lady was pregnant, thus not only killing herself, but aborting her child without costing the taxpayer a dime..
Or we could be a Democrat deploring the asinine, inane, baseless statements made by the self-Righteous.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leftists sure are stupid if they think this was a 'lack of regulation' problem.
Kinda like the Texas fertilizer plant explosion where it was found:

"that the ammonium nitrate was stored in combustible wooden bins, inside a warehouse that was also combustible and lacked fire-resistant partitions or a sprinkler system"

From a CSB report, which is an independent federal agency that investigates major chemical accidents and develops safety recommendations to prevent their recurrence

Conservatives: Redefining stupid while growing the parts of government that suit their agenda.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,604 times
Just out of curiosity...

In 1984 there was a lady killed on a coaster at Six-Flags Great America (St. Louis). Basically sounds about the same. The reason I remember it so vividly was we were in the que to get on the ride (stand up coaster) literally on the platform ready to go when they shut it down. I can't find anything where they ever figured out what happened, but thinking that this might be a place to start looking for similarities.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
The fact is there are less than a handful of roller coastal deaths a year in the US and you can never eliminate human error which is the cause of the great majority of accidents. Can someone point out to me the difference in roller coastal regulations in Texas versus, for an example, NJ that contributed to this death? What new regulation do you want?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is there are less than a handful of roller coastal deaths a year in the US and you can never eliminate human error which is the cause of the great majority of accidents. Can someone point out to me the difference in roller coastal regulations in Texas versus, for an example, NJ that contributed to this death? What new regulation do you want?
Or, alternatively, find out what happened before whining about either not enough regulations or too many?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

Police: No foul play seen in Texas roller coaster death - CNN.com

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.
Really?

NO regulation?

NO inspections?

LOL....the lengths people will go to support their unsubstantiated beliefs.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Or, alternatively, find out what happened before whining about either not enough regulations or too many?
Roller coaster related fatalities, United States, 1994

Unless things have changed since 2004 we have about 4 deaths a year in the whole USA, more than half of which are cardiac related and about 1 a year from falls, due to roller coastal rides. I really don't see much need for more regulations. I also did not recognize a blue state/ red state difference in the fatality statistics.

Let us all send our prayers to the Esparza family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies