Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

^

I like how economiclly self-sufficient many Asian communities are. That's the lesson more black communities can learn from. This Asian self-sufficiency keeps their unemployment low which reduces many of the social problems connected with high unemployment.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

I like how economiclly self-sufficient many Asian communities are. That's the lesson more black communities can learn from. This Asian self-sufficiency keeps their unemployment low which reduces many of the social problems connected with high unemployment.
But it creates other social problems in the form of human trafficking and other illegal activity. The language barrier tends to keep Asian recent arrivals within their own communities, but it also keeps outsiders (such as law enforcement) out.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
China towns where build of off longtime cultures.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 163,274 times
Quote:
An interesting article where this person visited Chicago's Chinatown and highlighted some lessons that they felt black-Americans could learn from.

I thought this was a good lesson:
If blacks only hired other blacks, do you have any idea how many people would call them racist and demand their business was shut down?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
have to admit I came in here thinking it was another white man knows best thread, but interesting link. many of us already know these things, but we need to convince others that changes need to be made, particularly in the way we use our money. money is power. we definitely need to keep it in our communities, which are not just physical locations, but nebulous combinations of various places black people dwell. for example, I went natural in 2009, because I had my daughter and I don't want her growing up believing that there is something uptight about her hair that she needs to "relax". after I made this decision, I learned about the stranglehold non black businesses have on the relaxed hair and weave industries. the popularity of natural hair has given new life to black owned hair product companies and individual entrepreneurs. Because of the online black and natural hair communities, I can make informed decisions about where I buy products and who I buy them from.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
^

Really?

"Contrary to popular perception, not all Asian Americans are basking in financial security and working high-income jobs after years of intensive schooling.

The official poverty rate of Asian Americans in 2011 actually exceeded that of whites by 2.5 percentage points, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Adjusted for cost differences, Asians had a poverty rate of 16.1% compared with the 10.4% rate of whites in the country, a study by the Economic Policy Institute showed. Even stripping away the cost-of-living differences, the gap between Asians and whites in the country's poverty rate was 2.9 percentage points, the study said."
Asian Americans had higher poverty rate than whites in 2011, study says - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Did Justin Bieber write the blog in the link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies