Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Anti-Affordable Healthcare and will/do accept Medicare?
Yes - I am Anti-Affordable Healthcare and will/do personally accept -Medicare 17 80.95%
No - I am Anti-Affordable Healthcare and will not personally accept Medicare 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
For those who want Affordable Healthcare dismantled, Will you or do you accept government sponsored healthcare called Medicare (for those 65 and older)?

After years of working in the corporate world, I retained my COBRA upon early retirement. When it came time to obtain my personal health insurance I was shocked that I was rejected several times for "allergies" (for which I occasionally take Claritin OTC), and a healing rotator cuff. Until then, I thought only the "poor" were uninsured. It was a wake-up call for me to the games of the insurance companies.

I was thrilled when Affordable Healthcare came along. It is not cheap (a $4000 annual deductible + montly fee). I saw it as a safety net for an extreme medical condition (which fortunately did not happen).

A friend, blasted me for engaging in Affordable Healthcare. Later I asked, since she was 65 at the time, if she had Medicare. She said "Yes". She did not see the irony. I do.
I'm curious to know your opinions.

I am against having any kind of government health care and will not accept social security nor Medicare/Medicaid when I retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM

257 posts, read 295,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
obamacare is nothing but a transfer of money from the productive to the unproductive.
Well, I certainly do not fall into the generalization of being among the "unproductive". I had my first job at 16 while in HS. Then, worked 40 years until I chose to retire early. No medical, maternity, or military leave - no gap in working years. And, at work, I was quite productive.
And remember: 1) ACA is not free. With a $4,000 deductible, I pay for my own medical. 2) I sought individual insurance but the Insurance Industry doesn't want self-insured people and can/will make-up totally unreasonable reasons to deny someone who wants to self-insure.
Drs are also into games. My Ophthalmologist charge me one fee when he knew I had no insurance. When I got ACA, his fee for the same service was 3x the amount. Since I have the large deductible, I had to eat the new fee. So, is there a problem with out healthcare system, from personal experience - You bet. And it was there long before ACA. Sadly, I never knew how corrupt the system was because I had always had corporate level group insurance before early retirement and had to deal directly with the abusive system.

Last edited by BraveHeart01; 07-24-2013 at 10:33 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
ACA is very Orwellian. Sort of Solyent Green. Call it something it ultimately is not.
Oh, please do explain.
None of this hyperbole, but a real explanation of why you believe this.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
My friend was very happy to be on Medicare - looked forward to it. She bought a supplement that covered the costs Medicare didn't cover, and bought a drug program. All in all, her monthly cost is less than it was when she paid for pre-Medicare AND she retained the same doctors. No change in service per her account - just a reduction in cost. Perhaps she's an anomaly, but she is my sample size of one and it sounds pretty beneficial to me as a package with supplemental insurance.
My experience with Medicare has been exactly as you describe. If you have a supplemental plan (Medigap or Advantage) it is at least as good as most corporations offer their employees and the premiums are no greater.

My wife had a surgical procedure at the hospital a few months ago. The total cost to us was around $100 and part of that was for drugs. By the way, you have to be on a pretty heavy drug regime to hit the dough-nut hole, most don't.

Since we have been on Medicare, we have kept the same doctors and the best hospital here accepted Medicare without question.

I really don't know why some people think that it is inferior insurance. It absolutely isn't.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am against having any kind of government health care and will not accept social security nor Medicare/Medicaid when I retire.
I bet you don't. Pretty tough to tun down a nice check every month plus good health insurance, things that you have paid for all your life.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The irony is that you don't realize that people without a job are getting a benefit (medical care) to which they did not contribute right now - and have been for forever. Only right now, today, it's a chaotic mess with county/city hospitals constantly finding themselves in financial crisis because there is never enough taxpayer provided funding to cover their expenses. I, as a taxpayer, am footing the bill and am always being begged for more money in the way of sales tax increases, county referendums on bond issues, etc.

We don't let people die in the US. If they can drag their sick/injured body to an ER, they ARE treated and if they can't pay, the taxpayers pay. Obamacare is an attempt to get everyone to contribute something to their own medical care.
Do you think I don't know that?

And furthermore, do you honestly think that obamacare will solve the "chaotic mess" that big government already created?

Thank god for naive' people.....liberal government couldn't exist without you!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The irony is that you don't realize that people without a job are getting a benefit (medical care) to which they did not contribute right now - and have been for forever. Only right now, today, it's a chaotic mess with county/city hospitals constantly finding themselves in financial crisis because there is never enough taxpayer provided funding to cover their expenses. I, as a taxpayer, am footing the bill and am always being begged for more money in the way of sales tax increases, county referendums on bond issues, etc.

We don't let people die in the US. If they can drag their sick/injured body to an ER, they ARE treated and if they can't pay, the taxpayers pay. Obamacare is an attempt to get everyone to contribute something to their own medical care.
Really?

Every single relative of mine who died had health insurance and most of them died in hospitals.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So we should deny them healthcare benefits??? Why?
We should also deny them free auto insurance, life insurance, home owners insurance, flood insurance and every other insurance that responsible people pay for.

Why don't lefties start questioning the people who aren't contributing why THEY deny themselves healthcare benefits?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
My experience with Medicare has been exactly as you describe. If you have a supplemental plan (Medigap or Advantage) it is at least as good as most corporations offer their employees and the premiums are no greater.
You realize that Obamacare does away with Medicare Advantage plans, right? Not right away though. The boy king is too much of a coward to do it while still in office.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Well, I certainly do not fall into the generalization of being among the "unproductive". I had my first job at 16 while in HS. Then, worked 40 years until I chose to retire early. No medical, maternity, or military leave - no gap in working years. And, at work, I was quite productive.
And remember: 1) ACA is not free. With a $4,000 deductible, I pay for my own medical. 2) I sought individual insurance but the Insurance Industry doesn't want self-insured people and can/will make-up totally unreasonable reasons to deny someone who wants to self-insure.
Drs are also into games. My Ophthalmologist charge me one fee when he knew I had no insurance. When I got ACA, his fee for the same service was 3x the amount. Since I have the large deductible, I had to eat the new fee. So, is there a problem with out healthcare system, from personal experience - You bet. And it was there long before ACA. Sadly, I never knew how corrupt the system was because I had always had corporate level group insurance before early retirement and had to deal directly with the abusive system.
Blah, blah, blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies