Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Anti-Affordable Healthcare and will/do accept Medicare?
Yes - I am Anti-Affordable Healthcare and will/do personally accept -Medicare 17 80.95%
No - I am Anti-Affordable Healthcare and will not personally accept Medicare 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times

Advertisements

I want Affordable Health Care! That being said, Obamacare does nothing to provide affordable health care. It is going to hurt far more people than help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I prefer that they be carted off to another facility like Michelle Obama did in Chicago.
You will have to provide a link - I don't know to what you are referring.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Affordable for who? Its just a transfer of payments to others really. It isn't even like Medicare and SS in which a person pays all their working life with no choice then continue to pay if they want the coverage they aid of when they get 65.I think if they allowed people to opt out one might be surprised of the choices made. In time people will wander why they are not getting increases in pay and higher prices when its really the added cost passed o from those who are actually making the payments. remember the pre-existing conditions is based on 500 billon I cuts over ten years from medicare. There is Medicaid for those who government thinks financially should have help based on income.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Are you talking about the 20 and 30 something Obama voters who don't buy health insurance, but want me to pay for their 'free' healthcare? Yes I mean them, among others. Also the welfare sinks who work the system and consume my tax dollars.

I suspect there's a lot of both types on this board.
I pay for my health insurance through my employer, but didn't always have that option. While I was job hunting after college, I did not have insurance. I tried to buy it on the private market - denied due to some relatively minor preexisting conditions (the biggest one being something I had not received treatment for in over a decade). I was 22. A few months later, I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, but luckily had found a job that covered me a few months before. Despite going to a top university, it took awhile for most of the class of 2010 to find jobs, and even longer for many to find jobs with benefits. I had to move 1000 miles for a rather low salary in a high cost of living area.

Am I a leech because no private insurance company will insure me? Or am I more of a leech because my medical needs cost more than my annual salary per year (and these are good years - 6 months of treatment cost about 7 years at 100% of my salary - longer than was legal for me to work most jobs except at a grocery store!)? Or a leech because no one in my family (parents were uninsured due to preexisting conditions that have rendered them destitute) and certainly not my other less-than-6-months-out-of-college friends could afford to help shoulder the financial burden?

We have a long way to go with healthcare. The most common cause of bankruptcy is due to a health emergency - and a shocking amount of those people go bankrupt WHILE insured because of the costs of copays and procedures or meds that insurance does not cover. Obamacare doesn't come close to solving all of the problems, but at least myself and the 71,000 young adults who will be diagnosed with cancer EVERY YEAR (before they have enough years in the workforce to build up earning power or savings) know that we will not be barred access to buying insurance. Being able to afford it will still be a challenge.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Affordable for who? Its just a transfer of payments to others really. It isn't even like Medicare and SS in which a person pays all their working life with no choice then continue to pay if they want the coverage they aid of when they get 65.I think if they allowed people to opt out one might be surprised of the choices made. In time people will wander why they are not getting increases in pay and higher prices when its really the added cost passed o from those who are actually making the payments. remember the pre-existing conditions is based on 500 billon I cuts over ten years from medicare. There is Medicaid for those who government thinks financially should have help based on income.
I have a problem with allowing the currently healthy to opt out and then opt-in when they get sick/injured. There needs to be some kind of waiting period, maybe a year, before a person's opt-in application takes effect. In the meantime, their name is in a national database and they must pay upfront before receiving any medical care. Some people will die because of their choice, but that's the way it goes...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
For those who want Affordable Healthcare dismantled, Will you or do you accept government sponsored healthcare called Medicare (for those 65 and older)?

After years of working in the corporate world, I retained my COBRA upon early retirement. When it came time to obtain my personal health insurance I was shocked that I was rejected several times for "allergies" (for which I occasionally take Claritin OTC), and a healing rotator cuff. Until then, I thought only the "poor" were uninsured. It was a wake-up call for me to the games of the insurance companies.

I was thrilled when Affordable Healthcare came along. It is not cheap (a $4000 annual deductible + montly fee). I saw it as a safety net for an extreme medical condition (which fortunately did not happen).

A friend, blasted me for engaging in Affordable Healthcare. Later I asked, since she was 65 at the time, if she had Medicare. She said "Yes". She did not see the irony. I do.
I'm curious to know your opinions.

This is a rhetorical question (often posed by liberals) such as-

"Do you like clean water"?
"Do you like clean air"?
"Do you want your children to be safe"?

EVERYONE wants affordable healthcare. However few want-

1. Obamacare
2. To pay for someone else's healthcare (thus making it "affordable" to them, but not to me).
3. A healthcare system/program that encougares:
a. employers to hire fewer people
b. convert people to part time
c. dump conventional healthcare insurance
4. A system in which reimbursement is so low, that physicians will not accept that coverage
5. A system in which government officials, not physicians, decide who recieves and does not recieve healthcare.
6. A system which forces someone to purchase something they do not want.

Am I on medicare? No
Will I ever be on medicare? Doubtful- I never plan on "retiring", as I enjoy my work
Do I want to pay premiums for a bunch of bums? No

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM

257 posts, read 295,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Blah, blah, blah.
Sorry. I do not understand your language. Are you a non-English speaking immigrant? If so, that's Okay - we accept many different peoples in this country. I would be interested in your opinion, but need real words, in English.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I have a problem with allowing the currently healthy to opt out and then opt-in when they get sick/injured. There needs to be some kind of waiting period, maybe a year, before a person's opt-in application takes effect. In the meantime, their name is in a national database and they must pay upfront before receiving any medical care. Some people will die because of their choice, but that's the way it goes...
There are waiting periods, the exchanges will have limited open enrollment. With that said, the underwriting rules are so bad that even with the wait periods, a healthy young person - and especially a healthy young man - not intending on getting pregnant in the next year who didn't have coverage through their employer or eligibility for having almost everything paid by subsidies would be an idiot to sign up.

You don't need draconian laws with nasty side effects to fix that though, just get rid of the 3:1 age underwriting cap and 1:1 gender underwriting rule in the law and you've fixed a large part of the problem. You'll still have the moral hazard and selection bias caused by a lack of medical underwriting, but it won't be nearly so bad as the mess the ACA will cause as-is if people react to it as rational actors (which they may not). Or alternatively you could crank the mandate penalties up, but that would be both politically and ethically problematic

As an aside you could achieve all the effects of the database/upfront idea without needing to kill people by just making the debt incurred non-dischargeable.....not that I'd support that either (non-dischargeable debt is dangerously close to serfdom), but it's strictly better policy on a comparative basis.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
There are waiting periods, the exchanges will have limited open enrollment. With that said, the underwriting rules are so bad that even with the wait periods, a healthy young person - and especially a healthy young man - not intending on getting pregnant in the next year who didn't have coverage through their employer or eligibility for having almost everything paid by subsidies would be an idiot to sign up.

You don't need draconian laws with nasty side effects to fix that though, just get rid of the 3:1 age underwriting cap and 1:1 gender underwriting rule in the law and you've fixed a large part of the problem. You'll still have the moral hazard and selection bias caused by a lack of medical underwriting, but it won't be nearly so bad as the mess the ACA will cause as-is if people react to it as rational actors (which they may not). Or alternatively you could crank the mandate penalties up, but that would be both politically and ethically problematic

As an aside you could achieve all the effects of the database/upfront idea without needing to kill people by just making the debt incurred non-dischargeable.....not that I'd support that either (non-dischargeable debt is dangerously close to serfdom), but it's strictly better policy on a comparative basis.
Healthy young men can and do get seriously sick/injured. All it would take is a few cases of a catastrophic illness/injury resulting in death due to lack of medical care, and healthy people of all ages would start rethinking their option to be uninsured. Removing the two underwriting caps and reinstating the moral hazard and selection bias is unacceptable. Making the debt incurred non-dischargeable does not have the same gravitas as does death....

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
For those who want Affordable Healthcare dismantled, Will you or do you accept government sponsored healthcare called Medicare (for those 65 and older)?

After years of working in the corporate world, I retained my COBRA upon early retirement. When it came time to obtain my personal health insurance I was shocked that I was rejected several times for "allergies" (for which I occasionally take Claritin OTC), and a healing rotator cuff. Until then, I thought only the "poor" were uninsured. It was a wake-up call for me to the games of the insurance companies.

I was thrilled when Affordable Healthcare came along. It is not cheap (a $4000 annual deductible + montly fee). I saw it as a safety net for an extreme medical condition (which fortunately did not happen).

A friend, blasted me for engaging in Affordable Healthcare. Later I asked, since she was 65 at the time, if she had Medicare. She said "Yes". She did not see the irony. I do.
I'm curious to know your opinions.
obamacare is not affordable, and covers far too much to be affordable. medicare, and medicaid, are much better deals than obamacare. as for your health insurance, there are companies out there that will find you affordable heath insurance that will cover all your conditions, and they have been around long before the obamacare act was even thought of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies