Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times

Advertisements

So Obama is reaching out to his Hollywood buddies to get them to promote Obamacare. Some of them (or a representative) attended a meeting with Obama's handler - Valerie Jarrett to discuss this "promotion". I tend to think it was to have Valerie explain to them her version of how great Obamacare will be because they don't have a clue what Obamacare is. Why should they when they will be able to afford the best medical treatment available.

This promotion is supposedly geared to the younger generation. I think the younger generation is very much in tune as to what is going on (more so than years past) and they know about Obamacare. Is this administration underestimating the intelligence of those he is appealing to, who apparently aren't interested in the program nor do they support it?

Some states are spending millions of taxpayer dollars promoting Obamacare. Quinn administration in Illinois is marked to spend $30-35 million dollars in federal grants to promote Obamacare.

Quote:
If you're like many Americans, you're already worried about the impact ObamaCare will have on you and your family. So, in an effort to avoid what Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., termed a "huge train wreck" in the making, the federal government has enlisted the help of several state governments to market the
law.

The Washington Post reports that states are planning to spend millions of federal tax dollars marketing ObamaCare. Some of those ideas include having airplanes fly banners across beaches, producing
ObamaCare-branded coffee cups, sponsoring iPhone charging stations, handing out ObamaCare-branded sunscreen and asking musicians to promote the law through radio and TV ads. Washington state is even considering placing ObamaCare-branded portable toilets at music events and festivals around the state.

And, of course, Illinois is at the forefront of this new marketing strategy. According to state officials, the Quinn administration plans to spend somewhere between $30 million and $35 million in federal grants
advertising ObamaCare. That's a lot of tax money to promote a law most Americans want repealed.

Of course, ObamaCare supporters have their work cut out for them. After all, it's probably pretty hard to market a law that's set to increase individual health insurance premiums by more than 50 percent in Illinois. And even after accounting for new federal subsidies, many will see their premiums go up.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/blog/...cleSource=6092

HHS has signed a $20 million deal with an ad agency.

If it's so great, why do some states need to spend millions to promote it (which would require paying ad agencies with taxpayer money) and why does Obama have to reach out to Hollywood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Hollywood Stars Promoting Obamacare: Will they convince you Obamacare is a good thing?
Obamacare is already showing that it's a good thing and that's why Republicans are trying to repeal it and undermine it. In NY and CA the cost of insurance has dropped -- a reverse of what was predicted. As the guy yelled out at the Obama speech yesterday, "My daughter now has healthcare," because children can remain on parent's family plans until 26.

As this New Republic article states. Conservatives Brace for the Possibility Obamacare Won't Totally Suck

Quote:
Once Americans can take advantage of the law’s benefits—once more low-income people become eligible for Medicaid, and once more low- and middle-income people start to get subsidies that will help them buy private insurance—taking those benefits away will be nearly impossible, particularly since Republicans still haven't proposed an alternative that would come close to providing the same level of security.
My guess is that despite being drenched in reality-repellent, Republicans are beginning to suspect an inconvenient truth: Obamacare is not going to be a self-destroying train wreck. Instead, it’s going to work — not perfectly, not as well as it should, but well enough to help far more people than it hurts. And if that’s how it turns out, it will be irreversible. So here comes a last-ditch effort to stop it, at all costs.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
These morons will NEVER be thrown into obamacare.

Of course they will hump obama's leg though.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
The young is "in tune" with what is going on? The young understand Obamacare? What planet did you just drop from?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Obamacare is already showing that it's a good thing and that's why Republicans are trying to repeal it and undermine it. In NY and CA the cost of insurance has dropped -- a reverse of what was predicted. As the guy yelled out at the Obama speech yesterday, "My daughter now has healthcare," because children can remain on parent's family plans until 26.

As this New Republic article states. Conservatives Brace for the Possibility Obamacare Won't Totally Suck

My guess is that despite being drenched in reality-repellent, Republicans are beginning to suspect an inconvenient truth: Obamacare is not going to be a self-destroying train wreck. Instead, it’s going to work — not perfectly, not as well as it should, but well enough to help far more people than it hurts. And if that’s how it turns out, it will be irreversible. So here comes a last-ditch effort to stop it, at all costs.

This guy's daughter is a deadbeat she is too cheap to sign up for her company's insurance plan or buy an individual policy online. I am sure old Dad is just happy having to pay for his kid's insurance premiums instead of going on that long overdue vacation.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I would not believe what a "Hollywood Star" has to say about anything, any time, any where.
Just because they are signatories to "The Standard Rich And Famous Contract" (re: The Muppet Movie) does NOT mean they know much.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
This guy's daughter is a deadbeat she is too cheap to sign up for her company's insurance plan or buy an individual policy online. I am sure old Dad is just happy having to pay for his kid's insurance premiums instead of going on that long overdue vacation.
Sorry, that opinion is decidedly misinformed and I'll tell you why. My employer provides individual plans, for single employees, or family plans for married employees. There are two rates, one for single-plans and one-for married plans. An employee who has a family plan that covers 2 children pays the same as an employee who has a family plan that covers 4 children. So, "old Dad" isn't paying anything more for his kid's insurance premiums. There is no extra-cost to the employee to keep a daughter on the family plan until 26.

Moreover, it's easy to label people you dislike "deadbeats." The fact is that many graduates can't find jobs or can't find jobs that provide healthcare. I see nothing wrong with not having to pay another insurance policy if the daughter can stay on a parent's plan.

The reason you don't like this provision is because it makes a good argument for Obamacare, which you don't like ideologically (even though it was the GOP's original idea.)

Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The young is "in tune" with what is going on? The young understand Obamacare? What planet did you just drop from?
You don't think young people in their 20s who are working don't know what is going on?

Oh, you silly willy. You thought I was talking about 6 year old kids. You can toddle off now.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Yeah, it's great kids can stay on their parents insurance. It would be even better if the economy was truly in recovery so these same kids could find a job out of school and not be forced to stay on those plans.

Sorry you can't find a job and begin your life but you can stay on the plan for a while.

I'm sure these kids would rather a job with a paycheck and their own health insurance plans.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You don't think young people in their 20s who are working don't know what is going on?

Oh, you silly willy. You thought I was talking about 6 year old kids. You can toddle off now.
That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard... even the EXPERTS and those who actually WROTE it don't even understand it... and you presume that those in their 20's to READ the bill and KNOW what is in it? That line of thinking sounds like a 6 year old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies