Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Houston woman says she killed man in self-defense - Houston Chronicle

So is stand your ground justified in this case?
I don't know. However, poorly written laws do lead to injustice, and heavens knows we have some poorly written laws on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Of course his stance had nothing to do with self defense. That was obvious from the 911 call. But he referred to it in that call as justification for doing what he was about to do. That is the point. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not kill these men as they were fleeing his neighbor's house and not his? Why did he shoot to kill? Is burglary, as offensive as it is, punishable by execution? I suppose it is in Taliban Texas law.
Thou shall not steal. :-)

Yes, in Texas we are allowed to do that. It's not Taliban law; it's good law for good citizens.

By the way, there's no shoot to wound or warning shot in the eyes of law. He didn't shoot to kill. He shot to stop them as they tried to run away. They should have stopped.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-25-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I don't know. However, poorly written laws do lead to injustice, and heavens knows we have some poorly written laws on the books.
Such as the laws that create Gun Free Zones.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,927 times
Quote:
Of course his stance had nothing to do with self defense. That was obvious from the 911 call. But he referred to it in that call as justification for doing what he was about to do. That is the point. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not kill these men as they were fleeing his neighbor's house and not his? Why did he shoot to kill? Is burglary, as offensive as it is, punishable by execution? I suppose it is in Taliban Texas law.
Here's an excerpt from New York Penal code Article 35 that sets out when deadly force may be used to the benefit of a third party...

"In order for a Person to be justified in using Deadly Physical Force, he/she must be factually correct that the person committing the crime is actually: using Deadly Physical Force on the Person or a 3rd person, committing Robbery, committing Arson, committing Burglary (it is advised that the Person retreat whenever possible), kidnapping, committing Forcible Rape, and/or committing Forcible Sodomy (Criminal Sexual Act)."

Joe Horn would likely have been held to the same standard in that incredibly oppressive state you're so sick of. Afterall, he was definitely factually correct that the men he killed were committing burglary.

Upstate New Yorkistan?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Houston woman says she killed man in self-defense - Houston Chronicle

So is stand your ground justified in this case?
Of course she was.

I hope it was a legally owned gun though....for her sake.

And, for her sake, I'm glad she had a gun handy.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,358 times
Quote:
I don't know why you believe that Horn would take a different course of action. It takes a lot of nerve to kill someone in cold blood when you are NOT in imminent danger, which clearly, he was not. This Horn guy was using this law to do what he felt like doing, without a second thought.

That being said, there will be many more questionable killings that most likely would be avoidable. Again, the roots of this law stem form the NRA and it is in their best interest to arm evey citizen for their bottom line. If even one killing is avoided by repealing this law it is well worth it. Do you not understand that as long as there are no witnesses, any person can fabricate any scenario they choose to justify using the SYG statute. Think of the ramifications. We are already seeing them and there have always been laws protecting people for justifiable self defense homicides, so why this one on steroids? Again...the NRA and their bottom line. As simple as that.
Look, you can view it any way you like. Horn was defending his neighbors and their property. You might not like the fact that there is danger in breaking the law, but it's about the only disincentive we have to prevent people from taking out property. Crime can be dangerous to your health, if you don't want to get shot, don't break into my home. Easy peasy.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Of course she was.

I hope it was a legally owned gun though....for her sake.

And, for her sake, I'm glad she had a gun handy.
Kind of doubt that gun was legal as she had quite a few assault cases before.

Even the gun is illegal, she still has the right to stand her ground and right to defend herself. If the guy displayed a knife within 21 feet, it would be an immediate justification to use deadly force without retreat.

I am not sure this is self defense though but would like to hear more. The report from the media is sketchy at the best.

The interesting part is that I don't hear from the mass calling her to retreat. If only she didn't step out of the car...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Kind of doubt that gun was legal as she had quite a few assault cases before.

Even the gun is illegal, she still has the right to stand her ground and right to defend herself. If the guy displayed a knife within 21 feet, it would be an immediate justification to use deadly force without retreat.

I am not sure this is self defense though but would like to hear more. The report from the media is sketchy at the best.
Well, since the shooter wasn't white, don't hold your breath.

BTW.....I thought that SYG could only be used by white men?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Well, since the shooter wasn't white, don't hold your breath.

BTW.....I thought that SYG could only be used by white men?
You mean white Hispanic, right?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,358 times
Quote:
The reason so many do it, so frequently, is because there is so little chance of any down side. Texas is aiming to change that, and I'm sorry you don't agree.

My opinion is that if you are a parasite on society, then there is no place for you in society, and our prisons are already full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies