Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
They didn't want to get sent back.
That alone shows you that the "white experience" hardly meant the same thing for all white people.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Because Africans and Indians were so kind and gentle towards their own.
Well, I am going to educate you since it seems that there is alot of misconception here. When you say "their own", it shows how little you know. There are hundreds of different ethnicities in Africa. The native languages are not the same. The Fulani, Woodabe, Mandinka, Venda, Matabele,Hutu,Tutsi, Ndebele, Xhosa, Kikuyu, Luo, Wolof, etc. The same goes for "Native Americans". You have the Navajo, Comanche, Haida,Chickasaw, Choctaw, Cherokee, Iroquois, Ojibwe, Chippewa, Hidatsa, Nez Perce, Shoshoni, Apache, Maya, Aztec, etc. They are all of different ethnicities, so this idea of "they went after their own people" is a fallacy on so many levels, and it shows a very high level of ignorance. Wars were between different ethnicities. It was no different than when the fighting in former Yugoslavia took place. Or when sectarian violence was taking place in Northern Ireland. Atrocities took place between fellow Americans during the Civil War.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
My grandparents were Polish and Hungarian immigrants...they were treated like **** and worked in life threatening conditions...but still made it work and didn't whine about it.

Is that the awesome white experience?
Being an immigrant is not the same as being Black in America. And eventually, European immigrants could identify as "White" and get the benefits of that. Go read "How The Irish Became White".

Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Being an immigrant is not the same as being Black in America. And eventually, European immigrants could identify as "White" and get the benefits of that. Go read "How The Irish Became White".
Nobody said it was the same thing. But complaining that it wasn't is just that....complaining.

All I was saying was...there is no "White Experience" because plenty of white people were dumped on in this country. It being relative to how blacks were treated bears no significance. Unless, of course, the argument being made was that some white people had privilege while others, not so much. But we know better then to assume that, right?

Because if that's the case...we can find historical relevance outside of America that can marginalize the experience of black of American slaves. Why should these be disregarded? You can't make moral arguments in a vacuum.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Nobody said it was the same thing. But complaining that it wasn't is just that....complaining.

All I was saying was...there is no "White Experience" because plenty of white people were dumped on in this country. It being relative to how blacks were treated bears no significance.

Because if that's the case...we can find historical relevance outside of America that can marginalize the experience of black of American slaves. Why should these be disregarded? You can't make moral arguments in a vacuum.
If it bear no significance, how come there are those try to mention this in terms of "we are better than so and so"? I feel like that is part of why. I can't tell why some things are being said. I said what I said because I felt like I had to mention it.

As for outside of the USA, Blacks were treated poorly there as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
If it bear no significance, how come there are those try to mention this in terms of "we are better than so and so"? I feel like that is part of why. I can't tell why some things are being said. I said what I said because I felt like I had to mention it.

As for outside of the USA, Blacks were treated poorly there as well.
Blacks along with mongols, hungarians, russians, koreans, scots, etc. etc.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Blacks along with mongols, hungarians, russians, koreans, scots, etc. etc.
But this is the thing. I live in America. I am here, in this nation. People are thinking about they experiences they went through.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
But this is the thing. I live in America. I am here, in this nation. People are thinking about they experiences they went through.
Which is why I said....

"You can't make moral arguments in a vacuum" otherwise, you are simply arguing for preference and what suits YOUR best interest.

If your sentiment is one that runs throughout the black American community...then why should anybody care how they feel or think?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Which is why I said....

"You can't make moral arguments in a vacuum" otherwise, you are simply arguing for preference and what suits YOUR best interest.

If your sentiment is one that runs throughout the black American community...then why should anybody care how they feel or think?
Actually, you are missing my point. My point is that we are talking about what goes on in the USA. That was my point.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Actually, you are missing my point. My point is that we are talking about what goes on in the USA. That was my point.
That's fine if it's an idle discussion that doesn't propose massive propagandist actions be taken.

Of course, in modern American society that is hardly the case when it comes to discussions of this flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies