Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

^Considering the age gap, there is one way to prove this. We have to account for who approves of interracial marriage in both races by age. We could see how big the age gap is within the race.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:42 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
^Considering the age gap, there is one way to prove this. We have to account for who approves of interracial marriage in both races by age. We could see how big the age gap is within the race.
Like this?

Chapter 4: Public Attitudes on Intermarriage | Pew Research Center

Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its envy... they hate us because they ain't us
We hate you because of your behavior ...

Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM

57 posts, read 65,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Black men marry outside their race at a lower percentage than any other minority group. Whites don't count because they're the majority and it's not possible for all whites to marry a person of color, even if they wanted to.

The myth is that brothas are all over the white booty, but its not really true. The reality is that, the BM/WF pairing is the most striking and evokes a visceral reaction in all people whether it shows on their faces or not.
Can you provide those stats? I know that white men have the highest interracial marriage rates of all men, but black men have the second highest rate (when black Latinos, Africans and Caribs who reside in U.S. are added to the numbers). If 30% of black men married non black women in 2012, this is a substantial figure, because the number of black men marrying anyone is relatively low to begin with.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_456 View Post
Can you provide those stats? I know that white men have the highest interracial marriage rates of all men, but black men have the second highest rate (when black Latinos, Africans and Caribs who reside in U.S. are added to the numbers). If 30% of black men married non black women in 2012, this is a substantial figure, because the number of black men marrying anyone is relatively low to begin with.
What you "know" isn't so. Hispanic men have the highest intermarriage rate of all males.

//www.city-data.com/forum/34546251-post567.html

Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM

684 posts, read 869,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
The good news: In Gallup's latest poll, a record 87% of Americans approve of interracial marriage between blacks and whites, up from 4% in 1958. This issue has broad support among all races and regions of the country, even the south (83% support).

In U.S., 87% Approve of Black-White Marriage, vs. 4% in 1958

The not so great news: Since Gallup began polling the issue in 1968, there has always been a gap between the opinions of blacks and whites. In the first survey, 56% of blacks approved yet only 17% of whites said the same. Since then it has narrowed by a lot, but today the approval gap between blacks and whites is still 12 points (96% approval to 84% approval.)

I'd like to know what people think of this, especially the white conservatives on this forum who constantly argue that blacks are just as racist as whites.

This reminds me of this topic I brought up about the 2000 initiative in Alabama to legalize interracial marriage
//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ites-myth.html
I read the topic erroneously. deleted

Last edited by Wudge; 04-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: bad read on question

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Black men marry outside their race at a lower percentage than any other minority group. Whites don't count because they're the majority and it's not possible for all whites to marry a person of color, even if they wanted to.

The myth is that brothas are all over the white booty, but its not really true. The reality is that, the BM/WF pairing is the most striking and evokes a visceral reaction in all people whether it shows on their faces or not.
This is my take on it. You are free to differ on this, but this is just how I see it. Black men marrying outside of their race at lower rates, well, this is how I look at it.

1) Marriage rates among Blacks have been dropping dramatically over the last 40 years. One has to ask this. Which age group within the adult Black population is the most likely to be married? That needs to be considered because my theory is that the bulk of Blacks who marry within their race have been married for at least 30 years.

2) Racial hierarchy. I think Blacks marry outside of their race at lesser rates, not because they desire it the least. Rather, I think it is because of the way the racial hierarchy has been used. Blacks have been placed at the bottom of the racial hierarchy, and are pretty much looked down on. Consider this. In Oklahoma, it wasn't against the law for Whites and Native Americans to get married to one another. However, it was against the law for Blacks to intermarry outside of their race. I would say Blacks are involved in interracial marriages at lesser rates, not because they don't want to be involved, but because other groups are liked better than Blacks. I've seen it for myself. People who are for interracial marriage, as long as it doesn't involved a Black male.

That is just my theory. You can critique it if you like.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:31 PM

57 posts, read 65,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What you "know" isn't so. Hispanic men have the highest intermarriage rate of all males.

//www.city-data.com/forum/34546251-post567.html
There are far more white men in the U.S. than Hispanic. Also, "Hispanic" is not a racial classification; therefore, I'm not sure why the term "Hispanic" is consistently used.

The graph only shows percentages and not raw numbers. To really get an idea of the number of marriages within each group, you have to look at the actual raw numbers.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:56 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
maybe. of course marriage stats don't support this claim. most married black men are married to black women.
Check into the marriage stats of black men who become very successful, you'll see their preference changes.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_456 View Post
Not really. You can't compare percentages to absolute numbers. 30% of black men marrying non-black women is exactly the same statistic as 30% of white men marrying non-white women. It isn't any more or less substantial. The proportion is the same irrespective of whether one is 30% of a thousand and the other is 30% of a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies