Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times

Advertisements

"According to a much-publicized study on social mobility, i.e. the ability of poor people’s children to rise above their parents’ humble station, the single strongest negative correlation has been found to be the share of single mothers in any given region. Number two on the list is the divorce rate.

Given the soaring rate of single motherhood, this is really depressing news. So much for those “strong, empowered single moms…”
Yet another blemish on the ugly legacy of feminism. Sometimes, I wonder how these people have the nerve to show their faces in public given all the damage they’ve done."

Single Motherhood: Strongest Predictor of Low Social Mobility - The Spearhead

Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
What does this have to do with relationships?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
The % of single mothers is highly correlated with racial composition and is probably a more powerful predictor.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
It was my understanding that there was a correlation between location and poverty and income mobility, not necessarily single motherhood. The study also stated there was no proof of causation only correlation and further studies needed to be done.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
i'm confused about how to define 'single mother.'

my parents divorced when i was 4, and my dad moved two blocks away and remained very involved in my life.

technically i was 'raised by a single mother', but i don't fit any of these stereotypes the article seems to be presuming are characteristics of single-mother households. we weren't "poor people’s children."

So what, exactly, are these people measuring? Are they just showing us that poor people are likely to stay poor? Are they just showing us that single parents are more likely to be poor?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
"According to a much-publicized study on social mobility, i.e. the ability of poor people’s children to rise above their parents’ humble station, the single strongest negative correlation has been found to be the share of single mothers in any given region. Number two on the list is the divorce rate.

Given the soaring rate of single motherhood, this is really depressing news. So much for those “strong, empowered single moms…”
Yet another blemish on the ugly legacy of feminism. Sometimes, I wonder how these people have the nerve to show their faces in public given all the damage they’ve done."

Hmm, idk how this pertains to the relationships forum, & idk why you're actually even posting this
All I can say is wow.
I expected more from you than this...
When I've read other posters critiques of your posts, I kind of gave you the benefit of a doubt.
This one though, I object to.
It's hypocritical to judge single parents, when you don't even have kids.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:

Ahh. My kids father died when they were very young so I was a single mother. Im certainly not ashamed to be a feminist or to show my face in public. I do not feel I have caused anyone any damage. If not for feminism I would not have been able to advance my education, get a career and support my children. I would have had to live in poverty on the tax payers dime or crawled back under my parents wings.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Hmm, idk how this pertains to the relationships forum, & idk why you're actually even posting this
All I can say is wow.
I expected more from you than this...
When I've read other posters critiques of your posts, I kind of gave you the benefit of a doubt.
This one though, I object to.
It's hypocritical to judge single parents, when you don't even have kids.
I think that in our world today many make mockery out of the institution of marriage. Results are what we see every day as well as slow degradation and destruction of our society. A natural correction will take place, I have no doubt about that. There is a reason I post things, a very specific reason.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Because your a Debbie downer?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:

This is NOT a blemish on feminism. It is a shameful testament on how little this country cares about children.

Some of the highest rates of single motherhood are the in the Scandinavian countries (e.g. Norway, Denmark, Sweden). Yet, the children of single parents in those countries have few of the problems children of single parents do in the US. You know wnhy? Because those countries care about children.

They provide everyone, including children, with free, quality medical care. They provide free, quality education. They provide day care, parental leave, and all kind of other supports for families. They also pay require employers to pay living wages, allow people to freely join unions, and provide unrestricted access to birth control and abortion. And BTW, they are among the least religious societies in the world.

What does the USA do to help families? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. All we offer is a bunch of empty talk about "family values."

This is not a failure of feminism. It is testament to how much conservatives have done to undermine feminism and destroy families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies