Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,001,571 times

Advertisements

...with special emphasis on how that affects relationships.

This thread was inspired by a dream I had . I was walking across the campus of our local university (as part of a much longer and more complex dream) and I came across a young guy giving a talk to a group of 30/40/50 year olds. He had a long list up on a whiteboard or something, of wrongs done to men. The only item on it that I remember had to do with war.

I asked him (this did not feel like an interruption, the way it would IRL), 'Is this list about sexism?' He saw that I had tears in my eyes from reading the list, and he looked at his audience and they all did. He said, 'Are you guys making fun of me? Did you plan this?'

I woke up and I thought., 'That was a dream about CDR!' The paranoia, the lack of belief that people might actually care. Anyway, then I thought, 'You know, it's not a half-bad idea for a thread '.

--

So, here are my thoughts, and please add yours:

- The way more men than women are sent to war. The draft. Veterans and their families can speak to this better than I can, but I imagine the physical and emotional wounds have a huge effect on relationships, lifelong.

- The larger picture that war is a part of: The idea that men are the expendable sex. That they should work the most dangerous jobs -- physically or in terms of mental stress. The injuries, deaths, and heart attacks. Never seeing the kids.

- The idea that men are valued in a relationship for what they do, not what they are. The pressure to value themselves for what they produce, or how much money they have.

- The pressure to pretend all their emotional needs are really a need for sex. Touch, closeness, emotional intimacy, being understood...

- The pressure to be extremely sexual all the time. I remember the bitterness in a male friend's voice one time, when I asked him why he hadn't said no in a situation he was complaining about: 'Men can't say no to sex'. Like it wasn't allowed. Or the way men don't let each other, or themselves, heal from a broken heart, but instead put on the pressure to 'get back out there' within, like, a week.

-Sexism also says that men's sexuality is 'evil', that every man is a potential rapist, that seeing a woman and desiring her is somehow an assault. (This item contradicts the one above, but both are true, IME. Societal oppressions don't make logical sense.)

- Having to do almost all the initiating in dating. I didn't know, until I came to this forum, how painful this is to many men. How it makes them feel undesired.

- The lack of an organised movement for men (besides the misogynist one). This is different, because it's not a result of codified laws or mores, but I still think it is a result of sexism, of the idea that men are competition to each other, not support. Women had to get past a similar societal idea, to form second wave feminism. This makes men feel so alone, I think, not having a name for what they experience.

--

So, this is the kind of stuff feminists think about, for those who don't know. We don't hate men; we love men. (Many of us are men, and most of the rest are hetero or bi women.) We just hate sexism, wherever we see it.

--

Alright people, what else belongs on this list? My hands are sore from typing!

Last edited by NilaJones; 07-26-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

- The way more men than women are sent to war. The draft. Veterans and their families can speak to this better than I can, but I imagine the physical and emotional wounds have a huge effect on relationships, lifelong.

- The larger picture that war is a part of: The idea that men are the expendable sex. That they should work the most dangerous jobs -- physically or in terms of mental stress. The injuries, deaths, and heart attacks. Never seeing the kids.
Men are more expendable of our species. We only need one man to mate with multiple women.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,647 times
Quote:

So, this is the kind of stuff feminists think about, for those who don't know. We don't hate men; we love men. (Many of us are men, and most of the rest are hetero or bi women.) We just hate sexism, wherever we see it.
If that is true, why aren't feminists fighting for shared custody laws?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
- The pressure to be extremely sexual all the time. I remember the bitterness in a male friend's voice one time, when I asked him why he hadn't said no in a situation he was complaining about: 'Men can't say no to sex'. Like it wasn't allowed. Or the way men don't let each other, or themselves, heal from a broken heart, but instead put on the pressure to 'get back out there' within, like, a week.
!
Isn't it "The pressure to NOT be extremely sexual all the time."? Seriously.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM

87 posts, read 105,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Or getting rid of no fault divorce, which can allow a woman to do anything she wants to ruin a marriage, and still get the kids and half his stuff.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:

- Having to do almost all the initiating in dating. I didn't know, until I came to this forum, how painful this is to many men. How it makes them feel undesired.

The only thing worse than being expected to be the initiator in dating is NOT being expected to be the initiator in dating. I'd much rather be in control of that custom. I'd rather be rejected but move on than not be asked out at all.

87 posts, read 105,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Isn't it "The pressure to NOT be extremely sexual all the time."? Seriously.
Great point. Men's sexual desires are demonized by feminism, not encouraged.

6,732 posts, read 10,001,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post

We are.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

- The idea that men are valued in a relationship for what they do, not what they are. The pressure to value themselves for what they produce, or how much money they have.

Similar to above. I'd rather be valued for what I do than I am for how I look. I have more control over how successful I am in life than I am in how I look (ugly, short, fat, bald, etc). Women are more likely to be valued in how they look.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,647 times
Quote:
We are.
Where is the evidence for that? Please point to me these feminists group that are supporting shared custody laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies