Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,806 times

Advertisements

This goes for all media. Left, right, center. Is the state of so called journalism and news media to the point where there are no standards? They cant cover anything without mocking and immature headlines? Its as if every so called adult in our society today is fascinated with sex. Even the news media. They cant cover a story without headline after headine, one line after one line, of immature schtick youd expect from a teenage boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Maybe Im wrong, but I doubt it. But I get the feeling many Democrats would elect Bill Clinton again if they could, in a heartbeat. But say they are against AW now. What Bill Clinton did, especially as a sitting POTUS, was far worse than what Weiner did. There's really no comparison. The guy had sexual relations with a friggin intern in the Oval Office for Pete's sake. Thats on top of past allegations.
What's worse is people think getting a BJ is more harmful to the country than selling weapons to an enemy

Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I guess no one knows Weiner gets paid each year for life for serving in Congress. That is what our politicians vote for themselves. Lifetime pensions, even if they only served one term. Nice huh?

I'm not feeling sorry for Weiner, just for his victims, the public he served and I don't feel much sorrow for them if they elect him. They will get what they deserve.
Your statement is FALSE.

The key provision: no member of Congress is eligible for any pension unless he or she has served in Congress for at least five years. (Senators serve six-year terms; House members must seek reelection every two years.)

To collect, a congressman or senator must be age 62, or be age 50 with 20 years of service, or be any age with 25 years of service.

A three-term congressman (or one-term senator) who has now reached retirement age would be eligible for an annual pension of $17,588 for six years of work. That's extremely generous, but not even close to full pay. (Members of Congress are also eligible for Social Security.)
PolitiFact Rhode Island | Email message says members of Congress get a full pension for serving just one term

Weiner served in the House for a little over 11 years, so he is eligible for a pension, but is not 62yr old yet, so he has yet to see a penny of it. The reason why most people in Congress get a pension for life once they leave Congress is because most people leave Congress well past 62.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
This goes for all media. Left, right, center. Is the state of so called journalism and news media to the point where there are no standards? They cant cover anything without mocking and immature headlines? Its as if every so called adult in our society today is fascinated with sex. Even the news media. They cant cover a story without headline after headine, one line after one line, of immature schtick youd expect from a teenage boy.
Journalism isn't what it used to be. What a shame they learned nothing from the Murrow boys

Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I guess no one knows Weiner gets paid each year for life for serving in Congress. That is what our politicians vote for themselves. Lifetime pensions, even if they only served one term. Nice huh?

I'm not feeling sorry for Weiner, just for his victims, the public he served and I don't feel much sorrow for them if they elect him. They will get what they deserve.
The only victims are his family. All his exchanges were with anonymous women, except Sydney Leathers who is getting her 15 minutes of fame, who were willingly seeking willing parties and looking for someone to interact with.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 AM

27,122 posts, read 15,305,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think it's more King Kong, with a Stern twist. Either way it makes the point.

Everyone is questioning what the syringe is about.

Weiner's addiction of course.

Don't forget the lack of self control associated with that too.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
I would not want a last name like Weiner. Surprised his first names not Dick.

Weiner has a drug problem or is ADD, BI Polar or something.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Default Weiner Won't Drop Out

Looks like he's in the mayoral race to the very end.

Well, may the best weiner win!

Weiner Race - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies