Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times

Advertisements

Good luck, kids. Most politicians today (both sides) put party before country.

Young GOP leaders see need for substantive changes

Young GOP leaders see need for substantive changes | Political Headlines | Comcast

Republicans hoping to reach beyond the party's white, aging core must do more than retool campaign strategy and tactics, say young GOP leaders pressing elected officials to offer concrete policies to counter Democratic initiatives.

"It's very easy to just say no, and there are times where it's appropriate to say no," said Jason Weingartner of New York, the newly elected chairman of the Young Republican National Federation. "But there are times where you need to lead and present ideas on the issues of the day."

Weingartner and other under-40 activists at a recent national young Republican gathering in Mobile said their party must follow an all-of-the-above approach. Their assessment goes beyond the more general prescriptions that many party leaders, including Reince Priebus, the Republican National Committee chairman, have offered since November, when Republicans lost the popular vote for the fifth time in the past six presidential elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
I disagree with the conclusion that both parties put party before country. When Bush was President, the Democrats often went along with Bush for the good of the nation.

However, it is true that unless the GOP changes but it surely looks like they aren't willing to do it.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM

688 posts, read 652,100 times
The GOP is on course to become obsolete. The current strategy of ultra-conservatism on social issues is alienating young voters, and once the GOP is forced to right its course for survival, it will come across as disingenuous. Stupid social policies like oral sex bans, vaginal probes, and unrealistic & expensive deportation approaches may be en vogue for conservatives at the moment, but it's going to look real dumb going forward.

Last edited by CDJD; 07-29-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I disagree with the conclusion that both parties put party before country. When Bush was President, the Democrats often went along with Bush for the good of the nation.

However, it is true that unless the GOP changes but it surely looks like they aren't willing to do it.
Of course won't change...because somebody needs to play the "bad cop".

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
The GOP is on course to become obsolete. The current strategy of ultra-conservatism on social issues is alienating young voters, and once the GOP is forced to right its course for survival, it will come across as disingenuous. Stupid social policies like oral sex bans, vaginal probes, and unrealistic & expensive deportation approaches may be en vogue for the socially conservative at the moment, but it's going to look real dumb going forward.
I think it's less that the GOP is on course to becoming obsolete as it is that younger conservatives under 40 have a more libertarian, open bent that isn't hostile towards other groups. It might take a while (20 years or so) but I think it's highly unlikely that conservative principles are a problem at all. Racism, while clearly in existence, is frowned upon today, and homophobia is quickly headed in that direction. The GOP might be a little more accepting, but I don't think it will become obsolete. (I actually think there's a good chance it will come back stronger because a lot of people vote for Democrats who don't truly support what they're doing.)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM

688 posts, read 652,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I think it's less that the GOP is on course to becoming obsolete as it is that younger conservatives under 40 have a more libertarian, open bent that isn't hostile towards other groups. It might take a while (20 years or so) but I think it's highly unlikely that conservative principles are a problem at all. Racism, while clearly in existence, is frowned upon today, and homophobia is quickly headed in that direction. The GOP might be a little more accepting, but I don't think it will become obsolete. (I actually think there's a good chance it will come back stronger because a lot of people vote for Democrats who don't truly support what they're doing.)
I agree that young GOPers tend toward libertarian ideals, but, from what I've observed, this tends toward the "stay out of my personal choices," and current republican social policies are quite intrusive in that regard. A bigger issue for the party is that "white America" is not the future of America, and openly anti-Latino policies (and subsequent costs) aren't going to be looked upon as favorable with the soon-to-be Hispanic majority. Once the aging GOP loses Texas' Electoral College votes to the growing young/Latino population, republicans will have a tough hill to climb if they are to remain relevant. Old white people may be the hand that's feeding the republican party today, but that hand is dying... literally.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
From the link:
On health care, Weingartner said that besides regularly voting to repeal Obama's law, the GOP should emphasize its own ideas such as buying insurance across state lines, while better explaining the Affordable Care Act's cost shift onto younger, healthy individuals

There is an unprecedented 50 different protected state insurance fiefdoms appointed by state government. 50 different lobbies, laws and processes. Insanity.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
From the link:
On health care, Weingartner said that besides regularly voting to repeal Obama's law, the GOP should emphasize its own ideas such as buying insurance across state lines, while better explaining the Affordable Care Act's cost shift onto younger, healthy individuals

There is an unprecedented 50 different protected state insurance fiefdoms appointed by state government. 50 different lobbies, laws and processes. Insanity.

And I agree. the GOP is so locked into the knee-jerk no that they are missing one hell of an opportunity to make themselves look good, and to improve Obamacare. But they are so intent on blocking everything they're missing the big picture.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Quote:
"But there are times where you need to lead and present ideas on the issues of the day."
Ah, young pups. there is nothing like the day when wide-eyed enthusiasm hits the **** fan of reality.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
From the link:

Yet it's one of the core planks in the GOP's health care platform, and has been since they had to abandon their old one because it became Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies