Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,748,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Did she work outside of the home? Most poor families are WORKING poor, so mom is usually holding down a more than 40 hour a week job for minimum wage plus trying to care for kids. . And for the record--I don't know anyone back in the day, unless they were dirt poor and living in a shack without electricity, who didn't at least have a wringer washing machine. Sorry, but that's NOT the way people lived before disposables, or at least not since the early 1900s. If that's the standard, then I guess we should all go back to kerosene lamps and candles too.
How is that anyone else s fault? who is to blame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM

808 posts, read 663,201 times
Quote:
I raised 5 kids. No one has EVER in my life called me lazy--that would be laughable. I tried cloth diapers briefly with my boys, and the idea of hand washing them out in the bathtub every night is absolutely ridiculous.

First--they need to be SCRUBBED to get them clean--they have ground in feces--which means rubbing the fabric together with your hands isn't going to cut it--you need to use an old fashioned scrub board if you're not going to use a washing machine. How many of those have you seen lately in the laundry aisle at Target or Walmart? . Second, they need to be disinfected. You can bleach them, but a couple of my kids had fairly sensitive skin as babies, and had skin reactions to the bleached diapers. If you don't use bleach, then you have to wash the diapers and boil them on top of the stove to kill the bacteria. Using cloth diapers isn't easy or simple if you use a washing machine. If you had to hand wash them, it would be a nightmare.

so, get you lazy butt up and scrub them. then boil them in a big pot on a stove - for disinfection. or you can iron them, but boiling is much easier.

nothing wrong with that.
you have running water in the house which millions of mothers all over the world do not and they still wash the diapers.

Every night.

And if you can not and need the money for the disposable ones - turn off your cable - until you can afford it. or change your plan on the cell phone.

Sheesh.. This entitlement mindset is disgusting.
Nightmare, really.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM

7,815 posts, read 6,399,445 times
Liberals should donate some of their own diapers. Might be a few sizes too big, but they can make em work.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Vinegar. Amazingly, there are very few household cleaning chores that vinegar cannot accomplish. I did learn the hard way that vinegar will dry the hell out of your hands, so gloves are a must.
or just plain boiling water - the best disinfectant and the best to sensitive kids skin

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Vinegar. Amazingly, there are very few household cleaning chores that vinegar cannot accomplish. I did learn the hard way that vinegar will dry the hell out of your hands, so gloves are a must.
You can do a lot with a bottle of vinegar, can of WD40 and some duct tape.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Did she work outside of the home? Most poor families are WORKING poor, so mom is usually holding down a more than 40 hour a week job for minimum wage plus trying to care for kids. . And for the record--I don't know anyone back in the day, unless they were dirt poor and living in a shack without electricity, who didn't at least have a wringer washing machine. Sorry, but that's NOT the way people lived before disposables, or at least not since the early 1900s. If that's the standard, then I guess we should all go back to kerosene lamps and candles too.
most NY apartments do not allow washing machines inside.
If she does not have strength and time to wash and boil by hands, then she needs either cut off the expenses on the fun things for the laundromat or disposables or restructure the help in the family.

It is not taxpayers responsibility to pay for her kids diapers.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Liberals should donate some of their own diapers. Might be a few sizes too big, but they can make em work.
Where in the article does it state that she is a "Liberal"?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Diaper crisis among poor families endangers children, study finds - latimes.com

Oh...My....God....

"Cloth diapers are often not an option because they require frequent and expensive trips to the laundromat."

Expensive? really? Last time I was in a laundromat, it was less than 2 bucks to run a washer. What's it up to these days, 30 bucks? If you don't have a washer at home, you gotta go do laundry anyhow.

Modern disposable diapers are a luxury. Disposable diapers are really nice, but if I was making 15,000 a year and couldn't afford them, I'd just use Cloth diapers, which are FAR more cost effective, but they do require more effort.

This is like saying because I can't afford a brand new car, I can't get a job.
People are getting more and more stupid as time goes by. Now they can't even figure out how to wash diapers by hand. Yet, we support these cretins with our tax dollars and they CONTINUE TO BREED indiscriminately. At what point, I wonder, are they going to become too stupid to wipe their own behinds and will have to have a government sponsored employee come around and do it for them?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
And if you can not and need the money for the disposable ones - turn off your cable - until you can afford it. or change your plan on the cell phone.

Nightmare, really.
Or just get rid of the cell phone. People lived a few thousand years without them.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
so, get you lazy butt up and scrub them. then boil them in a big pot on a stove - for disinfection. or you can iron them, but boiling is much easier.

nothing wrong with that.
you have running water in the house which millions of mothers all over the world do not and they still wash the diapers.

Every night.

Nightmare, really.
You think I have an entitlement mindset? You don't know who you're talking too, lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies