Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I get sick of this tired red herring

States dont use food stamps and how do you classify a state as Red
So clever, reminds me of my ex-husband who would argue about anything. More people in "red" states use food stamps. Red states are those WHOSE VOTERS vote Republican. Happy now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,162,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So clever, reminds me of my ex-husband who would argue about anything. More people in "red" states use food stamps. Red states are those WHOSE VOTERS vote Republican. Happy now?

I think everybody has an ex like that...

Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,906,933 times
Btw my mom used to wash cloth diapers when I was a baby. We weren't poor at all, not sure if disposables were around. As it turns out when my brother was born a few years later disposables came on the market and my aunt worked for one of the biggest diaper companies so my parents got diapers for free.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Does that cost under $100? That was the point A couple of people here were claiming that 1) you can pick up a used washer for under $100 (which is true) but 2) that low income housing USUALLY has a washer hook up. That's NOT true. If you don't have a hook up for a washer, you can't very well put in a cheap used washer. If you can't afford diapers, how are you going to come up with $219 for a portable unit?

My only point with this whole thing is that you guys don't think. You believe that people have problems or struggle only because they're LAZY, and that the answer is always some kind of simple, knee jerk response. Some people ARE lazy, but there's a big chunk who are in tough situations through no fault of their own--illness, job loss, divorce--you name it. In the original link, they mentioned a disabled woman with a young child who was having a tough time affording diapers, but the start up costs of going to cloth diapers was prohibitive, along with the cost of way more trips to the laundromat. Why is that so tough to understand?
The VAST majority of low income families who claim they can't afford to use cloth diapers are NOT in that category. Why is that so tough to understand?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Get your OBAMAIPERS right here!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The use of food stamps is more prevalent in Republican-leaning counties.
Food Stamp Use is Highest in Red States: The Truth Republicans Do Not Want You to Know

So much for your theory...
LOL... You're actually trying to cite policymic.com as a legitimate source, with a straight face? A site run by a bunch of 20 somethings who still live in their parents' basements?

Such citations may be acceptable in High School Sociology class, but such biased sites don't pass muster in the real world.

Nice try, though.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Up until 1962 my aunt had no running water (nor electric) in the house and she raised 3 children.
My great grandmother had no running water or electricity and no disposable diapers and she raised 13 children. She also had no car, no vacuum cleaner, made her own soap, grew her own vegetables and canned, butchered her own chickens. She would have washed homemade diapers out by hand.

My neo-hippie niece makes homemade diapers from old rags that people would otherwise just throw away.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
How did people make it through the depression without dying?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,162,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
LOL... You're actually trying to cite policymic.com as a legitimate source, with a straight face? A site run by a bunch of 20 somethings who still live in their parents' basements?

Such citations may be acceptable in High School Sociology class, but such biased sites don't pass muster in the real world.

Nice try, though.
Nice try back atchya...

Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth - Bloomberg

Republican dominant counties eat most of food stamp growth - Portland TV | Examiner.com

Let's not get off topic.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How did people make it through the depression without dying?
Grit, determination, and most importantly, self-reliance and self-sufficiency.

I believe it's something everyone is capable of. Unfortunately nowadays self-reliance and self-sufficiency aren't characteristics that are respected and encouraged as they should be. The spread of Liberalism has encouraged too many people to become dependants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies