Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Does that cost under $100? That was the point A couple of people here were claiming that 1) you can pick up a used washer for under $100 (which is true) but 2) that low income housing USUALLY has a washer hook up. That's NOT true. If you don't have a hook up for a washer, you can't very well put in a cheap used washer. If you can't afford diapers, how are you going to come up with $219 for a portable unit?

My only point with this whole thing is that you guys don't think. You believe that people have problems or struggle only because they're LAZY, and that the answer is always some kind of simple, knee jerk response. Some people ARE lazy, but there's a big chunk who are in tough situations through no fault of their own--illness, job loss, divorce--you name it. In the original link, they mentioned a disabled woman with a young child who was having a tough time affording diapers, but the start up costs of going to cloth diapers was prohibitive, along with the cost of way more trips to the laundromat. Why is that so tough to understand?
It's hard to understand because this woman had 9 months to prepare for the arrival of her baby and she did not stock up on enough diapers to last even one year.
Has she had no income for the last 20 months? Not a spare dime to invest in diapers before investing in furniture or other non-essentials? This is the point I don't get.

(I lost my job when I was 5 months pregnant, but still managed to buy enough diapers to last me for three years. My mom actually bought me the other 2 dozen.)

The woman is disabled. It does not say what her disability is. Judging by the picture, she can squat to her child's level. Can she carry a load of laundry from point A to point B? I really don't know.
However, I've mentioned this already, we all have laundry to do every single week. There is no excuse about doing laundry (any which way it gets done... tub, sink, or washer) that could include diapers if one is too poor to buy disposables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My great grandmother had no running water or electricity and no disposable diapers and she raised 13 children. She also had no car, no vacuum cleaner, made her own soap, grew her own vegetables and canned, butchered her own chickens. She would have washed homemade diapers out by hand.

My neo-hippie niece makes homemade diapers from old rags that people would otherwise just throw away.
Good for her. There sure are a lot of online patterns to choose from now.

If I knew 30 years ago how to make cloth diapers I would have.

I have been making baby clothes for a friend and asked her if she wanted me to make her some cloth diapers and she declined. Her response, "I don't want to deal with that nasty crap!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,481 times
I have nothing against disposable diapers (except for the landfill mess), nor against mothers that use them. I just get ticked when poor people whine about not being able to afford them when there is an affordable way to diaper your baby.

I forgot to mention earlier that I do think the program mentioned in the article is a good one. To reward young mothers with free diapers for attending parenting classes is quite smart. Whatever keeps 'em going and learning how to better care for their kids will help society as a whole.

And, to the poster who calls them sposies, wherever did this name come from? I never heard it before.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I wonder how much money was spent on such a silly story. They could have bought tons of diapers with that money.

"'All just different ways of saying, 'Shut up!"'

~ Andrew Klaven

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM

37,121 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Default $9.87 diaper washer

How to Handwash Cloth Diapers: Bucket Washer Method - YouTube

Assembling the washer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=FSPyAqPU4_g

The Homer bucket, $2.60:

Homer Bucket 5-Gal. Orange Bucket-05GLHD2 at The Home Depot

Lid, $1.28:

Leaktite 5-Gal. Homer Leakproof Lid-5GLD ORANGE LID for 5GL HOMER PAIL at The Home Depot

Plunger, $5.99:

W.M. Harvey Heavy-Duty Force Cup Plunger-090295 at The Home Depot

You can add a diaper dryer for $14.97:

Mainstays 23.5' Drying Rack - Walmart.com

Add elbow grease. It's good exercise.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,787,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
typical...you are to poor to be poor thread.

going to the laundry mat does not just entail the cost of the washer and dryers.

add the cost of laundry supplies and paying to get to the laundy mat. Unlike towles and underwear, diapers dont hold up till the end of the week wash. they have urine and fecal matter. having to run to the laundry mat every other day is a chore. not to mention if you have a newborn in tow.

Look past your prejudices to see all sides of an issue.
Good grief, what did people do before when there were only cloth diapers and there was no such thing as disposable diapers?

What, they don't have running water to wash diapers by hand? They can't get a drying rack to put them on? What kind of "chore" is it when you don't work and have a full day of doing nothing? At least going to the laundry mat gives them something to do.

These are sad days when people have babies and it gets down to them crying about how they can't afford to diaper their children.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You don't know that her disability didn't occur after the birth of her child.
Oh, please. How come there is no mention of what kind of disability she has? Maybe she threw her back out giving birth?

She probably filed for disability because she didn't qualify for welfare since she had no children. Now having a child brings in extra income.

Where's her baby's daddy? Shouldn't he be helping out with the diapers?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
You know, while it's possible this particular guy is a real dirt bag, the reality is relationships are a work in progress. You sure she doesn't share ANY blame for the failed relationship? I've noticed a trend in divorces, it's ALWAYS the other persons fault, ALWAYS.
You are assuming there was a "relationship" to begin with.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
and for the squeamish or those raising a fuss about how difficult it is to 'scrub'.....
Amazon.com: GroVia BioLiners Diaper Liners: Baby

Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Uhhh, no they are not that common.....

Let me Bing that for you!
Uhhh...you evidently didn't read the links you binged.

"Bleach is probably one of the most common household chemicals in the world. It is used each and everyday to clean clothes and a variety of other items. However, bleach is also one of the most common allergens that can be found in homes all over the world."

Bleach Allergies

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Where's her baby's daddy? Shouldn't he be helping out with the diapers?
maybe she was raped.

should she have had an abortion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies