Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Income tax liabilities doesnt make property liabilities disappear..
Well at the end of the day I profited, so I have considered them good investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
For one thing it's mainly regional, not general. And second the numbers of homes is much smaller in each market. In 2008 it involved every community in the US, and almost all middle class/income folks. Today there's a lot of cash deals going on. In CA my daughter had a hard time buying a house with a conventional loan, because they'd be overbid right away with cash buyers. It's happening in Phoenix and Tucson too from what I'm told.

It may be regional, but it is LOTS of regions nonetheless.

I have been watching quite a few regions for the last 5 year. The price gains in many areas I have been watching are pretty shocking.....prices doubling in some areas.

I have been in Spokane, Wa for almost 2 years. I know for a FACT that the same type homes that WERE selling for 30k - 40K when I first moved here...are now selling in the 75k -90k range.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
All the evuuuulll banks fault!!!!

I guess that is the easiest way to think about the explosion of the last financial bubble. That way we have a boogeyman that is easy to hate and many do not have to reflect on the STOOOOPID mistakes THEY made.
Not so simple. It's the combined fault of individuals, lenders and the regulators. But the lenders got their bail not so much the individuals.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It may be regional, but it is LOTS of regions nonetheless.

I have been watching quite a few regions for the last 5 year. The price gains in many areas I have been watching are pretty shocking.....prices doubling in some areas.

I have been in Spokane, Wa for almost 2 years. I know for a FACT that the same type homes that WERE selling for 30k - 40K when I first moved here...are now selling in the 75k -90k range.
That's an unsustainable bubble that will burst, and when it does a lot of people will get burned.

Fear not, the government will bail out the banks, again.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
If the single family neighborhood homeowners own the land their on which their homes are built - and they usually do - how do you get more homes in the neighborhoods? There is no more land on which to build...

Go to San Jose and see for yourself how they do it.

The finite supply of land has not stopped them from getting more homes in the neighborhoods.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I did the same a few years ago, in fact I own 4 homes.. None of them are investments, every one of them are liabilities. I might have equity in them, which makes the equity an investment, but the house itself hold expenses every year.

Income tax liabilities doesnt make property liabilities disappear..

Sounds like you are part of the "affordable housing" problem.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's an investment. You are being told that any asset which has expenses related it cannot be an investment, but a liability, which would mean that things like 401K are not investments because there are expenses associated to it. It's just word games, and personal opinions, that's all. Buying real estate is an investment. Period. For many people it is the only way of saving money, because they may not be putting any money in the bank, or 401K, but they accumulate equity on their home. If some people choose to call real estate something other than an investment, then that's fine, but it is what it is. The topic here is whether or not the rise in real estate price is good or bad.
On average, a $100K home, has a $1K a month mortgage payment, and a 30 year loan..

That means people will pay $360,000 for a $100K house, (yes taxes and insurance included)..

If you think you're going to regain $360K from that home when you sell it then its an investment, and that doesnt count maintenance costs either.

Good luck with that.

Last edited by pghquest; 08-04-2013 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Well at the end of the day I profited, so I have considered them good investments.
Bernie Maddoff had lots of investors that profited from investing in his funds as well..

Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
On average, a $100K home, has a $1K a month mortgage payment, and a 30 year loan..

That means people will pay $360,000 for a $100K house, (yes taxes and insurance included)..

If you think you're going to regain $360K from that home when you sell it then its an investment..

Good luck with that.

Try renting a $100K house for 30 years, of course you're not going to regain one dollar of what you have paid. Now tell me renting was a better deal than buying.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:

If you think you're going to regain $360K from that home when you sell it then its an investment, and that doesnt count maintenance costs either.

Good luck with that.
How many houses have you kept 30 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies