Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Well -- they have their feminist nirvana, their easy abortions, their college degrees, prescription happy-pills. What's wrong?

Dramatic Rise In Suicide Rate Among Middle-Aged Women « CBS Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- they have their feminist nirvana, their easy abortions, their college degrees, prescription happy-pills. What's wrong?

Wait, so by putting down depressed and suicidal folk you're intention is what exactly?

I find it quite ironic to read such a topic by a poster who is historically very harsh on female posters.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wait, so by putting down depressed and suicidal folk you're intention is what exactly?

I find it quite ironic to read such a topic by a poster who is historically very harsh on female posters.
Well --- why are women killing themselves at alarming rates today? I doubt women offed themselves in high numbers during the Great Depression when times were really tough. Back when they had to wash clothes by hand and cook meals. What's the point in winning everything if you're completely miserable?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Well --- why are women killing themselves at alarming rates today? I doubt women offed themselves in high numbers during the Great Depression when times were really tough. Back when they had to wash clothes by hand and cook meals. What's the point in winning everything if you're completely miserable?
So you didn't read the article you posted?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:

We were told we could have it all. But you can't and when it didn't/doesn't happen you feel like a failure. In the past being a good parent, good spouse, and living a respectful life was considered success enough, no matter what your worldly possessions. Now we don't care about those things, the ideal that being a respectful, moral person as a goal now laughed at and we are told anything that makes you feel good is fine. We have replaced that with unrealistic material and status expectations, and judge ourselves on a set of ever changing material values. In our journey to achieve worldly goals we have thrown out inner growth and no longer build life-long relationships to sustain us when things go wrong.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So you didn't read the article you posted?
Yes but all they came up with were things like menopause and empty nest which are nothing new and don't explain anything at all --- women 50 years ago had that and didn't kill themselves. They did mention all the drugs women are using now, but the drugs are anti-depressants to fix their depression.

Why all the misery today?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:

I think it is critical for supporters of anti-women perspectives to continually double-down on such offense, because there really isn't much else underlying what they're advocating.

As it is, the suicide rate among men is typically four or five times that of women, and that's consistent across all races and all age ranges. [Source: CDC - National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.]

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:

What an absolutely disgusting attitude you have. I'm not surprised really. I hope some woman you love doesn't decide to kill herself, your reaction would no doubt horrify everyone around you.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
Quote:
Yes but all they came up with were things like menopause and empty nest which are nothing new and don't explain anything at all --- women 50 years ago had that and didn't kill themselves. They did mention all the drugs women are using now, but the drugs are anti-depressants to fix their depression.

Why all the misery today?
Women didn't kill themselves 50 years ago? Wow, you are out of touch.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
What an absolutely disgusting attitude you have. I'm not surprised really. I hope some woman you loves doesn't decide to kill herself, your reaction would no doubt horrify everyone around you.
Well -- then what do you think is the problem? The feminists won, abortions are very easy and plentiful, more women today go to college than do men, more women are in the workplace than ever before, women are often earning more money than men --- so why the high suicide rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies