Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,448,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Gee, Harrier is well known for his support of legalizing drugs.

He wonders of saying so will cause the OP to label him a liberal - lol!
I always knew outside of CD your a flaming liberal

I personally am ok with legalization of drugs if only to keep the money out of the hands of drug dealers, gangbangers, the mafia, and any other who feed off the misfortunes of those in pain. Because that is what it really is all about self medication, not all people who become addicts are about self medication but there are certainly many. I think this country still hangs onto the puritan way of dealing with criminals which is more about shaming and punishment. Instead we should look more into why people choose to get into drugs, is it because of a broken and abusive family ? Is it out of curiosity and that eventually turns into an addiction? There are lots of reason and instead of shoving these people into prison with hardened criminals instead we should research and study what's going wrong.

Until we as a country stop punishing people, and until law enforcement stops partnering up with private companies to jail people for nothing. Until our congress stops passing these bs laws through that they themselves more than likely break nothing will get done. Could you imagine if say bush or obama weren't rich or in bush's case wasn't the son of a millionaire what would have happened to him if he got caught with coke ? I'm pretty certain anyone over 40 who is in congress and who especially lived in the 70's, 80's, and even early 90's did drugs at one time or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,523,330 times
It's up to the parent to decide what is and is not good for their children. If they decide it's perfectly fine for their children to be losers, so be it, shorter lines at the grocery store.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,262,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The 'it is what it is' and 'legalize it' attitudes of the typical lib are wrong and hurt the youth's potentials. Yet they are all about education and jobs then wonder why there are no jobs like it is supposed to be the govt's responsibility to 'create jobs'. How about not condoning drug use and making it seem like it supposed to be cool? Some of them actually smoke pot with their kids and let them openly smoke in their homes. How can this be good for them? What kind of example are they setting? Where are the priorities?

Giving your kids a good start in life includes keeping their minds clear to learn, not letting them openly party it up and 'get laid'. That is clearly not good parenting.
If you think so. This lib believes children should not be exposed to drugs or alcohol.

example:
years ago, I knew this fellow who smoked marijuana and drank beer in the presence of his children aged 5 and 7, after seeing this, I said to my spouse that I thought he was wrong in doing what he was in the presence of his children, my spouse agreed that there is a time and place for everything, especially drug and alcohol use.

So, I don't like the fact that you're lumping all liberals in the same bunch, but, it's your life, and we're passing through it, unfortunately.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:31 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,743,075 times
Quote:
The 'it is what it is' and 'legalize it' attitudes of the typical lib are wrong and hurt the youth's potentials. Yet they are all about education and jobs then wonder why there are no jobs like it is supposed to be the govt's responsibility to 'create jobs'. How about not condoning drug use and making it seem like it supposed to be cool? Some of them actually smoke pot with their kids and let them openly smoke in their homes. How can this be good for them? What kind of example are they setting? Where are the priorities?

Giving your kids a good start in life includes keeping their minds clear to learn, not letting them openly party it up and 'get laid'. That is clearly not good parenting.
Parents should not be "encouraging their kids to do drugs. However if their kid is a good student and stays out of trouble a little pot and beer on the weekend should not be ostracized.

Plenty of countrys are much more lax on drug use and yet perform much better than the USA in education.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,477,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I at least get your point about drugs, but just how, I am avidly curious to know, does getting laid interfere with learning or getting a job?
Sex is a built in drive in human beings. While there are exceptions of course, most people will seek it. Social acceptance is a built in drive in human beings. While there are exceptions of course, most people will seek it. If you make sex only socially acceptable within a family unit, therefore, people will seek to be part of a family unit in an effort to satisfy both of these natural instincts. Now then, originating from a stable family has been demonstrated as the single highest predictor in terms of avoiding poverty, drug abuse, juvenile delinquency, etc. So there is a direct link between discouraging getting laid in the sense of casual sex by young people and in those young people living a life of gainful employment and good education.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 AM

818 posts, read 1,021,348 times
I believe there is a distinct connection between liberal parenting, abortion, dropout rates etc. Setting a good example for your children is of the utmost importance.

I also think some 'drugs" should be decriminalized. But with decriminalization comes even bigger responsibility of the parents, many who are not responsible enough to be good parents as it is. Will decriminalization help deter their children from becoming stoners, having abortions, dropping out etc etc? Even Amsterdam had second thoughts on their drug policies and increased penalties.

This is a complicated issue with many facets including divorce.

It basically comes down to being responsible for your children and giving them a good foundation to be productive and happy citizens, not stoners, dropouts and young unwed mothers with no means to support the kids. Obviously this is by no means a strictly liberal problem, but the attitudes of the common liberal make it seem like everything is A-OK with pot smoking and 'legalizing it".

I am neither liberal nor conservative. I just call em as i see em. People wonder why the U.S. is lagging in test scores and job creation, the truth is apparent to me and it should not be the responsible parents, adults and citizens that have to take up the slack for apathetic, careless, lazy parents, students and citizens.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,486,909 times
The Legalizing all drugs argument is just another ill thought out idea from the Left as usual. The unintended consequences would be tremendous. Something that ALWAYS happens with Liberal/Progressive ideas. Decriminalization is one thing, all out legalization is another.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,486,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated Juctice View Post
If anyone is hurting the future of young children its conservatives and their "war on drugs". It's a shame that someone is sent to prison just for smoking a harmless little plant.
Nobody goes to prison for simple posession of MJ. You have to have enough for it to be considered intent to distribute. I have no idea why many people stick to that silly notion that if you get caught with an ounce of weed you'll go to prison for a long sentence. It is NOT true. If you keep getting caught you might get SOME jail time, but not prison. Do you all know that jail is different than prison? I don't think most of you do.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,854,078 times
It's disgraceful - Having watched the liberal minded grandmother smoke pot with her daughter - and then watching that daughter smoke pot with her kids. If you are a pot smoker - or a drinker - or a tobacco user. You do not encourage your own children to perpetuate a bad habit...The use of mind altering substances should be discouraged and not condoned...what good does the life long use of dope and booze do to improve the quality of life in the next generations? NONE.

If you are predisposed to drug use and you are a parent- That is something that is private and should not be shared with your kids.

Liberals have this idea that "it's all good".....somethings are better not to be part of human life...If I personally could go back 50 years - I would never have smoked that first cigarette - never would have sampled pot...and would have avoided alcohol. It did NOTHING to make my life better- It made life less than what it should have been - That is a reality.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM

68,369 posts, read 54,596,563 times
Quote:
I believe there is a distinct connection between liberal parenting, abortion, dropout rates etc. Setting a good example for your children is of the utmost importance.

You can believe whatever you want, nobody cares.

When you have some facts would be the time to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies