Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 AM

37,806 posts, read 41,094,709 times

Advertisements

There shouldn't be a post-constitutional America. The President swears to uphold the constitution. When they don't they should be arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,985,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There shouldn't be a post-constitutional America. The President swears to uphold the constitution. When they don't they should be arrested.
Yep, exactly

Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,975,092 times
Personally I find it strange that Patriotic Cons support Traitors that broke their oath/word. Yes the world is truely up side down when the so-called Patriots believe Traitors are actually Patriots. Some of us define Patriotism diffently.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,741,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Personally I find it strange that Patriotic Cons support Traitors that broke their oath/word. Yes the world is truely up side down when the so-called Patriots believe Traitors are actually Patriots. Some of us define Patriotism diffently.
The only thing that seems to matter is what party is in office to most people.

I am willing to bet you would have called Snowden a hero under the Bush regime.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,975,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The only thing that seems to matter is what party is in office to most people.

I am willing to bet you would have called Snowden a hero under the Bush regime.
And you would lose that bet, I voted for Bush in his re-election bid. I could not care less about either Party and have never belonged to either and have voted for candidates from both Parties along with Independents. The problem with our government these days is the Two major Parties playing their political games while Rome burns, and what is even more sad is so many Americans play the game right along with their Party. Here is an idea try being an American before being a Democrat or Republican, what is good for the Nation trumps the goals of either Party.

Last edited by Casper in Dallas; 08-09-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Some thoughts:
-I wonder how you live 'off the grid' nowadays?
-Outsourcing to the private sector is ALWAYS a bad idea
-How will future plutocrat rulers of America Inc. use these tools against us?
ALWAYS in LOUD CAPS. -YES IT IS ALWAYS BAD TO LET BUSINESS HANDLE A SITUATION!!!!
ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And you would lose that bet, I voted for Bush in his re-election bid. I could not care less about either Party and have never belonged to either and have voted for candidates from both Parties along with Independents. The problem with our government these days is the Two major Parties playing their political games while Rome burns, and what is even more sad is so many Americans play the game right along with their Party. He is an idea try being an American before being a Democrat or Republican, what is good for the Nation trumps the goals of either Party.
I completely agree and like you I voted for W in 2004.

I vowed after that to never vote for a Democrat or Republican again.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,943,549 times
I think that saying we are ushering in a post-Constitutional America is both presumptuous and fear-mongering. The Constitution is still the bedrock for our legal framework, and as a result of Snowden's revelations there are at least 4 lawsuits challenging the government's meta-data collections. I don't think Manning's prosecution is a good example of unfair government prosecution, because Manning was military personnel, and he was tried by the military according to military rules. The expectations for military personnel are different than the expectations for civilians, and the trial reflected that. I do think that Manning acted on principle, and I think he knew what the likely consequences would be. To me that is also an act of protest, and I respect Manning for what he's done.

I was listening last night to a Congressman from Tennessee discussing his proposals to rein in the Patriot Act, and I think that many people, from several political persuasions, are on board with that. So if there is momentum growing in the legislature to contain the government's overreaching, and there is momentum developing in the judiciary as well, then that is the Constitution in action. We aren't in a post-Constitutional phase at all. We are out of balance, and the system of checks and balances has to come into play to regain our balance. I think 9/11 has a resonance that will impact that system for decades to come, and that as this plays out we the people will have a long conversation about what we think the balance should be.

One thing, though, is that the Patriot Act has allowed the government to operate in secret, and that's something we really need to address. A government will have, must have, secrets. But when it spies on its own people, the how and why has to be transparent. The government is going to resist that transparency. It doesn't matter what party the administration is, the government is a gargantuan bureaucracy, and the ability to operate in secret is for a bureaucracy a superpower. No bureaucracy will give up a superpower willingly.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
High taxes and high regulations do not necessarily cause outsourcing. If that was the case, northern Europe would have at least 25% unemployment right now, which they do not have. If your country has something to offer to industry, then high taxes and high regulations are not going to kill business activity. Please try more CATO/Heritage Foundation talking points
So you are saying high tax, high regulations don't harm growth and job creation?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,740,421 times
I'm pretty sure, Washington, Adams, and Jefferson, didn't even think to have a secret service to protect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies