Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would like to see more time and effort spent on stopping abuse and less on marketing food stamps to those who seem to be finding ways to live without them. I don't get the mentality of "if you qualify we need to give them to you". Not everyone who is poor needs food stamps. I suspect the back end is making money and the more food stamps given out the more money gets made.
Agreed...It's weird as hell.

There's a difference between having the programs made available and easy to navigate vs. marketing them like they're the latest video game.

Also, and I don't know about you guys, but it seems like a lot of forms for college, taxes, loans, etc. inquire about your status in terms of receiving food stamps. It's almost like "Hey, I wonder if I was receiving food stamps would checking this box help me in this matter?"

...in terms of the financial aid, taxes, loans, etc.

Weird and kinda creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I wonder about some of you! You and I pay taxes but somehow you feel the need to regulate what "Poor people "eat!
Let's see! I pay taxes to support the Military too! Should I be involved with what they eat? I thought freedom of choice was a American ideal but somehow just because somebody is on "food stamps" they now need to be 'socially engineered" on to what diet they should have and what foods they can eat?
Our soldiers earn their pay and benefits, including what they eat at the mess.

Long-term deadbeat freeloaders, on the other hand, do not earn what they're given. If perpetual parasites want to live on the public dole in perpetuity, they can eat what they're regulated to eat.

To compare our soldiers to freeloaders is uncouth and fallacious.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
"regulating" what anyone eats is ridiculous and I don't care where they get the money. If they HAVE the money it's theirs, period. By the time you start picking out what kind of cereal someone can/can't get you've already lost the battle and gone off the deep end yourself. The only think you can debate is whether anyone gets it or not.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"regulating" what anyone eats is ridiculous and I don't care where they get the money. If they HAVE the money it's theirs, period. By the time you start picking out what kind of cereal someone can/can't get you've already lost the battle and gone off the deep end yourself. The only think you can debate is whether anyone gets it or not.
Individuals on the public dole should not be using their food entitlements for liquor, soda, prepared foods, fast food, candy --- any foodstuffs with low nutritional benefit and/or sold at a premium must be disallowed.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I don't have to explain jack to you bubba.
I figured you didn't have any ideas that would work out well for anyone but yourself. Thanks for confirming that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
What ever happened to that promise in 2008 that Obama would bring jobs to most people and put more people to work.
GOP senators vote to defeat Obama's jobs bill

Senate Republicans defeat Obama's jobs bill | theGrio

Meet the 40 Senate Republicans Who Betrayed Veterans By Killing $1 Billion in Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Posts like yours make me question you age.
Engaging in personal attacks like that isn't a mature way to express yourself. Also, refusing to acknowledge that reasonable people oppose right-wing egoistic greed is just self-ratifying nonsense. Not everyone is in favor of the callous disregard for those less fortunate you support.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Manpower isn't hiring? Walmart has stopped overnight stocking? The military has shuttered enrollment?
There is no excuse for not being able to afford life sustaining food in this day and age.
what leads you to believe that that Wal-Mart wages can support a person?

maybe they're being forced to choose between food, healthcare, keeping a beat-up car running (since we have inadequate mass transit) and keeping a roof over their heads.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I wonder about some of you! You and I pay taxes but somehow you feel the need to regulate what "Poor people "eat!
Uh, yes. Because of the little detail you're leaving out. They are buying what they eat with my money.

If they buy their own food, they can buy what they want. If they are going to take my money, I get a say in how they spend it. See how that works?

Quote:
Let's see! I pay taxes to support the Military too! Should I be involved with what they eat?
Yes, you should. As an American citizen you should be concerned that the government is providing good food to the soldiers who defend us.

Quote:
I thought freedom of choice was a American ideal but somehow just because somebody is on "food stamps" they now need to be 'socially engineered" on to what diet they should have and what foods they can eat?
"Just" because somebody is on food stamps? Like that's some irrelevant little detail? Just because someone is spending my money why should I have any say in how they spend it? Do you realize how absurd you sound?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Someone's right to engage our society's economy for personal gain comes with a price tag. Self-motivated people need to stop trying to make it sound like the "rent" they pay to stake out a reasonably decent place in the economy that society makes available to them remains their money after they pay that "rent". It is no more so theirs at that point than the money someone pays to their landlord or mortgage holder remains theirs after being paid to the landlord or mortgage holder. We each have one vote with regard to decisions affecting society, including how the "rent" society collects for exploitation of the economy society furnishes gets used, in the public interest.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Self-motivated people need to stop trying to make it sound like the "rent" they pay to stake out a reasonably decent place in the economy that society makes available to them remains their money after they pay that "rent".
Jealous much? Spoken like a proverbial freeloading, lazy deadbeat. Indeed, as absurd as Obama's "You didn't build that" debacle.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies