Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,552 times

Advertisements

Hopefully they will be one of many.

NY firearms maker blames new law for move to Pa. - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Good.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
Pa is a gun friendly state. Just plain friendly, actually. We even tolerate New Jersey being next door to us although we keep running water between us to keep us clean.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
That is the intent of the laws in NY. Not only to go after the citizen who own them, but to also hit those making them harder.
The thing about the USA, is you can move to a friendlier State and arm those still in that state they left.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM

57,231 posts, read 26,182,129 times
He is short on details as to exactly why he is moving to PA so I have a feeling this has more to do with taxes than anything else but this gives the company cover for the move.

No mention of closing the Worcester, MA office that also has strict laws and NY's Safe Act did not restrict the companies production. Less than 100 employees is pretty much the equivalent of losing a supermarket, but 10 corporate execs in a company that size.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He is short on details as to exactly why he is moving to PA so I have a feeling this has more to do with taxes than anything else but this gives the company cover for the move.

No mention of closing the Worcester, MA office that also has strict laws and NY's Safe Act did not restrict the companies production. Less than 100 employees is pretty much the equivalent of losing a supermarket, but 10 corporate execs in a company that size.
Kahr is just one of several firearms companies moving out of states that are politically hostile to firearms based on recent laws. Kahr had been planning to expand in NY, but viewed those plans as riskier now in NY. I think gunmakers find it problematic that some states now have laws that allow firearms to be manufactured in the state, but hard for citizens to buy and own.

Taxes, incentives surely are a big factor too.

Although I don't know what the payroll is - I do not think losing manufacturing jobs is the same as losing supermarket baggers, checkout workers, and stockers.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM

57,231 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Kahr is just one of several firearms companies moving out of states that are politically hostile to firearms based on recent laws. Kahr had been planning to expand in NY, but viewed those plans as riskier now in NY. I think gunmakers find it problematic that some states now have laws that allow firearms to be manufactured in the state, but hard for citizens to buy and own.

Taxes, incentives surely are a big factor too.

Although I don't know what the payroll is - I do not think losing manufacturing jobs is the same as losing supermarket baggers, checkout workers, and stockers.

He still did not indicate exactly why he was moving other than a general statement. If they are exporting guns wto other states why would the Safe Act make a difference, he can move anywhere he wants and the NYS gun laws will remain the same.

The prior company that moved from CT to SC was primarily minimum wage or slightly above.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM

46,266 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Good....laws have consequences...good and bad...

Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM

27,121 posts, read 15,305,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

I believe he said it here;

"Maybe we could have stayed here and built a plant, but the way the bill was passed left us feeling there were a lot of uncertainties going forward."

Business doesn't like shaky ground to invest upon.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Yawn, a mom and pop moves "corp". Per its website, toital employment -all 3 states-plus corp-is 250. Assuming they are of average relationship corp staff-plants, corp is likely a few dozen employees max.

We had a local Italian independent restaurant close with a bigger payroll than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies