Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times

Advertisements

Speaking from experience, we go to fewer restaurants now because it's nearly impossible to control our kid in that kind of environment. She doesn't want to stay put, and we don't want her running around, so we just don't go. On the flip side, we eat healthier and spend less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Good for them!

Places are called Family Restaurants for a reason. If you want to bring your obnoxious, screaming kids to a restaurant that are under 8 years old bring them to Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Perkins, or Chili's.

There is no way that patrons at high end, trendy, and expensive restaurants should put up with families with screaming kids and deal with everything that comes with them.

If I had a restaurant I'd have a no children under 8 after 6pm policy and I also would NOT offer a kids menu. If kids are too picky with what they eat, they can stay home or go to McDonalds.

No, please don't. If you're a poor parent and have an ill-behaving child, park them at McDonalds in the kids area. Let responsible people on a modest budget eat in peace. It shouldn't require a $100 a meal resturant to get away from other people's poor parenting.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I look at it this way. I have made a promise (unlike some other fathers) that I will always have my son's back! That does not mean he gets a free pass to act a fool in public, and get away with bad behavior. I truly think that it is crucial that if you have children that there should be 2 parents, because not doing so is doing a great disservice to that child, and their upbringing! And the way I see it the biggest role models should be the parents, and not some athlete, or entertainment living in fantasy land! I didn't mean to deviate, and I agree with you that parents need to be parents to their children, and not friends.
There are plenty of single parents who are capable of raising a behaved child(ren). I've also seen plenty of kids from two parent homes that are horrible little creatures.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
There are plenty of single parents who are capable of raising a behaved child(ren). I've also seen plenty of kids from two parent homes that are horrible little creatures.

Yes of course there are exceptions, and by no means are parents perfect. However; I feel that children without 2 full time parents are at a disadvantage. I came from a divorce. My parents split when I was very young. However; my mom married my step dad about 2 years after the divorce, and they have been together since. My dad had privileges to see me every other weekend, but once I got older, and he got married yet a 3rd time I got brushed aside, and so did my sibblings (even more so) from his 2nd wife.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We had a horrible experience at Disneyworld eating at Jiko's which is very expensive. We had taken my elderly mother for a Thanksgiving feast along with our grown children. At the table next to us there was a brat who had to be about 8 who screamed, pounded the table, went over and actually took food from someone else's table and when the moron of a mother asked him what he wanted to eat he continued screaming he hated everything offered. When they brought him his food he threw it at his moron of a father. Finally the grandpa stood up grabbed the kid and hauled him outside while the others just sat and continued to eat. I would have just gotten takeout if it were mine. Some kids are just too much to handle in public and why should I have a meal ruined because the parents have a difficult child?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
No, please don't. If you're a poor parent and have an ill-behaving child, park them at McDonalds in the kids area. Let responsible people on a modest budget eat in peace. It shouldn't require a $100 a meal resturant to get away from other people's poor parenting.
My last visit to Olive Garden was close to $100, and it was a nightmare of kids screeching, running and parents chasing the kids back and taking flash photos of the family. One mom had a jingly toy she kept shaking at the baby, over and over. Then she's loudly trying to get attention from other diners to admire her perfect child. So, never again, done with OG. This all happened between 8-10 pm. OG tries to get customers to order wine, it's kind of dark, it's a place that would have been appropriate for adults and older kids in more reasonable days but now it's basically overpriced Italian McDonalds with wine.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We had a horrible experience at Disneyworld eating at Jiko's which is very expensive. We had taken my elderly mother for a Thanksgiving feast along with our grown children. At the table next to us there was a brat who had to be about 8 who screamed, pounded the table, went over and actually took food from someone else's table and when the moron of a mother asked him what he wanted to eat he continued screaming he hated everything offered. When they brought him his food he threw it at his moron of a father. Finally the grandpa stood up grabbed the kid and hauled him outside while the others just sat and continued to eat. I would have just gotten takeout if it were mine. Some kids are just too much to handle in public and why should I have a meal ruined because the parents have a difficult child?

A good smack on the a** would have been the order of the day if that were me. If it were my kid doing that I would administer that on him as well. The old saying is "this will hurt me more than it will hurt you" and it's true, but sometimes you just have to break one off to get their attention.

Not to mention an apology to the people who's dinner was ruined!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
but now it's basically overpriced Italian McDonalds with wine.
It's always been that, at least in terms of food quality.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Good for them!

Places are called Family Restaurants for a reason. If you want to bring your obnoxious, screaming kids to a restaurant that are under 8 years old bring them to Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Perkins, or Chili's.

There is no way that patrons at high end, trendy, and expensive restaurants should put up with families with screaming kids and deal with everything that comes with them.

If I had a restaurant I'd have a no children under 8 after 6pm policy and I also would NOT offer a kids menu. If kids are too picky with what they eat, they can stay home or go to McDonalds.

Exactly! No one bats an eye at places that call themselves "family restaurants", but the minute a place calls itself a "non-family restaurant" people throw a fit.

I work in fine dining and you won't imagine the things people with kids say. They flip out that there isn't a kid's menu, get angry that there are no high chairs, scream that there isn't a changing station in the rest rooms etc and NEVER DO THEY NOTICE that there are plenty of family-friendly restaurants a few blocks away.

I saw one big fat moo with her three brats angry that she couldn't take her kids with her to A WINE TASTING in NEW YORK CITY

Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
In Disneyworld you should never be surprised that an over-stimulated, out-of-control child is there - never. I don't care what dinner place you chose. Get over it on that one. Now, if you were in Jiko's Expensive Dining, in the middle of some city, with fancy linens and wine glasses, you would have every right to expect a quiet dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies