Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

Now these same children are expected to sit quietly with 25 other children and listen to a teacher ?
Behavior management takes up the majority of class time now.

SOME kids behave, MOST don't these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I don't know. It's like the parents that get super offended when the wedding invite says "no children please" or something to that effect. They assume that everyone else in the world is in love with kids. Not me man. If I ever get married, I'd put that same thing on my invite. Sorry but the world does not revolve around you & your kids. Why can't they simply just get someone to look after their kids while they go to the wedding? Why must they be in a huff? I'll never understand.

I agree with some of that, however; you'll p*** off a lot of family by doing so, and therefore it may put a limit on how many people attend the reception. It's your choice, and if I'm invited to a wedding where the request is for no kids, if I want to go bad enough and if I can find someone to watch our son, then fine. If not, then I wouldn't go. Simple.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Why do parents get so offended whenever an establishment doesn't allow children, or even if they don't bend over backwards to accommodate kids? I have seen people rage on other forums because how DARE that restaurant not have a kids' menu! WHY can't my four-year-old sit at the bar?

Does it really threaten you that much for the rest of us to have a place of refuge? Are you that jealous that there might possibly be someplace others can go, but you can't? And really you could go, but you'd have to get a babysitter and leave the kids at home. Sounds like a super awesome date night if you ask me. Why, then, do they get so outraged whenever anyone tries to make a place less than child-friendly?

Honestly, I'd rather eat with people smoking than misbehaving children.
Because of people like yourself who express blatant hatred towards children. Some parents have had people tell them they should have had an abortion even if their kids aren't misbehaving. Making a blanket ban like this isn't about misbehaving kids. It's banning ALL KIDS, even those who behave themselves and are open to trying something more than nuggets, burgers, and French fries. My daughter turns 22 this month. But I will not go to any restaurant that bans all children instead of evicting family with bad children.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now these same children are expected to sit quietly with 25 other children and listen to a teacher ?
Behavior management takes up the majority of class time now.

SOME kids behave, MOST don't these days.
in the schools they just drug the children into submission.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM

451 posts, read 769,534 times
Quote:
I don't know. It's like the parents that get super offended when the wedding invite says "no children please" or something to that effect. They assume that everyone else in the world is in love with kids. Not me man. If I ever get married, I'd put that same thing on my invite. Sorry but the world does not revolve around you & your kids. Why can't they simply just get someone to look after their kids while they go to the wedding? Why must they be in a huff? I'll never understand.
We did put that on our wedding website, and actually filled in the names of the people who were invited on the RSVP cards, so all they had to do was check whether they would or would not be attending for each name. My husband's cousin wrote in the name of her two-year-old. He called her and told her that that wasn't going to fly. She said that if that was the case, she and her husband wouldn't be able to attend our wedding, like it was some kind of ultimatum. Hubs said we'd miss them.

1,637 posts, read 1,880,760 times
But..but... you have to let a child run around like an animal otherwise you might hurt his self-esteem. Then after he is done running around if you don't validate his feelings, he might cry. God forbid. Then if he touches the floor you must immediately throw globs of hand sanitizer on him or else he might get sick. You people are just so heartless and cruel. Disciplining a child is just setting boundaries and hurting his artistic development.

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not to long ago we were eating lunch at a nearby Applebee's. A mother, father and grandmother, along with toddler, came in and were seated in the booth behind us. The child was noisy which was annoying but inquisitive children that age can be so we decided to grin-and-bear-it until it became ridiculous at which time we asked the parents to tone her down. Their response was, "We're trying." That made me think of Yoda who said, "No! Try not. Do or do not. There is no try!"

Then the child started literally dancing on the table and my wife who was facing them got really upset and told them the child's antics were disruptive and ruining her meal. Again there was the "we'll try" response.

Next up the child jumped so high on the table she hit her head on a hanging lamp and damn near keeled off the table. That was the last straw for mus. We called the manager over, explained what was going on and told, not asked, him to do something. Rather than telling them that the child's behavior was both unacceptable and creating a possible liability risk and harm to the child so they had to reel her in, he soft-talked the adults telling them that there had been a complaint and could they please keep her off the table.

The end result was that they left the restaurant in a huff muttering deprecations against us. Meanwhile, several other tables of people in the section clapped for and came over and thanked us. The manager never reappeared nor, as he should have, comped our ruined meal. We haven't been back!

If this is the way a lot of parents are nowadays, time for a prison building boom. The country will need it.

For the record, we have seven children between us, 12 grandchildren and a great grandson. We're rather used to children and none of ours would ever have been permitted to run wild like that.
I have witnessed an occasional brave soul who has had enough who stands up and shouts " quiet or shut-up" to the standing ovation by most of the patrons. I suspect mom and dad go home and give the place a scathing review on Yelp/other review sites. Restaurants are acutely aware of the influence of reviews from anonymous posters.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM

39,864 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:

Some parents are no better than spoiled children themselves. We're into a second or third generation of "no-disipline parenting", where parents have tried to be their children's friends and buddies, rather than parents. It shows. Some have outgrown that kind of upbringing, some have not. I can't get over how many teenagers have their cars, phones, cloths and everything else bought for them by their parents. Heck, most of the cars in the student section of the HS parking lot are newer than what I drive. How many of these kids have never had a job, or even tried looking for one? That think that working picking fruit, bucking bales or shoveling horse crap, let alone flipping burgers, is beneth them. I understand wanting kids to have it better than we had, but there has to be a line somewhere.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-09-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I don't know if it's their right. Generally you are not allowed to discriminate against anyone in a public business engagement, unless there's a legitimate business reason for doing so. Children are not allowed into strip clubs for obvious reasons, but there is no obvious reason that they shouldn't be allowed in restaurants.

Now, it could be that these restaurants are simply making it an unofficial policy of not allowing children. But I imagine that if push came to shove, they would probably have to back off.

"We don't think it's appropriate to have young children in a place where alcohol is served" would be an unassailable defense, even if it was disingenuous.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Children are not allowed into strip clubs for obvious reasons...
What reasons are those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies