Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,190,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was taught that there are lessons our souls must learn and sometimes the only way to learn them is through pain. That explanation works for me but probably won't for you. Just thought you'd like to know why we believers don't see it as a disconnect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
What lesson did this poor young lady learn from almost being killed?
Faith? Or perhaps it wasn't about her, maybe it was because someone else needed something that was best accomplished by her accident. Maybe one of the witnesses needed to learn faith? I don't have that answer. I only know that I believe there is a God - one who cares about me, one who sometimes answers prayers. I also know that sometimes that answer is no. I also believe there are things we are not meant to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'll tell you what I see as a disconnect--the idea so many people seem to have that some invisible supernatural deity (or one of its minions/Earth operatives) is responsible for any good, positive thing that happens, but never responsible for anything unfortunate or negative.
I don't believe that. I do believe that some things are not always as negative as we first think. Sometimes much good rises out of the ashes of bad events. I also don't think the deity always intervenes in our lives, but I do think he does sometimes.

I don't expect you to agree with me. Without doubt, your life experiences have been different than mine. I believe what I believe because there have been a few times that I know my prayers were answered and there was no other explanation. I also know of one time that I was distinctly told no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
It's so sad that a nice story like this gets such boorish comments. Sometimes it's better to just find another thread if your heart is so pickled that you can't feel good about an uplifting story.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,230,743 times
I heard some noises in my pantry last night, got up, and saw a bunch of green footprints! Obviously a leprechaun! But where's MY ABC article?? Hmm?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's so sad that a nice story like this gets such boorish comments. Sometimes it's better to just find another thread if your heart is so pickled that you can't feel good about an uplifting story.
Atheists are so full of hate, they compare to the Taliban.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Atheists are so full of hate, they compare to the Taliban.
Well that's a bit of a stretch. The Taliban tend to murder women and children. Atheists post on online message boards. Bit of a difference there, eh?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Well that's a bit of a stretch. The Taliban tend to murder women and children. Atheists post on online message boards. Bit of a difference there, eh?
When they are in power they kill tens of millions.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,039,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
I heard some noises in my pantry last night, got up, and saw a bunch of green footprints! Obviously a leprechaun! But where's MY ABC article?? Hmm?
CLEAN your pantry it will only get dirtier and more disgusting.ABC will report it but not clean it.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
One thing's certain. If an Angel ever did appear, or God, or Jesus, the ones hitting the floor flat on their faces in in fear would be the very ones who claim to doubt their existence. The rest, the believers, would greet them with love and respect and joy.
You question the existence God, Angels, ghosts and aliens but believe in global warming and the ability of the government to solve complex social and economic problems..... You have faith and belief in some things you can't see or prove but not in others. Fascinating.
Lol! If someone else's god ever did appear, you would be hitting the floor flat on your face in fear with the rest of us. You're assuming it's a Judeo-Christian god. What if it's a multi-limbed Hindu Elephant God? You're just as much of an atheist as I am. Humans have invented about 4,000 gods. I don't believe in any of them. You don't believe in 3,999 of them.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
In the name of atheism, AMIRITE??

I could just as easily say that when whites get into power they kill millions. But I won't, because that would be incredibly stupid and irresponsible.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
That must be why things are so awful in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies