Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

I have no immediate intentions or plans to leave the US.
But if anything were to go amiss and our form of government changed for the worse..then all bets are off and I would leave.
That's the only thing that would make me seriously consider leaving the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
The article says those 1300 people are expats, which means they have already departed the US, probably years ago. Might as well give up the citizenship if they have no interest in living here.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Americans Giving Up Passports Jump Sixfold as Tougher Rules Loom - Yahoo! Finance

and

Make sure you have an exit strategy as our family does.

(In before rampant nationalism i.e. "good, let them leave")
Why? Do you really think that should it get that bad in the US anyplace on the planet will be better? If we go down the rest of the world will fall just as hard or harder....

Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have no immediate intentions or plans to leave the US.
But if anything were to go amiss and our form of government changed for the worse..then all bets are off and I would leave.
That's the only thing that would make me seriously consider leaving the US.
Good luck living in Ireland. Their unemployment rate is only 15%, and GDP growth is negative. They are the second "I" in the PIIGS countries: Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain. The Celtic Tiger is dead.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
We have been trying for awhile to find the proper documentation to get dual citizenship to Italy. There is one final piece of documentation we need to uncover then...BAM! 3 generations and all our offspring are going to go for it .

I don't really expect to renounce my US citizenship but one we get this the future generations can as well, and you never know what the future holds.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Good luck living in Ireland. Their unemployment rate is only 15%, and GDP growth is negative. They are the second "I" in the PIIGS countries: Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain. The Celtic Tiger is dead.
Unemployment isn't calculated the same as in the US so it's not even apples to apples comparison.

The US is #10 in the 2013 Index of Economic Freedom and Ireland is #11
Really not that far apart.

United States Economy: Population, GDP, Unemployment, Inflation, Spending

2 countries compared..not that much difference.
http://www.heritage.org/index/visual...nd&src=country

Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Unemployment isn't calculated the same as in the US so it's not even apples to apples comparison.
I didn't compare it to anything, I simply stated the fact that their unemployment is 15%, and that their economy is in far worse shape than us, and it is getting worse in Ireland. Their debt to GDP ratio is 120% for crying out loud. Everything you complain about US is worse there, and you want to move there???

Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't compare it to anything, I simply stated the fact that their unemployment is 15%, and that their economy is in far worse shape than us, and it is getting worse in Ireland. Their debt to GDP ratio is 120% for crying out loud. Everything you complain about US is worse there, and you want to move there???
Actually no. Go back and read my post about the one reason I would leave.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
The article says those 1300 people are expats, which means they have already departed the US, probably years ago. Might as well give up the citizenship if they have no interest in living here.
It's not a matter of "interest in living here" ...... it's about the TAX they have to pay each year.

It's an interesting concept - dual citizenship. I know many people who have it - the USA "rule" is that if you exit the USA then you must do so on a USA Passport. OK .... then they can track you. I've wondered - suppose you hold a dual UK/USA citizenship, you exit the USA on your US passport to the UK - then you use the UK passport (which allows work/banking/residency) to travel/live in another European Country. How does the USA find you and why should they bother to search for you unless you are some Mega Millionaire trying to avoid US Taxes? Almost anyone could (conceivably) disappear into any EU village or town with their UK passport.

And then there is Mexico ..... I know a couple that decided to sell up and move to Mexico about 8 years ago. They quit their jobs, sold their house, loaded up and drove across the border ..... headed for the West Coast of Mexico. They have come back for a visit only twice since they did that. Mexico doesn't care - you can't ever become a citizen, but they don't care about that either. You can work (they are both self employed in Tech work) and "pay" the officials for whatever you need. Most ex-pats in Mexico just rent a property, open a bank account or buy a REALLY big safe and live happy in a cheaper locale. Not a lot of IT guys and Web page designers in Mazatlan - they cornered the market some years ago and went native.

They love it. No "dual citizenship" needed - you just drive across the border and have a destination in mind. You would not believe how many USA Ex-pats live in Mexico - they just "drop out" and go stealth. Mexico doesn't care as long as you pay under the table and keep your nose clean.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Actually no. Go back and read my post about the one reason I would leave.
You have not given any specific reason, you only said 'if the government turns worse', and judging by your comments on this board you think it turns worse every day. What would the government have to do to get you to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies