Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,359,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Reefer Madness is a classic who is loved by all who have seen it.

Seriously, I've met pot heads who love the movie. How can you not like it???
I LOVR Reefer Madness! I'm just saying that just because you saw something in an old movie, doesn't make it true. Movies tend to exaggerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 AM

26,632 posts, read 15,191,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
So you are upset that Michael Moore has made some outstanding documentaries that often expose the right wing machine, and you wish to hide it?
By definition it is not a documentary.

I am just pointing out that its blatant lies and distortions break down debate.

I am for more gun control laws, but I am not sheep enough to say since I agree with him on this one issue, I will pretend like he has a legitimate argument. I guess you are. Bahhh!

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,391,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
In all fairness Moore made a documentary about the carnage guns inflict on us as a society so why be critical of him when he is pointing out a obvious truth.
If we can regulate things like having a license to drive and operate a car why not firearms? How exactly did these 2 teens amass such a arsenal of guns to murder so many others in Columbine?
Hate to say this but we all know somebody who really has no business owning a gun to begin with.
Why? Because it's not a documentary, it's his political spin on gun control and Moore lies as easily as breathing.

A few honest anti gun people (difficult to find) will admit it's a mocumentary, not a documentary.
5 Reasons Why Bowling For Columbine Is Not A Real Documentary

Or for a long point by point breakdown of the massive amount of lies in his "documentary":
Truth about Bowling for Columbine

Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,806,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
A national registry of persons disqualified from firearms ownership is not the same as a registry of gun owners.
Correct. It's merely the beginning of one.

The people who wrote and ratified the 2nd amendment knew it was a very unwise thing to let the government have ANY power to decide who could have guns and who couldn't. Even felons.

It's wisdom which is lost on more and more of the present generation. Even with the grim examples of the IRS abusing its information, records and power to attack the administration's political enemies, flying right in our faces.

It's the people who fail to make this connection, or worse, who say it would never happen, who are setting the stage of the coming civil war against those who know it does, and has, and can, happen.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,688,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Bowling For Columbine hurts the discussion this nation is having about guns.

#1 It is full of outright lies and blatant distortions, which breaks the discord down with gun advocates. Even on the small stuff...like the movie tries to claim there is a KKK and NRA connection from their inception date...which is absurd, since Grant, yes the Grant that outlawed the KKK and was hated by the KKK was also the first NRA president, which was founded by Northern Veterans.

#2 It not only downplays the biggest cause of gun problems in America, it calls people a fool for pointing it out. The biggest gun problem is murders. Bowling for Columbine argues that the biggest gun problem in Michigan is in the suburbs, which it connects to white teens. He interviews an official of Gennessee county that says the biggest gun problems are in the suburbs. The biggest gun problem is not in the suburbs...it is in the cities. The cities of Detroit and Flint have just under 10% of the state's population but roughly 70% of the state's murders. Yes there are gun problems all over, but can anyone deny that in Michigan the problem is that Detroit averages over a murder a day and most go unsolved? How can we find a solution or even have an honest debate if the focus of Moore is on the suburbs being the main problem, when the 2 worst inner cities account for 10% of the population and 70% of the murders?

I am sick of my state having so many murders and sick of most of the murders in Detroit going unsolved.

P.S. I am for back ground checks and doing something to stem the senseless murders. I just think this movie hurts that cause more than it helps.
I would tend to agree that MM's movie was way over the top and full of distortions.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 AM

367 posts, read 962,432 times
Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine a Disservice to Gun Debate

The real problem is Moore himself. That bloated tub of guts is a disservice to the gene pool.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,688,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine a Disservice to Gun Debate

The real problem is Moore himself. That bloated tub of guts is a disservice to the gene pool.
But then again, he does have an uncanny way of exposing the unbridled hate that some people hold inside. Spooky, how he does that.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,758,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Your equation breaks down at the first hurdle. A national registry of persons disqualified from firearms ownership is not the same as a registry of gun owners.

If they buy one on the black market, they would be in violation of the law, just like many unqualified gun owners (e.g. felons) are right now.
So you prove that Universal background cheeks will not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies