Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

People can be so deeply enmeshed in their religion (or politics) that they really lose track of reality, start making rash decisions, and work against their own self interest.

Religious family abandons U.S., gets lost at sea

This brings to mind poor Andrea Yates, how her religion instructed her to obey her husband rather than her doctor, resulting in a travesty.

That's one thing that couples are good for - if one goes off the deep end the other can act as an anchor to reality, no? If a couple are too much alike or if they decide one gets the final word in decision making, tragedy can occur.

These people are lucky they're alive. Their stupidity could have killed their kids. I would say some agency should keep close watch on the kids to prevent any hairbrained schemes from taking over again, but I guess they are allowed to jeopardize the lives of their children in the name of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
People can be so deeply enmeshed in their religion (or politics) that they really lose track of reality, start making rash decisions, and work against their own self interest.

This brings to mind poor Andrea Yates, how her religion instructed her to obey her husband rather than her doctor, resulting in a travesty.

That's one thing that couples are good for - if one goes off the deep end the other can act as an anchor to reality, no? If a couple are too much alike or if they decide one gets the final word in decision making, tragedy can occur.

These people are lucky they're alive. Their stupidity could have killed their kids. I would say some agency should keep close watch on the kids to prevent any hairbrained schemes from taking over again, but I guess they are allowed to jeopardize the lives of their children in the name of religion.
And HE walks free....

Back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:

I wonder what city-data RWNJ poster he/she is.

Ken

Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
God sent a violent storm and made them return to the godless US.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
In search of their "Mosquito Coast"

Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
They could have picked somewhere better than Kiribati. God hates Kiribati and is making it sink beneath the sea. Kiribati doesn't want immigrants -they can't figure out what to do with the population they have on this disappearing island chain. If they want freedom why move to a country where non-government newspapers are banned. Makes as much sense as anti-government-spying Snowdon seeking asylum in China, Russia, or Venezuela.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
They could have picked somewhere better than Kiribati. God hates Kiribati and is making it sink beneath the sea. Kiribati doesn't want immigrants -they can't figure out what to do with the population they have on this disappearing island chain. If they want freedom why move to a country where non-government newspapers are banned. Makes as much sense as anti-government-spying Snowdon seeking asylum in China, Russia, or Venezuela.
Well, they are clearly not too bright.

Ken

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Did anyone read the article? A lot of people apparently made posts without reading... Where they were located was a HUGE distance from where they were found... They still had food... There vessel was damage but still seaworthy... The only major problem was poor seamanship (they really should be stopping at ports along the way and have better navigation) and the unexpected storm (again poor seamanship)... I may disagree on how they should of traveled, for instance charter your way there rather than sailing your way there... for whatever reason they did it, I find it a little odd considering they aren't church-going people and I wonder if they sold their possessions and home (if they really intended to leave the US)... shoddy journalism at best if the writer can't even verify some of this information...

Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Did anyone read the article? A lot of people apparently made posts without reading... Where they were located was a HUGE distance from where they were found... They still had food... There vessel was damage but still seaworthy... The only major problem was poor seamanship (they really should be stopping at ports along the way and have better navigation) and the unexpected storm (again poor seamanship)... I may disagree on how they should of traveled, for instance charter your way there rather than sailing your way there... for whatever reason they did it, I find it a little odd considering they aren't church-going people and I wonder if they sold their possessions and home (if they really intended to leave the US)... shoddy journalism at best if the writer can't even verify some of this information...
I don't understand the highlighted comment.

The vessel was supposed to have been becoming less seaworthy as time went on.

There are some areas in which storms should be expected.

The point, or at least one of them, is that they prayed on it and thought this was what God wanted them to do. They expected God's protection.

Now they are back in the states awaiting more messages from God.

Maybe God wanted to take them out of the gene pool??????

Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

I don't disagree with any of that. Glad those kids didn't die due to their parents poor choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies