Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,787,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wha?
You want an investigation into this?
Really?

**shakes head**
Investigation? I don't need no stinkin' investigation! I already got it figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Who wants to see movie about a maid? (The Help)
Who wants to see a movie about a chauffeur? (Driving Miss Daisy)
And the all time classic, Maid in Manhattan, staring J-LO

Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post

So a friend shares me this picture from here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Conse...12883682080346

What would you make of this?
Wasn't Vietnam like almost 50 years ago?!!! Let it go.
I wish that they'd boycott the god awful crappy remakes that Hollywood regularly puts out

Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wasn't Vietnam like almost 50 years ago?!!! Let it go.
I wish that they'd boycott the god awful crappy remakes that Hollywood regularly puts out
This plot has already been done in a 1970s TV series called Backstairs at the White House with Leslie uggams. It's typical that Hollywood won't give us an original story.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,488,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
This plot has already been done in a 1970s TV series called Backstairs at the White House with Leslie uggams. It's typical that Hollywood won't give us an original story.
That one went from Taft to Eisenhower. This one starts with Eisenhower and is based on the life of butler Eugene Allen. Eugene Allen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,402,773 times
I don't pay for entertainment so not going to see it.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Investigation? I don't need no stinkin' investigation! I already got it figured out.
Then why this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It's a thinly-disguised ad campaign, designed to make a very tired premise seem edgy. This is little different from all the fake hate crimes: people writing ethnic slurs on their own doors, or burning down their own homes or churches.

When the people behind this are discovered, they'll say they were in 'parody' or something. Anyway, a lot of people will fall for it, just as they have fallen for all the other "controversy" generated in order to get attention for other movies.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,791,794 times
I'm curious as to how many posters who are critiquing this movie actually saw it (and that wouldn't include a 2.33 minute trailer). "Oh, I don't like the actors." "Oh, obviously it's political". "Oh, I can't see it the actors are all liberals." How about the story itself??

Eugene Allen had the privilege of serving 8 presidents. Butlers and house staff, generally uneducated, eventually become "invisible" and the absence of a formal education didn't mean that they didn't understand what they would hear or see. But being "invisible" people doing the talking forget that there is someone else in the room and will tend to do things and discuss things that would only be spoken about in private. One can only imagine what he saw and heard during his service.

How does one come to an informed review/opinion on a movie or a book that they haven't seen, hasn't even been released and received a few reviews?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I didn't even know Jane Fonda was in it.

It's stupid to boycott entertainment because of the politics of the entertainer.

Clint Eastwood has made some great movies and pro war Jimmi Hendrix was a fantastic guitar player,

who cares.
Re: Jimi Hendrix: served in the army for a little over a year (choosing such over jail time). He may have been briefly 'for' the war in Vietnam (probably assuming his country knew what it was doing), but he changed his views as he grew older. He was never, as I recall, very vocal about the war, possibly due to his regard for those in uniform.

Contrast Jimi with John Wayne: avoided service in WWII ('Got a bum knee, doc"), but was very gung-ho on war in Vietnam (see his movie, The Green Berets). Yet, while some may consider Marion a coward, I still enjoyed his movies.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,573,580 times
I don't see or not see a movie because of what anyone thinks or who stars in it. Pure silliness.

That said, I see very few movies at the theatre and this probably won't be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies