Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

This is what we need to think about whether we can afford to continue:

Quote:
Last year (2009), Medicare paid $55 billion just for doctor and hospital bills during the last two months of patients' lives. That's more than the budget for the Department of Homeland Security, or the Department of Education. And it has been estimated that 20 to 30 percent of these medical expenses may have had no meaningful impact. Most of the bills are paid for by the federal government with few or no questions asked.
Quote:
Every medical study ever conducted has concluded that 100 percent of all Americans will eventually die.
The Cost of Dying: End-of-Life Care - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If a person who has a terminal disease, wants "everything" done for him/her to prolong life by maybe a year at an exorbitant cost, is that sustainable?
We can change the goal post, as there are many ways to go with this, if that is their wish, then it will be up the person who is the guardain/spouse and how much money they are willing to spend.

I would honestly hope that people have talks like this?

Do you have a living will?

Damn right I do, I do NOT want to be kept alive by a machine...

Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
We can change the goal post, as there are many ways to go with this, if that is their wish, then it will be up the person who is the guardain/spouse and how much money they are willing to spend.

I would honestly hope that people have talks like this?

Do you have a living will?

Damn right I do, I do NOT want to be kept alive by a machine...
As we all should.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
As we all should.
That's not your choice, though...is it...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
To the OP.
Good thread and thanks for the links. Mostly we are on opposite ends on the issues but we have some common ground here. I have seen it over and over in my life where a person is dying and they rack up vast amount of money and live two months. I am for the so called death panels and agree that consultation should be payed for. We can not go on like this and the country needs to have a adult conversation about death since that is all of our fates.

I would support during the consultations that they inform patient and family a estimate of the cost and how they are passing it on to their children and grand children. That should be a big money saver for big mouth conservatives to walk the walk and choose their fate instead of costing the tax payers for a short time more.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
A control freaks favorite word, "we"

Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A control freaks favorite word, "we"
I know my writing stinks but it was good enough that I made a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies