Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
No, I think that the whole Muslim/Islamic culture is so overwhelmingly primitive that it is impossible to even know where to start. They punish women for getting raped. They kill children for being gay. Why are we even on a planet with people so primitive? How is western society supposed to deal with a hateful RELIGION that controls a GOVERNMENT? How to deal with people who would kill a woman who names a teddy bear after a prophet? I mean really, how are westerners, regardless of political bent, even supposed to get a grasp on this?
Fundamentalist Islam have a privative bent, I certainly won't argue with that. Then again, any fundamentalist bent on a religion is a bit primitive. I don't exactly see Christians stoning to death misbehaving children, even though the bible states that one should do so. I don't believe I see many Jews killing gentiles for theft, although the Talmud claims it is ok to do so. So why is Islam still so staunchly fundamentalist when other cultures have a more secular flair, I couldn't tell you. However reformation is taking place in the Islamic world, but I don't believe we have the patience to wait for its arrival.

I would like to point out that they did not punish the woman for getting raped, they punished her for agreeing to meet with a man other than her husband or family which is apparently against Sharia law. They did not kill that woman who named her teddy bear after Mohammad, she was given 40 days in jail.

You asked, How is western society supposed to deal with a hateful RELIGION that controls a GOVERNMENT?

I would like to know why western society is obligated to "deal" with it at all. Further more, I would like to point out that a few other western nations, some even more "free" than the United States, such as Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Switzerland, Austria, to name a few that do not as you say, "deal" with radicalized Islam and they are doing just fine. So if so many other western and free nations can deal with Islam, radical or otherwise, why is it that the United States always seems to have such a problem?

I am not making a claim one way or the other but it does beg one to ask themselves, is it Islam that has a problem with the United States or is it the United States that has the problem with Islam. In any case, the next question should be, why. Qui Bono

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 12-03-2007 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Fundamentalist Islam have a privative bent, I certainly won't argue with that. Then again, any fundamentalist bent on a religion is a bit primitive. I don't exactly see Christians stoning to death misbehaving children, even though the bible states that one should do so. I don't believe I see many Jews killing gentiles for theft, although the Talmud claims it is ok to do so. So why is Islam still so staunchly fundamentalist when other cultures have a more secular flair, I couldn't tell you. However reformation is taking place in the Islamic world, but I don't believe we have the patience to wait for its arrival.

I would like to point out that they did not punish the woman for getting raped, they punished her for agreeing to meet with a man other than her husband or family which is apparently against Sharia law. They did not kill that woman who named her teddy bear after Mohammad, she was given 40 days in jail.
First of all, the Christians have just as bad of a history, what with the Inquisition and witch burnings. I have no tolerance for religion in government, period.

The Sudanese were rallying in the streets calling for the British teacher's death, that was what I was referring to. It is this behavior that makes it very difficult for westerners to understand them, or empathize with them.
You asked, How is western society supposed to deal with a hateful RELIGION that controls a GOVERNMENT?

Quote:
I would like to know why western society is obligated to "deal" with it. Further more, I would like to point out the a few other western nations, some even more "free" than the United States, such as Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Switzerland, Austria, to name a few that do not as you say, "deal" with radicalized Islam and they are doing just fine. So if so many other western and free nations can deal with Islam, radical or otherwise, why is it that the United States always seems to have such a problem?
I am in total agreement philosophically with you, the US has been so aggressive that they have basically thrown fuel on the fire with the middle east, have been doing so for years, which is why Al Quaida hates the US so much. They never chant "Death to Holland! Death to Canada!" How very strange...

We have no reason to be dealing with the middle east at all. We could ignore them, sit back, let them evolve. My response was based on the question of hypocrisy with regards to certain human rights groups, why NOW and gay rights groups were not more active in the Middle East.

Quote:
I am not making a claim one way or the other but it does beg one to ask themselves, is it Islam that has a problem with the United States or is it the United States that has the problem with Islam. In any case, the next question should be, why. Qui Bono
Why? Because the oil is in the middle east, my friend.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Back to the topic.
This is about life in Iran. If your gay dont go to Iran its that simple. This isn't an Islamic issue. Its an Iranian issue.
And for those who say they hate us because we are overly agressive? Thats true in part but the bigger part is Israel. Our biased hand of justice and our blind eye for Israels misdeeds is what ferments the most hatred.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Back to the topic.
This is about life in Iran. If your gay dont go to Iran its that simple. This isn't an Islamic issue. Its an Iranian issue.
And for those who say they hate us because we are overly agressive? Thats true in part but the bigger part is Israel. Our biased hand of justice and our blind eye for Israels misdeeds is what ferments the most hatred.
Iran has a bit over 65 million folks, and subtracting out the kids it appears they have about 50 million adults (18 and over).

If the homosexual rate is about 2%, that would mean that about 1 million Iranians are gay. They already live there, so are you proposing they should leave? Where should they go, and be accepted?

Do you feel the Iranian Minister would feel differently about their gay folks if we stopped supporting Israel?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Well I think some would tell you the gays should just stop choosing to follow their sin filled and deviant lifetyle choices, then they can live their lives happily in their native country.

It is funny how some are so concerned about the "Gays in Iran" issue all of a sudden. Maybe we should bomb Iran, send our troops in from Iraq and liberate the gays??

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
It seems a good enough excuse, whatever it takes....and liberate all the other millions as well. I think Iran is ready for some liberation, unlike Iraq.

Last edited by lilypad; 12-03-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Iran has a bit over 65 million folks, and subtracting out the kids it appears they have about 50 million adults (18 and over).

If the homosexual rate is about 2%, that would mean that about 1 million Iranians are gay. They already live there, so are you proposing they should leave? Where should they go, and be accepted?

Do you feel the Iranian Minister would feel differently about their gay folks if we stopped supporting Israel?
No what I am saying is that it is none of our business.... It becomes your business or mine if we decide to go there. And then its only a concern if you or I happen to be gay. If we go there it is at that point when we enter Iran that we have a decision to make. Can I tolerate their customs? Can I tolerate their laws? If not catch the first flight home. Its none of our business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies