Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Because the media does not want us to exist, it makes boring T.V That is the reason why many people found the Cosby Show so unbeliveable.
People like the Cosby's don't sell. Blood and violence sells. The same could be said about hip-hop as well. It goes back to a very sad adage: If it bleeds, it leads. What is scary about regular Black people being ignored is this: People like us might get lumped in with the criminals and other lowlifes who happen to look like us simply because those are the most common images of Black people.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People like the Cosby's don't sell. Blood and violence sells. The same could be said about hip-hop as well. It goes back to a very sad adage: If it bleeds, it leads. What is scary about regular Black people being ignored is this: People like us might get lumped in with the criminals and other lowlifes who happen to look like us simply because those are the most common images of Black people.
What's even sadder, real life Cosby's are ridiculed by some blacks as sell outs and wanting to be white. You even see some whites shocked when they see successful black people moving into their predominately white neighborhoods. So again, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
The sad thing is, there are many who basically ignore law-abiding Blacks. People like you and me will get ignored, almost like we don't exist.
We get ignored because we aren't drawing NEGATIVE attention to ourselves. I see this happening in our schools too, black kids seem not to be able to fly under the radar because there's this assumption that they are going to automatically be a behavior problem.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
What's even sadder, real life Cosby's are ridiculed by some blacks as sell outs and wanting to be white. You even see some whites shocked when they see successful black people moving into their predominately white neighborhoods. So again, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.
I can definitely relate to that. I've been accused of "wanting to be White" when I was in my teens and even in college. And not only by some Black kids. A few White kids made jokes. It's a sad situation. Some people either don't understand or don't care. Sometimes it isn't a matter of being dumbfounded on why some Blacks move into White neighborhoods. Sometimes it's a matter of "we don't want Blacks in our neighborhood" among some persons.

I totally understand the "you act White" kind of crap. I've gotten it. I remember some kids asking me "do the Carlton"(reference to Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and the dance that he does to that Tom Jones song). My little sister faced alot of crap because of the way she talked. She was made fun of alot, mainly by Black girls in middle school for "acting White". She wasn't snobby, stuck up, or any other that. She just didn't act or talk like some people expect Black girls to talk. More examples of "darned if you do, darned if you don't".

Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thanks, I will tell that to the rest of my law abiding family
you mean that make believe family that doesn't exist because they are all in jail?

Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Like when the hope of Zimmerman being white was all the prayed for. Stop being victims of your own doing, blame lays with the individual. Some blacks have allowed Sharpton and Jackson to define them, be your own even Bill Cosby has spoken out about this.
^^^^ too stupid to realize Fox News used Jesse and Al so YOU could define black people.

The sheep love to use Jesse and Al in all of their talking points about blacks... and then they sprinkle in a little Cosby.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
We get ignored because we aren't drawing NEGATIVE attention to ourselves. I see this happening in our schools too, black kids seem not to be able to fly under the radar because there's this assumption that they are going to automatically be a behavior problem.
One thing I learned about middle school was this. There were quite a few White kids who got in trouble and did stupid stuff. However, Black kids sometimes were handled with less patience. In my case, I was in middle school and saw some of this happen. I was in 7th grade when this happened. A girl called me a "turd", and I called her the "B" word after she called me a name. She was always picking on me for some reason. No sooner did I call her a name, a few other kids heard it and told the teacher. I ended up getting 3 days of In-School Suspension. Got punished harsh anyway. When I was in I.S.S.,I was basically the only Black kid there. I noticed the kids who were in I.S.S. Many were chronic behavior problems. I was just there because I screwed up. I was never the chronic behavior problem that many of the kids were. I was just someone who slipped up and paid the price.

A few months later, I was in a caste and on crutches. Two boys(who happen to be White), kicked the crutches from under me and I fell to the ground. There were probably witnesses because there were kids in the classroom. I went to the principal(at the advice of my father). They could lie their way out of it because "no one saw them do it".

And something else about not attracting negative attention. By attracting negative attention, it attracts alot of attention. It's either "get no attention, or get negative attention". Or in some cases, one has to be "spectacular" or a major standout in order to get good attention. The bad side about attracting no attention is that those who attract negative attention, well those persons make it harder for those who don't cause problems.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
^^^^ too stupid to realize Fox News used Jesse and Al so YOU could define black people.
FOX is basically a quasi-fascist news network, so I don't trust anything that comes from it.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

The sheep love to use Jesse and Al in all of their talking points about blacks... and then they sprinkle in a little Cosby.
And another irony of it is this. I don't think Bill Cosby really appreciates being used to define Black people.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
One thing I learned about middle school was this. There were quite a few White kids who got in trouble and did stupid stuff. However, Black kids sometimes were handled with less patience. In my case, I was in middle school and saw some of this happen. I was in 7th grade when this happened. A girl called me a "turd", and I called her the "B" word after she called me a name. She was always picking on me for some reason. No sooner did I call her a name, a few other kids heard it and told the teacher. I ended up getting 3 days of In-School Suspension. Got punished harsh anyway. When I was in I.S.S.,I was basically the only Black kid there. I noticed the kids who were in I.S.S. Many were chronic behavior problems. I was just there because I screwed up. I was never the chronic behavior problem that many of the kids were. I was just someone who slipped up and paid the price.

A few months later, I was in a caste and on crutches. Two boys(who happen to be White), kicked the crutches from under me and I fell to the ground. There were probably witnesses because there were kids in the classroom. I went to the principal(at the advice of my father). They could lie their way out of it because "no one saw them do it".

And something else about not attracting negative attention. By attracting negative attention, it attracts alot of attention. It's either "get no attention, or get negative attention". Or in some cases, one has to be "spectacular" or a major standout in order to get good attention. The bad side about attracting no attention is that those who attract negative attention, well those persons make it harder for those who don't cause problems.
We can start a whole new thread just on this post alone. You made some very valid points about teachers not being patient with black students. My son who went to an elementary school in my predominately white neighborhood was being hit and getting picked on by a white student. It got to the point where he didn't want to come to school because these incidents happened during recess, and when my son would tell the teacher on duty what was going on, there were no witnesses, so, she didn't do anything.

When my wife noticed that my son didn't want to come to school, she told him that the next time the boy hits him and picks on him, he better knock the boy out. My son did, and guess what? The teacher on duty noticed when my son hit the white boy back, and she reported it to the principal.

After the principal called my wife to tell her that my son was being suspended for hitting the boy, my wife informed him how this student was hitting my son and that my son was crying and not wanting to come to school because the teacher on duty didn't do anything about it when he went to her like he was supposed to do. So my wife asked him why now when my son protects himself from this same student by defending himself and hitting the boy back, the teacher on duty notices that? The principal just said that he would handle the matter and wouldn't suspend my son.

Last edited by antredd; 09-24-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies