Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times

Advertisements

Here's an educational video.
Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police! - YouTube

Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The sad truth is, some people only bring up statistics about crime and race to justify their hatred of Blacks. I don't believe it has as much to do with having nothing better to do. It might be this way for many. However, for some people, it has alot to do with the need to justify their anger towards Blacks. This is one reason there any decent conversation regarding race can never really be had. Anger controls the conversation.
Anger, you hit it right on the head. I really hope and pray that we as a nation can move forward. After all, we did elect a black man for a two term highest office position, and whether or not you like it or not, we all have to get along if this country will ever move forward and truly become a nation that respects the beliefs, creeds, religions, sexual orientation, and race of all.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Anger, you hit it right on the head. I really hope and pray that we as a nation can move forward. After all, we did elect a black man for a two term highest office position, and whether or not you like it or not, we all have to get along if this country will ever move forward and truly become a nation that respects the beliefs, creeds, religions, sexual orientation, and race of all.
Sadly, I don't think alot of people will actually heed these words. I think what the election of President Obama has shown is that there are still some very bigoted people out there.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Sadly, I don't think alot of people will actually heed these words. I think what the election of President Obama has shown is that there are still some very bigoted people out there.
It has also shown that there are many willing to give a free pass in order to not appear that they are racist. Partisan politics has only made the issues worse in this country because no one from either side is really willing to compromise.
Back on topic. I really don't know the statistics for first time offenders v.s repeat offenders based on race. What I do know is if you do the crime then you should expect to do the time. I am all for standard sentences for crimes. I am also for holding politicians and public servants to a higher standard. No segregated prisons for cops or corrupt judges.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It has also shown that there are many willing to give a free pass in order to not appear that they are racist. Partisan politics has only made the issues worse in this country because no one from either side is really willing to compromise.
Back on topic. I really don't know the statistics for first time offenders v.s repeat offenders based on race. What I do know is if you do the crime then you should expect to do the time. I am all for standard sentences for crimes. I am also for holding politicians and public servants to a higher standard. No segregated prisons for cops or corrupt judges.
The election has also shown how much distrust there really is. The distrust has been there, it took something like this to bring it out.

I say, you do the crime, you do the time. Same standards for all.

I also believe in making sure that whatever a criminal does sticks to that criminal, not the entire race. That worries me more than anything. Lock up the criminals. I don't excuse their behavior. Whether or not they will do the time doesn't scare me. I know they will. What does scare me is when some people will take the actions of those criminals, and use it as a means of justifying their prejudice for an entire ethnicity.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Most Blacks do not have any kind of preconceptions when it comes to crime. Most Blacks are quite aware. This is not about statistics for us. This is about anger and trying to justify negative feelings towards Blacks. Whether or not the statistics are true isn't what Blacks are trying to argue. What I am arguing is that there is no trust when it comes to discussing such issues.

It isn't about "owning up" to the statistics. It is about how these statistics are discussed. Often, what I see is alot of anger and resentment towards Blacks when these stats are mentioned. And why would I want to discuss such issues with someone who already has a negative view of Blacks and tries to justify having such feelings?
Of course there is anger and resentment towards blacks. How could you not when year after year the statistics look bad for blacks and almost daily there are violent crimes committed by blacks and almost weekly there are violent interracial crimes committed by blacks against non-blacks? Do you really expect people to NOT feel anger and frustration that so many blacks continue to do this kind of crap and never change?

Its funny how its perfectly fine for blacks to complain and yell and protest about police and the justice system and how they feel its biased against them etc. yet its NOT OK for non-blacks complain or to feel any kind of anger towards blacks for all the crime and murder and violence they commit? Really? In what world is this considered fair?

The statistics, the new stories and the videos of black crime are all out there for everyone to see. If blacks don't like the negative feelings and anger that it generates among non-blacks, then maybe they should COMMIT LESS CRIME AND VIOLENCE AND MURDER so that fewer of these stories will show up and their crime statistics will go down and people will have less to be angry about. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Of course there is anger and resentment towards blacks. How could you not when year after year the statistics look bad for blacks and almost daily there are violent crimes committed by blacks and almost weekly there are violent interracial crimes committed by blacks against non-blacks? Do you really expect people to NOT feel anger and frustration that so many blacks continue to do this kind of crap and never change?

Its funny how its perfectly fine for blacks to complain and yell and protest about police and the justice system and how they feel its biased against them etc. yet its NOT OK for non-blacks complain or to feel any kind of anger towards blacks for all the crime and murder and violence they commit? Really? In what world is this considered fair?

The statistics, the new stories and the videos of black crime are all out there for everyone to see. If blacks don't like the negative feelings and anger that it generates among non-blacks, then maybe they should COMMIT LESS CRIME AND VIOLENCE AND MURDER so that fewer of these stories will show up and their crime statistics will go down and people will have less to be angry about. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
I don't care why people have a resentment towards Blacks, just as no one cares why there are Black criminals committing crimes. I care about how I am affected by it at the end of the day. That is what I care about. If I am not committing crimes, if I am doing my part to not cause problems, then yes I have every right to upset if I get stereotyped and discriminated against. What other people who look like me is not pertinent to what I do.

This "if Blacks want to stop being stereotyped, then they shouldn't commit crimes". I'm Black and I'm not committing crimes. My family is Black and we are not involved in any crimes. I know plenty of Black people who don't commit crimes. I don't care what the statistics say. I care about making sure I take care of my own business. I didn't commit those crimes. Let the criminals who do those crimes rot in prison. In fact, my father spent years trying to get a relative of his to shape up. Guess what. His relative didn't listen, and spent multiple stints in prisons. Criminals don't care if they are stereotyped or not. They don't care about anything. The Black people who do care whether or not they get stereotyped are the ones taking care of business. The ones who don't care, well, you know the story. So if you have the issue, take it up with Black criminals, not the rest of the Black population.

I shouldn't have to explain myself at all. I shouldn't even care what you think. If the only reason anyone discusses this issue is out of anger towards Blacks, then the only thing to come out of it is more anger from Black people. If I know said person hates Blacks, I don't want to discuss anything, because I feel like I'm cowtowing to that person.

And using the logic that you use, one could argue Blacks have a reason to resent non-Blacks for stereotyping and discriminating against them. It cuts both ways. I'm not saying that Black people should do that. I'm merely saying that if non-Blacks can take issue with Blacks, then Blacks could do the same towards non-Blacks.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
I don't care why people have a resentment towards Blacks, just as no one cares why there are Black criminals committing crimes. I care about how I am affected by it at the end of the day. That is what I care about. If I am not committing crimes, if I am doing my part to not cause problems, then yes I have every right to upset if I get stereotyped and discriminated against. What other people who look like me is not pertinent to what I do.

This "if Blacks want to stop being stereotyped, then they shouldn't commit crimes". I'm Black and I'm not committing crimes. My family is Black and we are not involved in any crimes. I know plenty of Black people who don't commit crimes. I don't care what the statistics say. I care about making sure I take care of my own business. I didn't commit those crimes. Let the criminals who do those crimes rot in prison. In fact, my father spent years trying to get a relative of his to shape up. Guess what. His relative didn't listen, and spent multiple stints in prisons. Criminals don't care if they are stereotyped or not. They don't care about anything. The Black people who do care whether or not they get stereotyped are the ones taking care of business. The ones who don't care, well, you know the story. So if you have the issue, take it up with Black criminals, not the rest of the Black population.

I shouldn't have to explain myself at all. I shouldn't even care what you think. If the only reason anyone discusses this issue is out of anger towards Blacks, then the only thing to come out of it is more anger from Black people. If I know said person hates Blacks, I don't want to discuss anything, because I feel like I'm cowtowing to that person.

And using the logic that you use, one could argue Blacks have a reason to resent non-Blacks for stereotyping and discriminating against them. It cuts both ways. I'm not saying that Black people should do that. I'm merely saying that if non-Blacks can take issue with Blacks, then Blacks could do the same towards non-Blacks.
The thing is YOU SHOULD care why people are resentful, angry and wary of blacks because it does affect you. If on the otherhand you're resentful of non-blacks treating blacks differently and stereotyping them in a negative way, don't blame us (the victims), blame your fellow blacks (the perpetrators).

You may have your sh$t and be a good person, but many blacks aren't so why are you blaming the victims of black crime when they start profiling and perceiving blacks negatively? Its not like we all want to do that, but what do you expect when you FORCE US into doing so? Everytime non-blacks want to give blacks the benefit of the doubt, yet more incidents come up involving blacks that keep the stereotypes alive. Yes we know that not all blacks are like that but how do you expect us to tell the good ones from the bad ones?

The bottom line is that just as you say if we have issues that we should take it up with black criminals, then if you have issues as to how you're treated by non-blacks, then you should take issue with it with your fellow blacks as they are the root cause of all the problems in the first place and not non-blacks. Don't blame us as we're simply reacting to the behavior of many blacks. If blacks change for the better, than so will we, if not then we won't either. Simple as that.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
The thing is YOU SHOULD care why people are resentful, angry and wary of blacks because it does affect you. If on the otherhand you're resentful of non-blacks treating blacks differently and stereotyping them in a negative way, don't blame us (the victims), blame your fellow blacks (the perpetrators).

You may have your sh$t and be a good person, but many blacks aren't so why are you blaming the victims of black crime when they start profiling and perceiving blacks negatively? Its not like we all want to do that, but what do you expect when you FORCE US into doing so? Everytime non-blacks want to give blacks the benefit of the doubt, yet more incidents come up involving blacks that keep the stereotypes alive. Yes we know that not all blacks are like that but how do you expect us to tell the good ones from the bad ones?

The bottom line is that just as you say if we have issues that we should take it up with black criminals, then if you have issues as to how you're treated by non-blacks, then you should take issue with it with your fellow blacks as they are the root cause of all the problems in the first place and not non-blacks. Don't blame us as we're simply reacting to the behavior of many blacks. If blacks change for the better, than so will we, if not then we won't either. Simple as that.
Well, I don't care why. The only thing that I care about is what it does to me in the end. What I care about is what gets done to me. Blaming Black criminals will not stop Black criminals from doing what they do. They don't care about anyone, not even their own lives. I have to look out for me and my life. There is far more concern if Blacks hurt non Blacks vs if Blacks get murdered by their own people. That alone tells me I shouldn't care why people have resentment towards Blacks. If I have my act together and I'm taking care of business, then I feel that I have every right to be angry if I get discriminated against or treated poorly. Why should I suffer for someone else's stupidity? Bill Cosby has repudiated underclass types.Guess what? They don't listen.

And furthermore, prejudice and discrimination towards Blacks is nothing new. This has been going on for over 100+ years. Blacks have been stereotyped in negative ways going back to the 1860s. If you do not care what my concerns are, why should I care what your concerns are?

And the only "non-Blacks" I see giving Blacks the benefit of the doubt are mainly liberals.

And if I have issues with the way YOU treat me, I am going to take it up with YOU. I don't care why you are doing it. I am going to hold you personally responsible for what you do.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America by Khalil Gibran Muhammad was published in 2010, and it has set out to expose the “glue that binds crime to race." In other words it looks at the logic by which many Americans, especially white Americans, are able to convince themselves that “whites commit crimes, but black males are criminals.” This is the last phrase that comes from Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Levering Lewis, who after reading this book, feels that it should be a mandatory read for all Americans.

When I stumbled upon this quote, I wasn't surprised that anyone would make a statement like this because it seems to be another way for people to bash black men, without looking at the reasons these black men are commiting crimes that obviously lable them as crimminals. I haven't read this book, but from this quote alone can one resonably agree or disagree with this quote and back it up with facts?

Race relations have never been good to begin with. And this goes back to the 1900s and long before. I feel it goes back to the "Black Brute" stereotype. No one will care if it is Blacks murdering other Blacks. It has been looked at as "well, we're better off without them". However, there is only concern if Blacks commit crimes against Whites. It isn't just about how Blacks are viewed. I would go as far as to say some people want Blacks to disappear. I honestly don't care why they would think like that. The only thing I care about it what it will do to me and people like my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies