Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What do you think the US white community should take a stand against?
Paying everybody's tab to start out with.
Que the lib scratching his head in 3,2,1...

Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Maybe if people stop using the same tired statistic about the reason that the black community is plagued with so much violence is because 72% of black mothers are having babies out of wedlock, then we can look at the real problem facing the black community--poor schools, lack of jobs, and drug epidemic thats growing by leaps and bounds.

What's so annoying is the ASSumption that the 72% of black mothers having babies out of wedlock are all by black fathers. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that not all of those baby daddies are black. Some gotta be of other races, and where is the accountability for those men as well. Also, with the white divorce rate being over 50%, then what does that say about the state of white families. They aren't staying married either. The white mothers having babies out of wedlock may not be as high as black mothers, but it surely doesn't look good for all of the white divorced mothers rearing their child alone as well.
I'm curious to know the % of divorced white vs black dads pay full child support and are involved in their children's lives.
You're smart, go find out and let us know.
Or guess for us.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
When you hang with thugs, you become more likely to become a thug yourself. It's like a downward spiral of negative reinforcement.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:30 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
A superficial culture of rank ignorance and mindless consumption, class prejudice and country and western music, not necessarily in that order.
Yeah, right, uh uh.

That statement makes about as much sense as the Oswald Bates skits on 'In Living Color'

In Living Color Oswald Bates I Won't Drift Away Season 2 Episode 5 - YouTube

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 08-17-2013 at 03:44 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America by Khalil Gibran Muhammad was published in 2010, and it has set out to expose the “glue that binds crime to race." In other words it looks at the logic by which many Americans, especially white Americans, are able to convince themselves that “whites commit crimes, but black males are criminals.” This is the last phrase that comes from Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Levering Lewis, who after reading this book, feels that it should be a mandatory read for all Americans.

When I stumbled upon this quote, I wasn't surprised that anyone would make a statement like this because it seems to be another way for people to bash black men, without looking at the reasons these black men are commiting crimes that obviously lable them as crimminals. I haven't read this book, but from this quote alone can one resonably agree or disagree with this quote and back it up with facts?
A criminal is a criminal, regardless of race.

I don't see all black men as criminals.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Yeah, right, uh uh.

That statement makes about as much sense as the Oswald Bates skits on 'In Living Color'

In Living Color Oswald Bates I Won't Drift Away Season 2 Episode 5 - YouTube
If your gonna use black humor to try and downplay the issue that race has to do with our justice system, then at least know the right context. I'm sure the Wayans Family wouldn't appreciate you using their content in your defense.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America by Khalil Gibran Muhammad was published in 2010, and it has set out to expose the “glue that binds crime to race." In other words it looks at the logic by which many Americans, especially white Americans, are able to convince themselves that “whites commit crimes, but black males are criminals.” This is the last phrase that comes from Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Levering Lewis, who after reading this book, feels that it should be a mandatory read for all Americans.

When I stumbled upon this quote, I wasn't surprised that anyone would make a statement like this because it seems to be another way for people to bash black men, without looking at the reasons these black men are commiting crimes that obviously lable them as crimminals. I haven't read this book, but from this quote alone can one resonably agree or disagree with this quote and back it up with facts?
Anyone who commits a crime is a criminal, no matter what race they are.

Thank you for playing.

Next?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:18 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
I would hope most blacks aren't, but sometimes, and I am speaking from my own experience as a black man, it's not easy to always be calm when you see people staring at you because of my color who don't even know me when I walk into a store or restaurant that is not frequent by minorities.

I personally have never had any one blatantly call me the N word or blatantly act racist towards me. But I have seen it more on the level on classism. How some are shocked that I can speak in complete sentences, and tell me how articulate I am. To me that's insulting, and very rude to tell me that I am articulate, when it's obvious from speaking to me in the first place. Heck, I better be articulate being a graduate from UCLA's English department and a school teacher too LOL.

How about this scenario, I have had a salesperson come to my door, and do a double take when I open my door in my predominately white neighborhood. Or even worse, a real estate agent asks my wife is she the maid and could she speak to the owner of the home when we were sellling our home, and the real estate agent was there to show the house to one of her clients.
Actually, I would like to address your scenarios..

Not everyone treats you that way, and believe it or not, not all white conservative republicans treat you like that, even though one would believe differently. I am white, in my mid 50's, and though I am fairly conservative, call myself a constitutionalist, more than a republican, though my voter card says republican, one of only 2 choices I had when I got it.

I grew up in a middle class neighborhood to boot. But I learned, early in life, people were people, and to judge someone by their actions, and not by their color, religion, sex, hair color, etc etc. My neighbors would all tell you the same thing about me, as would my co workers.

Do I think what you said doesn't happen? Certainly not. I know it happens, because there are biased, prejudiced, and racists all around, and they come in all colors, and all walks of life. I have met prejudiced people, and racist people in all places, and in all countries. It didn't matter how educated they were, or what demographic they represented. I found that Liberals as well as Conservatives, are equal in their prejudices, whether they were overtly demonstrated or not.

BTW, I am Jewish. I know what it feels like to be the different one. In the first grade, I was the only "non christian", in my class. When they started decorating the christmas tree, I asked about a Menorah, and all I got was a blank stare from the teacher, asking why? When I told her it was because our family doesn't celebrate christmas, I remember her laughing and telling me I must be mistaken, because everyone celebrates christmas. I remember my daughter coming home from school in the 90's with a similar complaint, that everyone was preparing christmas decorations, and why would they do that, and ignore everyone else, and then treat her badly because she didn't want to participate in something that had no meaning to her. And yes, it happened all through life, even while in the navy. I remember going to sea on a 2 week outing on a Submarine, where they were leaving some people in port, during what would be Passover for me, being the only Jewish person in the crew. I was told that I had to go, someone else was left in port, and then midway through the 2 week period, we pulled into port, so the crew could spend easter with their families.

Do I know what it's like to be you? Not really, I do know however what it's like to be different and treated differently though, and because of that, I learned at a very early age, to treat everyone else with respect, until they showed they didn't deserve it. The differences in appearance didn't mean we were different.

Will it get better? Probably not. As long as the differences keep being pointed out, as long as people are being told to treat everyone as equal, as long as there are laws forcing people to treat other people differently, instead of all laws being equal to everyone, then no, it won't change. When you shove someone towards a goal they don't want, they will fight and harden against it, when you keep trying to point out differences, you keep introducing that someone is different. I already know better, but those who don't, wont learn because you try to force it on them. They have to learn and understand it for themselves.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:21 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
And what criminal offenses are the ones that usually put black men behind bars? Drug offenses. What a colossal waste of lives and public resources. Not difficult to figure out what effect it has on blacks when so many black men are locked up for the better part of their most productive years for dope offenses.

Have you noticed that the right-wingers who are on here who are suddenly crowing about 4th and 5th Amendment rights have little to say about "stop and frisk" in NYC? See, they only care about such things when they think it will affect them. When it's those dirty Negroes or any of the myriad other groups they don't like, not only are some indifferent, many are fully behind trampling on their Constitutional freedoms.
Spot on, and sadly so.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:25 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
So he establishes his position on a false premise? I find these types of authors ironic as they establish their entire argument on that of a generalization in order to combat a generalization.

Quote:
It doesn't matter "why" they commit a crime as "why" does not establish someone as a criminal, rather the action of committing a crime does. Criminal means "involving a crime" or "guilty of crime".
It doesn't matter "why" they commit the crime, it only matters that they did. So there is no need to establish "why" when determining such as "why" will not change the fact of such a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies