Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly so. WORLDWIDE jurisdiction, as the U.S. IRS itself states (see my earlier post).

No different than the WORLDWIDE jurisdiction countries with automatic jus sanguinis citizenship laws, such as the U.K., have over their citizens' offspring born anywhere in the world.
Not completely true. If you have dual citizenship then the US does not have jurisdiction over you while you are in that country as a citizen of that country.

I have dual citizenship. If I go to Ireland and use my Irish passport to enter then I am an Irish citizen and subject to the laws of Ireland. The US has no jurisdiction over me while I am in Ireland as an Irish citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well I guess you could take that with a grain of salt.
The IRS can't just fly to Europe and show up at your door for an audit.
All the IRS can really do to folks living abroad permanently is heap on penalties and get foreign banks to report to them.
"Get" foreign banks to report them?

FATCA enables US authorities to impose regulatory costs, and potentially penalties, on foreign financial institutions.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Quote:

FATCA enables US authorities to impose regulatory costs, and potentially penalties, on foreign financial institutions.
How are they going to collect those costs and penalties? They can't just pop over to England and demand that the Bank of England write them a check.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
And domicile in legal terms is the PLACE To live. Residency is to establish that YOU are living there.
Define "permanent domicile" in legal terms. Cite the source of the legal definition.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by informedconsent View Post
define "permanent domicile" in legal terms. Cite the source of the legal definition.
you first.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:

Yes I know the laws have changed.
And that is one of the leading reasons more are giving up their US citizenship.
I read of one story of a lawyer in the UK and he's giving up his US citizenship because he's in line to become a partner and the entire law firm could be dragged into any US tangles. He felt that his US citizenship and our tougher tax laws would hinder him in his career growth. And he said he hadn't been back to the states in over 10 years.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
THERE is no requirement of permanent domicile. There is NO REQUIREMENT of residency.
The passage to which you've referred with that statement has already been proven to be historically inaccurate and therefore, NOT true. Proven to be false here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/31076944-post258.html

And here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/31077024-post259.html

Last edited by InformedConsent; 08-22-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
The passage to which you've referred with that statement has already been proven to historically inaccurate and therefore, NOT true. Proven to be false here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/31076944-post258.html

And here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/31077024-post259.html
Proven to be false because InformedConsent has spoken. All hail InformedConsent!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,276,725 times
Quote:
The passage to which you've referred with that statement has already been proven to historically inaccurate and therefore, NOT true. Proven to be false here:

That is YOUR post with YOUR interpretation. And as we have seen, YOUR interpretation is NOT what the courts have said over 2000 times in various court cases. Please provide a CREDIBLE source; links to court cases, legal articles, or experts.

YOU have demonstrated over and over again, that you have the legal understanding of a basset hound.

your second link, there IS NO SUPPORT of Attucus Blacks' claim. Please provide a source that supports that claim

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not completely true. If you have dual citizenship then the US does not have jurisdiction over you while you are in that country as a citizen of that country.
Incorrect.
Quote:
Many of these people are fully compliant with their own country's tax laws. Yet all are supposed to be filing U.S. returns and declaring the foreign accounts
Dual citizens fear wrath of IRS- MSN Money

The IRS does indeed have jurisdiction over dual citizens who reside abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies