Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM

11,173 posts, read 10,754,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Hanguns can't get off as many rounds, so I think that would decrease situations like with Newtown where 30 people were taken out. You can outrun a person with a handgun a lot faster than someone with an AK-47.

Military personnel need them for training purposes only. The average joe has no need for a high powered gun.

I also think we need to lower the overall supply of guns allowed into the U.S. period.
I own a handgun. I am nowhere near as good with it as many people that I know. However, by hotswapping magazines I can pop off 30 rounds in less than a minute and hit somewhere on the target with all 30. The idea that a firearm is more dangerous because it holds more rounds is ludicrous. You might as well say that a car goes faster because it has a larger gas tank.

Have you ever watched military personnel training? Do you really think that someone carrying an AK-47 runs faster than someone who is only burdened with a handgun? Or are you attempting to say that the rounds from a handgun somehow move so much slower than the rounds from an AK-47 that you might actually be able to outrun them?

You have no idea what someone might need in certain situations. Someone hunting elk in Colorado or Wyoming may need an extremely high powered firearm in order to take the long-distance shots that are sometimes called for. Someone hunting bear in Alaska may also need a high powered firearm in order to make sure that the bear is stopped before it charges at the hunter. Need is subjective.

I agree with your last sentence. We should restrict importation of firearms into the United States. More people would buy American made firearms then, which could only be a good thing.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,247,601 times
Quote:
Hanguns can't get off as many rounds, so I think that would decrease situations like with Newtown where 30 people were taken out. You can outrun a person with a handgun a lot faster than someone with an AK-47.

Military personnel need them for training purposes only. The average joe has no need for a high powered gun.

I also think we need to lower the overall supply of guns allowed into the U.S. period.
30 round .22 MAGNUMS....with detachable clips() oooooooohhhhhhhhhh and is has the magic bullet button............................................ ...

Kel Tec CNC

Again, education is your best friend, not leftist talking points....

Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,926,137 times
Quote:
We need better gun laws for the entire U.S. You don't get to decide which laws to follow. I hope stricter gun laws are on the way and yes you will follow them or they can throw you in jail.
What if there were an organized resistance by 10% of the gun owners? What about states that are passing laws nullifying federal gun laws? The feds use the commerce clause to enact federal laws.

Guns that are manufactured in a state, sold in a state and kept in a state should not fall under the interstate commerce clause. There is a suppressor company about 20 miles from my house. It is manufactured there, why can't I go buy one without paying $200 for a tax stamp and going through an extremely invasive background check that right now, takes about a year?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,262,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I own a handgun. I am nowhere near as good with it as many people that I know. However, by hotswapping magazines I can pop off 30 rounds in less than a minute and hit somewhere on the target with all 30. The idea that a firearm is more dangerous because it holds more rounds is ludicrous. You might as well say that a car goes faster because it has a larger gas tank.

Have you ever watched military personnel training? Do you really think that someone carrying an AK-47 runs faster than someone who is only burdened with a handgun? Or are you attempting to say that the rounds from a handgun somehow move so much slower than the rounds from an AK-47 that you might actually be able to outrun them?

You have no idea what someone might need in certain situations. Someone hunting elk in Colorado or Wyoming may need an extremely high powered firearm in order to take the long-distance shots that are sometimes called for. Someone hunting bear in Alaska may also need a high powered firearm in order to make sure that the bear is stopped before it charges at the hunter. Need is subjective.

I agree with your last sentence. We should restrict importation of firearms into the United States. More people would buy American made firearms then, which could only be a good thing.

As I wrote before, you can't kill 30 people so easily with a handgun. Guaranteed some of them would have gotten away.

I would bet that many people who even have high powered guns don't even have a hunting license or have any intention of hunting so I don't exactly buy that. I've seen gun shops in innercity areas selling Ak-47s. Highly doubt those are being sold with the intent of hunting.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What if there were an organized resistance by 10% of the gun owners? What about states that are passing laws nullifying federal gun laws? The feds use the commerce clause to enact federal laws.

Guns that are manufactured in a state, sold in a state and kept in a state should not fall under the interstate commerce clause. There is a suppressor company about 20 miles from my house. It is manufactured there, why can't I go buy one without paying $200 for a tax stamp and going through an extremely invasive background check that right now, takes about a year?
I know there are some extremist gun owners just waiting for something to jump off. But I'm guessing most people don't want to lose their jobs, homes, and families, and would just comply.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
As I wrote before, you can't kill 30 people so easily with a handgun. Guaranteed some of them would have gotten away.

I would bet that many people who even have high powered guns don't even have a hunting license or have any intention of hunting so I don't exactly buy that.
Why do they need a hunting license to own a hand gun? My rifles and pistols have not shot anything but paper in the last 5 years....

Quote:
I've seen gun shops in innercity areas selling Ak-47s. Highly doubt those are being sold with the intent of hunting.
I've seen a 10,000% decrease in AK-47 sales in the 4 states around me....

Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
30 round .22 MAGNUMS....with detachable clips() oooooooohhhhhhhhhh and is has the magic bullet button............................................ ...

Kel Tec CNC

Again, education is your best friend, not leftist talking points....
Left, right center. Could not give a damm about the politics of it. Just hate seeing innocent people lose their lives because guns are everywhere.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM

11,173 posts, read 10,754,518 times
Quote:
Left, right center. Could not give a damm about the politics of it. Just hate seeing innocent people lose their lives because guns are everywhere.
As long as you continue to blame guns for the loss of life, you will fail to realize that the true problem has to do with criminals.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Wrong, you, just as every other leftist have provided nothing but LAW LAW LAW and more LAWS..... to attempt to curb something that a criminal does not care about...LAWS.................

Tell me, what happened to all the laws that were about to go through congress? Ohhhhh, that's right, it's time for them to take a vacation and damn take up any gun legislation prior to a election year...as long as your on the left anyway...

Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,808,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Guns that are manufactured in a state, sold in a state and kept in a state should not fall under the interstate commerce clause.
Neither should guns manufactured in one state that are shipped or carried to another state.

The 2nd amendment is an amendment, remember?

It modified the Constitution.

One part of the Constitution that it modified, was the Commerce Clause.

Before the BOR was added to the Constitution, it was arguable that the Federal govt could regulate guns that were shipped in interstate commerce.

Once the 2nd amendment was added, that was no longer true. The 2A forbade the Fed govt (and state and local govts) from having ANY authority to regulate, restrict, or ban ANY guns for ANY reason. Including reasons that used to come from the Commerce Clause.

Something to keep in mind... and bring up and the next gun-case hearing before the Supreme Court. (But with the Supremes' habit of rewriting things they don't like, the result may be unpredictable.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies