Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Well being that the majority of jobs created are part time service industry positions I'm not surprised. You might as well sit home on welfare than bust your ass in jobs where you are paid crap and treated like crap.

Why not bust your as z for a couple years in a service industry job and work your way up within the company or a different company within the same industry? Almost all the CEOs of McDonalds started by working there flipping burgers. I swear, computers and smartphones have made people dumber and less patient. Everybody wants something now, now now without putting in the time. Sad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Study: Welfare pays better | Boston Herald

It fit in the title but It just points out that there are too many low wage jobs out there and our Welfare system may still be a bit too generous.
Eliminate most welfare programs....people will find work.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Why not bust your as z for a couple years in a service industry job and work your way up within the company or a different company within the same industry? Almost all the CEOs of McDonalds started by working there flipping burgers. I swear, computers and smartphones have made people dumber and less patient. Everybody wants something now, now now without putting in the time. Sad....

Service industry jobs really aren't careers unless you're at the corporate level. Trust me if you work a low wage job they prefer to keep a rotating door staff than promote anyone.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Almost all the CEOs of McDonalds started by working there flipping burgers.
My spouse, who grew up far poorer than even I had, managed to build a career as a software developer without ever getting a college degree. That was a long time ago. Things have changed. Over the last generation economic inequality has doubled, providing one level of impediment to moving from poverty into the middle class. In the last ten years, wages have been flat (really, declined in real terms) while productivity that feeds profit have skyrocketed by comparison, serving as a second level of impediment to advancing within our society.

Reverse these structural trends, not only to restore balance but to replace what would have been the gains for employees, lost during the last generation or more when the balance has been specifically been disrupted in the favor of economic exploitation and to the detriment of economic justice, and then you can talk about advancing from burger flipper to CEO.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
In the service industry you can be a salaried manager working so many hours that you ultimately are making less than those under you.

THat's right at a lower level manager position . IT's called putting in your time. You have to take that step to get to middle management and higher. MY friend worked as a janitor while he went to college. THey promoted him to supervisor, and ultimately he made a little less than what he did as a janitor when you consider total hours worked. Did that for a couple years and was promoted to regional manager of the Northeast within his company making six figures. THis country is wonderful if you have emotional intelligence and are willing to put in your time. It's always been that way. Some where along the line though it became a mindset amongst the masses that these things are supposed to come to people without effort and sacrifice. I thank my parents for instilling a work ethic in me, and for not listening or accepting excuses from me when I started to whine like a little fairy when I was younger!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
My spouse, who grew up far poorer than even I had, managed to build a career as a software developer without ever getting a college degree. That was a long time ago. Things have changed. Over the last generation economic inequality has doubled, providing one level of impediment to moving from poverty into the middle class. In the last ten years, wages have been flat (really, declined in real terms) while productivity that feeds profit have skyrocketed by comparison, serving as a second level of impediment to advancing within our society.

Reverse these structural trends, not only to restore balance but to replace what would have been the gains for employees, lost during the last generation or more when the balance has been specifically been disrupted in the favor of economic exploitation and to the detriment of economic justice, and then you can talk about advancing from burger flipper to CEO.

I have a great respect for people like your spouse. The level of satisfaction and pride from his/her achievement must be off the charts.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
THat's right at a lower level manager position . IT's called putting in your time. You have to take that step to get to middle management and higher. MY friend worked as a janitor while he went to college. THey promoted him to supervisor, and ultimately he made a little less than what he did as a janitor when you consider total hours worked. Did that for a couple years and was promoted to regional manager of the Northeast within his company making six figures. THis country is wonderful if you have emotional intelligence and are willing to put in your time. It's always been that way. Some where along the line though it became a mindset amongst the masses that these things are supposed to come to people without effort and sacrifice. I thank my parents for instilling a work ethic in me, and for not listening or accepting excuses from me when I started to whine like a little fairy when I was younger!

I worked in a grocery store for 11 years and the managers were often female and only got there by their looks and sleeping with the upper managers. They were lazy as balls too. Moving up in the service industry is done quite differently than in "real" industries where actual skill and competency is required.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 AM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Public assistance should cover the basic needs: Safe, clean housing; serviceable clothing that a prospective employer would find acceptable; three square meals a day that a nutritionist would approve of; healthcare to keep one healthy, productive, and physically capable; secondary education for children and teens (effectively handled); transportation to jobs and job opportunities - enough to cover the costs of living and work one's way out of poverty. Nothing more than that. Jobs should pay more than that covers. Jobs that don't are exploitative.
Public assistance? Sounds more like complete government parenting. My tax dollars are not for cleaning your home, three square meals designed by a nutritionist, transportation to/from work, cost of living increases nor much of what you stated. It's bad enough that some people don't work because they game the system. You have an ideal perception of what people would do with all this parenting assistance.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Zombie thread from 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies