Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Perhaps her mere image reminds these veterans of their pain, losses and the trauma they have been through? Have ever thought of that?

Maybe they are not "blaming", they just don't want to be reminded.
Yeah, I've thought of that. (Shoulder shrug)

Again, don't know why her image should bum them out so much. She's not to blame for ANYTHING.

The images that should anger them are Ike, Kennedy, McNamara, Johnson, Nixon, Dulles, etc...

Fonda isn't the source of their problems. Their anger is misdirected. She's just an easy target because they were unable to go after the guys who were really responsible for their predicament. I get it.

"I can't get them, so I'll get HER!"

It's the American way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, they don't think about such things. They don't give a **** who they hurt as long as their political beliefs and philosophies are furthered. And that doesn't apply to just one side, either.
How is anyone's political beliefs furthered by not being angry at Fonda?

She's not to blame for Vietnam. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM

[quote=gmagoo;34230083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am in my 20s and I know that Vietnam Veterans have been treated horribly. This is history.

It`s not history at all. In fact the only ones who treated the Viet vets poorly were the American Legion and the VFW.
PART TWO: Spitting Image: this Legacy of Vietnam is a MYTH | Veterans Today
This is absolutely true.

The overwhelming majority of Vietnam veterans were treated just fine when they came home.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Shame on Obama for helping to perpetuate this nonsense.
Legend of the spat-upon Vietnam veteran | Opinion | The Seattle Times

Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;34230127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post

This is absolutely true.

The overwhelming majority of Vietnam veterans were treated just fine when they came home.
History or not history, this private business owner has his right to not show that movie, don't you think?

Why is it such a Controversial? Why would anybody risk losing businesses if the issue is not important to him.

Why would anybody lie about trauma they went through?

If he doesn't want to show that movie, he doesn't want to show that movie. Just let him be already.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM

55 posts, read 41,522 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;34230127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post

This is absolutely true.

Were treated fairly??? I am an OIF/OEF vet, and I have a multitude of organizations and benefits compensation, and even praise for my service. This simply just isn't true for the brave warfighters that came before me. The truth is, there was a HUMONGOUS anti-war movement that was going on at the time, not to mention a counter-culture movement. I knew countless Vietnam Vets, including three of my uncles that provided personal testimony about their mistreatment by the majority of American citizens. So I do not know your age, or your sources of information, yet I am very curious were you came about the knowledge to make such a bold statement??

Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
A Kentucky Movie Theater owner who trained pilots for the Vietnam War is refusing to show the hit movie The Butler because it features Jane Fonda.
Is it time to forget??
Movie Pictures | Movie Posters - Yahoo! Movies
Not for him, apparently. I think it's foolish to run a business with emotion, but that's his right. Then again, he's getting some publicity from this, so it might be a good call, business-wise.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM

[quote=lilyflower3191981;34230173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

History or not history, this private business owner has his right to not show that movie, don't you think?

Why is it such a Controversial? Why would anybody risk losing businesses if the issue is not important to him.

Why would anybody lie about trauma they went through?

If he doesn't want to show that movie, he doesn't want to show that movie. Just let him be already.
I couldn't possibly care less about this man or what he shows in his theatre.

I'm only saying that his anger is stupidly misplaced.
[quote=HARDKORE0811;34230213]
Quote:
Were treated fairly??? I am an OIF/OEF vet, and I have a multitude of organizations and benefits compensation, and even praise for my service. This simply just isn't true for the brave warfighters that came before me. The truth is, there was a HUMONGOUS anti-war movement that was going on at the time, not to mention a counter-culture movement. I knew countless Vietnam Vets, including three of my uncles that provided personal testimony about their mistreatment by the majority of American citizens. So I do not know your age, or your sources of information, yet I am very curious were you came about the knowledge to make such a bold statement??
Your uncles are simply dead wrong.

And yes, there was a huge anti war movement. Good...there should have been.

But they didn't mistreat the troops. Vietnam vets came home and did just fine. Yeah, some had issues with readjustment, but that's normal.

But this whole "abused, tortured Vietnam vet" stuff is a load. It didn't happen.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Jane Fonda was and is a ditz. And the owner of a theater can show whatever he pleases. But likewise, people who have no use for American militarism and the ****ty little rednecks who glorify it can keep their dollars out of this guy's business.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've thought of that. (Shoulder shrug)

Again, don't know why her image should bum them out so much.
Maybe because of these

http://www.1stcavmedic.com/Jane_Fonda/Jane_gun.jpg

http://www.mrconservative.com/files/2013/04/fonda3.jpg

Maybe these Veterans just don't want to be reminded. not showing her, ugh "hit movie" is part of letting go? Just maybe?

Let him be.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
[quote=HARDKORE0811;34230213]
Quote:
It may depend on where someone is from. I'm a Vietnam-era vet myself (no combat duty), and I know many combat vets who weren't treated any differently because of their service. This was in Chicago in the early-mid '70s. Other parts of the country, or even Chicago, may have been different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies