Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 AM

39,277 posts, read 27,671,721 times

Advertisements

[quote=desertdetroiter;34230265]
I couldn't possibly care less about this man or what he shows in his theatre.

I'm only saying that his anger is stupidly misplaced.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but you care enough to make a comment, no?

My point is that you have no ideas what went through this business owner's mind, why judge him?

He is not hurting anybody by not showing that movie either. Only thing he loses is revenue and income.

How do you know that he is "blaming", how do you even know he is angry? Maybe he doesn't want to be reminded because war is painful to a lot of vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 AM

55 posts, read 41,565 times
nvxplorer.... You still didn't answer my questions?? What are the sources you draw this information from??? Is this personal-experiential knowledge?? If theoretic, by what sources did you draw your information from?? Or, may I ask, is this a generated hypothesis on your part??

Don't worry, I will match you... Once you draw your sources, can correctly cite the information, and can PROVE that this isn't some left-wing conspiracy-theory nut-job quotes that you saw on some Youtube video, I will be serious with you....

Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM

25,913 posts, read 18,919,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How is anyone's political beliefs furthered by not being angry at Fonda?

She's not to blame for Vietnam. It's that simple.
And if I were around in WWII and I went over to Germany and gave Hitler a big juicy kiss and Himmler a blow job, would you not be angry, or at least have a raised eyebrow?

Sorry, hyperbole. Can't resist. More realistically, If I were to go to Germany at the time and smile as I sat on the 88mm gun flaks that were blowing your countrymen out of the air, would you not be a bit upset?

Keep in mind that I am not a yankee-doodle patriot. I disagree with most every military action we've taken. I'm anti-government, for the most part. I do not think our military should be anywhere but right here in our own kingdom. But, AT THE TIME, what that woman did was damn stupid at best and criminal at worst.

Ultimately, none of this matters to the OP topic. It's his theater; he can show what he likes. And there is no justification for demonizing him for not showing Ms. Fonda. Yes, you do have the right to disagree and not go to his theater in response. But that's where it should stop. Just like I have a right to dislike Ms. Fonda for whatever reason I choose, or not dislike her. That's the wonderful thing about the concept of free agency. But free agency generally does not include going to a nation that we are at war with and playing footsie.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,537,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKORE0811 View Post
nvxplorer.... You still didn't answer my questions?? What are the sources you draw this information from??? Is this personal-experiential knowledge?? If theoretic, by what sources did you draw your information from?? Or, may I ask, is this a generated hypothesis on your part??
I don't recall any questions from you, but my post about Vietnam vets, of whom I am one, is personal experience.

Quote:
Don't worry, I will match you... Once you draw your sources, can correctly cite the information, and can PROVE that this isn't some left-wing conspiracy-theory nut-job quotes that you saw on some Youtube video, I will be serious with you....
Is this directed at me? Not sure where you're going.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM

39,277 posts, read 27,671,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I don't recall any questions from you, but my post about Vietnam vets, of whom I am one, is personal experience.

Is this directed at me? Not sure where you're going.
Correct me if I am wrong and I will be the first to admit that I am always wrong.

I have never seen combat, but I do have several friends who are combat Veterans. Their experiences are not exactly the same. Some even enjoyed their time in the Military. Some hated. Different people have different experiences.

So maybe your experience as a Vietnam Veteran is not the norm? I am not saying you are wrong, i am just saying why judge?

If some veterans believe they have been mistreated, maybe they have been.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM

55 posts, read 41,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKORE0811 View Post

Sorry, thank you for your service. Your information is obviously experiential, based in the Chigago area. However, if you lived a life in the North East coast of the Untied States in the sixties, based on your knowledge of the atmospherics of the area, could you deny that segregation and racism existed??? I'm sure experiences differ in Massachusetts compared to Alabama. Do you think that I am not straying far from the truth in that assumption???

Now, your own personal experience, not having undergone combat-trauma, and in Chigago.... Wouldn't you say that it is an unfair assumption to GENERALIZE every Veteran experience SOLELY based on your own??? Maybe your experience has differed from the hard-charging recon Marine Sniper that spent most of his days in the bush watching his boys pass, then comes home to visit his mom and dad in San Francisco and is too SCARED to even open up and talk because of the massive public opinion that was in the air degrading them for their service???

As a combat vet, the worst thing "outside the wire" isn't witnessing death, getting blown-up, or shot at! It is realizing your own mortality, then knowing you can't stop, you gotta suck it up, and keep pushing, no matter how many of your boys pass.... Then coming home, even to indifference, can absolutely be heart-wrenching!!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,495,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Sorry, hyperbole. Can't resist. More realistically, If I were to go to Germany at the time and smile as I sat on the 88mm gun flaks that were blowing your countrymen out of the air, would you not be a bit upset?
The difference is that we were clear aggressors in Vietnam. We weren't the innocent saints we affected to be in WW2 either, but at least we had the excuse of fighting other, arguably worse aggressors who were *not* fighting in their own countries.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And if I were around in WWII and I went over to Germany and gave Hitler a big juicy kiss and Himmler a blow job, would you not be angry, or at least have a raised eyebrow?

Keep in mind that I am not a yankee-doodle patriot. I disagree with most every military action we've taken. I'm anti-government, for the most part. I do not think our military should be anywhere but right here in our own kingdom. But, AT THE TIME, what that woman did was damn stupid at best and criminal at worst.

Ultimately, none of this matters to the OP topic. It's his theater; he can show what he likes. And there is no justification for demonizing him for not showing Ms. Fonda. Yes, you do have the right to disagree and not go to his theater in response. But that's where it should stop. Just like I have a right to dislike Ms. Fonda for whatever reason I choose, or not dislike her. That's the wonderful thing about the concept of free agency. But free agency generally does not include going to a nation that we are at war with and playing footsie.
Bad analogy. Hitler declared war on this country.

The North Vietnamese didn't. They weren't bothering us at all.

We went there meddling in their business and got whipped.

Jane Fonda had nothing to do with that.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,537,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong and I will be the first to admit that I am always wrong.

I have never seen combat, but I do have several friends who are combat Veterans. Their experiences are not exactly the same. Some even enjoyed their time in the Military. Some hated. Different people have different experiences.

So maybe your experience as a Vietnam Veteran is not the norm? I am not saying you are wrong, i am just saying why judge?

If some veterans believe they have been mistreated, maybe they have been.
I didn't judge anyone. I wrote basically the same thing you're writing here. Not sure how you interpreted my post, but maybe you should reread it.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Maybe because of these

http://www.1stcavmedic.com/Jane_Fonda/Jane_gun.jpg

http://www.mrconservative.com/files/2013/04/fonda3.jpg

Maybe these Veterans just don't want to be reminded. not showing her, ugh "hit movie" is part of letting go? Just maybe?

Let him be.
Let him be?

I don't know the guy and I don't care one wit about the guy or his theatre

As for the pics...big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies