Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
If that were the case, I would consider these doctors to be serious douches.
As are those who refuse a good paying customer, just because their wedding is between two men/women. But as I've said a few times, if they're deemed private, I guess it's their right to be douches.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think your perspective of a public accommodation is overly broad. A public accommodation does not include ALL private businesses. Retail stores, restaurants, gas stations etc are subject to the public accommodation protections. An individual contractor offering a service is probably NOT subject to these laws. (I am not a lawyer, and I don't think you are either).
That's right, and if you read the thread, I explained not only that I'm not a lawyer, but that the issue of public accommodations not only varies state by state, where some states have defined it further than the federal law, but that it's also defined by case law (court rulings on laws) and subsequent civil rights legislation on a federal level--all of that is beyond the language in the Civil Rights Act of 1964. That's why I said it would be helpful for someone who IS an attorney with a constitutional law background to explain it on a federal level, because it's complicated.

However, in the state of New Mexico, which is where the case referred to in this thread occurred, their state law defines public accommodation to cover all businesses providing services to or selling to the public. That includes every business that you mentioned. A wedding photographer (an individual contractor) was the subject of the case--he refused to take pictures at a gay wedding on religious grounds--and the court has ruled against him three times.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
A famous Jewish photographer once took a pretty famous photograph of Joseph Goebbels. I don't think Goebbels thought much of it after finding out that Alfred Eisenstadt was Jewish.

Just threw that in here, I'm not sure what one should take from it.

I think a photographer would be foolish to turn down a paid contract. I would tend to join in a boycott of any business that decided to for reasons like this which is how I feel this should be handled.

I was thinking about an earlier discussion about how one shouldn't have to lie to get out of work you don't want though...... What if it went like this.......

The photographer tells the couple that he will take the contract and will give them his best service but he feels he must tell them that he does not believe in or support their lifestyle.

Would you still want him doing your wedding? Would he not be within any laws?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A famous Jewish photographer once took a pretty famous photograph of Joseph Goebbels. I don't think Goebbels thought much of it after finding out that Alfred Eisenstadt was Jewish.

Just threw that in here, I'm not sure what one should take from it.

I think a photographer would be foolish to turn down a paid contract.
As a Jewish musician myself, I would have to agree! Almost every single year since I was like 12, I've been doing Messiah and/or Nutcracker performances... and for the last 5 or so years, I've also done an Easter "resurrection" concert at a local Seventh Day Adventist Church. Most of these are paid gigs, but they're fun to do regardless! So yeah, I don't really care who or what my clients believe in - provided they aren't going soooo far out of my realm of "okay," like a neo-Nazi or WBC rally. Even then, if they were respectful and I wasn't actually participating, it wouldn't necessarily go against my beliefs.

And that's where things become subjective, since a devout anti-gay Christian could say the same. But when I'm performing as an independent musician, I have every right to make these judgment calls... when I'm at my real job, however, I do not and have actually served neo-Nazis with a smile. So I guess it all boils down to HOW you are serving them and WHERE.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Aside from the fact that nobody can CHOOSE to find anyone sexually attractive if they don't already (your example of thinking a friend looks good is silly - unless you also want to have sex with that friend), and that your lesbian sister is hardly representative of EVERY gay person, what does this have to do with anything? Even if it were a choice, which I highly doubt since I've never been able to choose my attractions, what does that have to do with anti-discrimination laws? It's a choice to be a practicing Christian, and they're still protected against discrimination... they are also allowed to marry, as are people of many sexual proclivities outside of strict homosexuality. So if you want to discuss the science behind homosexuality, maybe you could start a new thread where it will actually be relevant.

P.S. Until you can prove YOUR claim that it isn't an inborn trait, kindly stop pretending like what you're saying is fact while the rest of us are just speculating... if you noticed, I have only used speculative words in my statements here (and haven't once said I know anything 100%). So why do you get to present opinion as fact without evidence, while insisting the rest of us cannot do so? Fair is fair, buddy.
You're talking to someone who was askeered to stay in Key West cuz of teh ghey. Typing against a lead wall on that one.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
You're talking to someone who was askeered to stay in Key West cuz of teh ghey. Typing against a lead wall on that one.
Lol! Seriously?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think your perspective of a public accommodation is overly broad. A public accommodation does not include ALL private businesses. Retail stores, restaurants, gas stations etc are subject to the public accommodation protections. An individual contractor offering a service is probably NOT subject to these laws. (I am not a lawyer, and I don't think you are either).
True to some extent. Civil rights laws are limited in the sense that most of them (at least at the federal level, and I believe most at the state level though of course I don't have a working knowledge of all state civil rights laws!) are limited to companies that have OVER a certain number of employees. They also make exceptions in some cases for certain types of businesses.

Not all federal and state civil rights laws apply to all businesses. For instance, my husband is an independent contractor and I can't think of a SINGLE civil rights law that applies to his business (it's an LLC).

Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
No. I never said that. I don't care that key west has gay people, I just was worried about taking my 10 year old niece to a place where I hear that they have constant gay pride parades every day. It's called being a good adult, perhaps you would do best to stop slandering and personal attacks at people.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I wouldn't take my grandkids to a gay pride parade either. I would, however, take them over to our gay neighbor's house for dessert, or invite my gay neighbors over for dinner and a movie, or a BBQ and football yelling and hollering match, along with my grandkids.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
these 2 lesbians are terrorists and should be treated as such.
Millions of people came to this country for freedom of religion, how many people came here for the freedom of sexual perversion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies