Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Which again doesn't change the fact that Hispanic Americans outperformed Latin American students and black Americans outperformed Trinidad. Asian American students were outperformed by Shanghai students in Reading and Japan and Korea in math.

I wouldn't use the public school system, but it isn't as dire as you make it out to be.
Sure, because you broke it up to show that Whites perform just as well as other countries.
Sadly though it was not only Whites that took the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that becomes a moot point when the US has decided that mass college education will be put on 100% of the school population.

We did this to ourselves. Other countries track and have academic/vocational paths.
Only the academic tracks take the PISA.
But the US has 100% of their students on the academic track so this is what we get.

The other countries are not only catching up but surpassing us.

Just remember those low scoring students are in the same class as the ones who accel and the teaching is to the lowest common denominator.

Agree 100%. This is the biggest problem I have with public schools. The problem isn't as bad early on (K-3, let's say), but when the content gets really difficult, teaching to the lowest common denominator dumbs down the entire class.

When you are penalizing your BEST and BRIGHTEST students at the expense of your mediocre/failing students, something is wrong. Everybody isn't going off to college, nor should they be.

We have a lot of problems with our public school system, but the answer to fixing them will never come out of Washington, D.C.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Certainly not a right winger but I can't see your point. You of anyone should be thrilled that intelligent, respectful kids in lower income areas would have a chance to succeed and make something of themselves. If you talked to the parents of those children, I bet each and everyone wished an opportunity like this would come along for their kids.
I am all for disadvantaged children succeeding. The solution is not shipping some kids off to private schools with insufficient funds for tuition. You'll notice that no one has answered my question about how much each child will receive as a stipend and how long that money will run? The solution is fixing poor public schools. Many of the solutions will bother some of my fellow lefties, but that is the path to follow, not diverting some poor kids off to for-profit schools and leaving most of the rest in failing schools.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I am all for disadvantaged children succeeding. The solution is not shipping some kids off to private schools with insufficient funds for tuition. You'll notice that no one has answered my question about how much each child will receive as a stipend and how long that money will run? The solution is fixing poor public schools. Many of the solutions will bother some of my fellow lefties, but that is the path to follow, not diverting some poor kids off to for-profit schools and leaving most of the rest in failing schools.
Where in the equation is the accountability of the parents of the disadvantaged children?

I've found -- with my 4 kids, to say nothing of having been raised by a college VP and teacher -- that education works best when it is a collaborative effort.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
at first I thought private school meant parochial and traditional private schools. I thought, why would that be a problem? after reading more about it, apparently this money is going to charter, for profit "private" schools, not real private schools. these are for profit, tax payer funded schools. why can't the state of Louisiana just put this money into their public schools? to be honest, though, I don't see the racial angle of this. unless I'm wrong, can't any child chose these "private" schools? is there something more that I am missing? seems to me, the racial angle is just a way for the DOJ to fight tax payer funded, for profit schools, which is fine with me, but I don't see the racial angle myself.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM

20,464 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
the La. policy is the $$ follows the kids.

the families dont actually get money, that they then use to offset private school tuition.

the money that would be spent in a public school goes to the school for that child that is enrolled.

the familes arent spending anything.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
at first I thought private school meant parochial and traditional private schools. I thought, why would that be a problem? after reading more about it, apparently this money is going to charter, for profit "private" schools, not real private schools. these are for profit, tax payer funded schools. why can't the state of Louisiana just put this money into their public schools? to be honest, though, I don't see the racial angle of this. unless I'm wrong, can't any child chose these "private" schools? is there something more that I am missing? seems to me, the racial angle is just a way for the DOJ to fight tax payer funded, for profit schools, which is fine with me, but I don't see the racial angle myself.
you have to either be enrolled in a failing school, or entering kindergarten at a failing school. You have to be in a family below 250% of poverty line.

The goal of the La. program is to FORCE competition on the public schools. Charter schools are "for profit" but they dont get more money per kid than the public schools, and they have to perform by the same standards as the public schools. if they are deemed to be failing, they dont get public funds and they end up folding.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
NOLA is predominately Black though and to remove 5 White children from a public school makes it segregated again.

About 4000 children in NOLA are attending private school and that includes religious schools.
It's the parent's choice.

More are pulling their kids out of failing schools and the unions are going ballistic over this.
The only way the unions can get the kids back into the public schools is to use the desecration laws.
Academically these schools are failing and that's why the parents pulled them out to begin with.

Locals react to DOJ lawsuit over school vouchers - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM

to be clear what EOS (Enemy of the State) Holder is doing....

He is suing La. to prevent them from allowing poor kids in failing schools that are under "desegregation" orders from leaving the failing school.

the point here is that he thinks it is more important to insure kids are bused to schools outside of their neighborhoods to failing schools than it is to insure these kids actually get a good solid education.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that becomes a moot point when the US has decided that mass college education will be put on 100% of the school population.

We did this to ourselves. Other countries track and have academic/vocational paths.
Only the academic tracks take the PISA.
But the US has 100% of their students on the academic track so this is what we get.

The other countries are not only catching up but surpassing us.

Just remember those low scoring students are in the same class as the ones who accel and the teaching is to the lowest common denominator.
I think it is interesting to highlight the bolded above. Many of you who like to speak ill of the educational achievement of black students in particular fail to realize that not all students are tested in other countries unlike in ours. If you included their disadvantaged students, there would more than likely be different results.

In regards to the OP though, I am black and am for school choice. I actually am looking to move back to my home state of Ohio before my son reaches the high school level due to the many ranges of choices available to parents for their children's education there from traditional public, private, private vouchers, and charter schools. They even have inter district transfers where students can move from an urban to a suburban school system without having to physically change their address, they can just apply for a transfer to a better school.

Holder and Obama are in the camp of the public school camp. I honestly do not feel that they are in bed with teacher unions or harbor any ill will against black people like many have stated in this thread though. Many people support public schools because it is a fact that private schools who receive vouchers (along with charter schools) will not take a student or cannot take a student with special needs. They also will kick out a student who has behavior problems. Regular public schools cannot do what the private and charters do and chose their students selectively based on involved parents - many poor parents want their children to succeed and raise those children well. They will deny admission to those who have an IEP or with other needs that they either can't or don't want to support so that leaves the throw aways for the traditional public schools and then those of us who criticize schools will use those leftover children's poor academics as proof that teachers aren't trying to teach children when in many cases that is the furthest thing from the truth there is.

But, I do feel that the law in LA is pretty antiquated. I also don't think they should take away the vouchers from the families who are using them. If anything, they should just grandfather in the children already at those schools until the case is settled then, if they win, they will be able to issue more vouchers.

I personally do support traditional schools, but like many have mentioned, they are failing black children especially. Many charter and private schools (especially parochial and KIPP charters) prove that low income black children can score just as high as other children if taught and encouraged appropriately.

I don't believe that children should be put on tracks either, as what was done in the past as many of those tracks were race based and I probably would not have been put on a college prep path based on that due to me being black. I do feel we should have more vocational training though for students and families to chose. At my high school we had vocational paths along with college prep and we took advantage of those opportunities and got certified in various trades (auto mechanics, cosmetologist, medical assistants, etc) while in high school so graduated with job opportunities and a college prep diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies