Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,710,483 times

Advertisements

The teacher union was saying that last year. They couldn't defend academics because the schools were failing.
Instead they said it was illegal due to segregation laws and they needed that money to fund their resources.

The money follows the kid. When you have 4000 kids leaving the public school system in NOLA that's a lot of Fed $$$ going with that kid.

And the schools had no way to make up that money.

Overall it's a pretty sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,783,001 times
The Triumph of School Choice in New Orleans | FreedomWorks

Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,414,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I am all for disadvantaged children succeeding. The solution is not shipping some kids off to private schools with insufficient funds for tuition. You'll notice that no one has answered my question about how much each child will receive as a stipend and how long that money will run? The solution is fixing poor public schools. Many of the solutions will bother some of my fellow lefties, but that is the path to follow, not diverting some poor kids off to for-profit schools and leaving most of the rest in failing schools.
These schools have obviously been in decline for decades, and it will take decades to fix them. Or more likely, since you admit that the solutions would bother many of your fellow lefties, they will never be fixed at all. What would you propose about the students who are in these failing systems right now?

Tell them, sorry, you're going to end up a burger flipper or criminal. You were just born 20 years too early. We're working on it.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM

For 5 years they were allowed to operate.
Meanwhile NOLA public schools sunk deeper and more schools got failing marks.
With those failing marks more pulled their kids out.

The public school system was losing too much money.
That's at the heart of this.
Get the kids back into the school and the schools will get their money.

Notice you don't see anyone arguing about the academics of this or that Fed law allows children in failing schools to go somewhere else.

I guess the sheer number of kids opting out hit a financial nerve.

I can't think that all of a sudden Holder now is concerned about desecration when this program has been running and growing for 5 years and actually has some success compared to the NOLA public schools.

Granted the scores aren't great but they certainly trump the 40% pass and 50% graduate rates the public school has that they don't boast about.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM

20,502 posts, read 12,438,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The teacher union was saying that last year. They couldn't defend academics because the schools were failing.
Instead they said it was illegal due to segregation laws and they needed that money to fund their resources.

The money follows the kid. When you have 4000 kids leaving the public school system in NOLA that's a lot of Fed $$$ going with that kid.

And the schools had no way to make up that money.

Overall it's a pretty sad situation.

But do you force these families that really want to insure their kids success to stay in school that WILL fail their child just to keep things from getting "worse" for those kids who really dont want to be in school?

I just dont want to sacrifice these kids to keep those dollars in a failing school.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,167,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Where in the equation is the accountability of the parents of the disadvantaged children?

I've found -- with my 4 kids, to say nothing of having been raised by a college VP and teacher -- that education works best when it is a collaborative effort.
I could go on and on about that. You will never hear anyone tout the importance of that more than I. Most of the issues in education relate back to that. I don't like excuses when it comes parents and their kids, regardless who it is.

Let me give you an example: I just spent three years in close proximity to one of the poorer reservations in the country, where the missus taught. This is a reservation in which, and I'm not exaggerating, half the kids go home to abusers/sexual predators. This is a school system in which there is such little parental involvement that they have to give away TVs at conference time just to get attendees. I understand what was done to the ancestors of these people. I taught it. I condemned it time and again, to the consternation of some fellow whites. That said, the choice that elders and parents make to not be active participants in the education of their kids, to subject their babies and children to serial abuse...that is unacceptable and I'm not interested in hearing a litany of excuses and blame being put on others.

The problem is that when you meet with this sort of culture, you have children who are stuck in the situation. They did not choose to be born into the situation and I see no reason to further penalize them. You do the best you can in the schools, give them positive adult role models and hope that some of them break through and make something of themselves. Shipping them to different schools won't change the fact that they have inadequate parents at home.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
But do you force these families that really want to insure their kids success to stay in school that WILL fail their child just to keep things from getting "worse" for those kids who really dont want to be in school?

I just dont want to sacrifice these kids to keep those dollars in a failing school.
You are then sacrificing the future of society for the benefit of those that will drop out anyway.
That is happening all over the US in every public school.

The government had said that everyone is a winner so school must make it so or lose their money.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM

20,502 posts, read 12,438,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are then sacrificing the future of society for the benefit of those that will drop out anyway.
That is happening all over the US in every public school.

The government had said that everyone is a winner so school must make it so or lose their money.

I dont know... for some of these districts, maybe there just arent any really good answers. However, I cannot morally justify forcing a good student to stay in a bad school so the dollar will stay in the bad school.

Honestly I believe that the pressure of compitition will force those public schools to get innovative and find ways to improve.

They may need to change how they function but that is a good thing.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,893,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I could go on and on about that. You will never hear anyone tout the importance of that more than I. Most of the issues in education relate back to that. I don't like excuses when it comes parents and their kids, regardless who it is.

Let me give you an example: I just spent three years in close proximity to one of the poorer reservations in the country, where the missus taught. This is a reservation in which, and I'm not exaggerating, half the kids go home to abusers/sexual predators. This is a school system in which there is such little parental involvement that they have to give away TVs at conference time just to get attendees. I understand what was done to the ancestors of these people. I taught it. I condemned it time and again, to the consternation of some fellow whites. That said, the choice that elders and parents make to not be active participants in the education of their kids, to subject their babies and children to serial abuse...that is unacceptable and I'm not interested in hearing a litany of excuses and blame being put on others.

The problem is that when you meet with this sort of culture, you have children who are stuck in the situation. They did not choose to be born into the situation and I see no reason to further penalize them. You do the best you can in the schools, give them positive adult role models and hope that some of them break through and make something of themselves. Shipping them to different schools won't change the fact that they have inadequate parents at home.

Wow.

That situation is.........awful. Seriously. You're right, the kids didn't ask to be born into that. I admire your participation in trying to improve their situation, and I'm sure that must be incredibly frustrating.

This is both a rhetorical question, and one directed to you: How do you break a cycle like that?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I dont know... for some of these districts, maybe there just arent any really good answers. However, I cannot morally justify forcing a good student to stay in a bad school so the dollar will stay in the bad school.

Honestly I believe that the pressure of compitition will force those public schools to get innovative and find ways to improve.

They may need to change how they function but that is a good thing.
So do I. But we can see that the FedGov thinks otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies