Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times

Advertisements

Low wage workers end up getting subsidized by various gov't programs anyway.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM

50,399 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
My god, these people just dont understand entry level wages. It's not supposed to be a living wage! It should help motivate them to learn the basic job skills, and move up and/or out.

I'm willing to put money on it, but I bet more than 75% of those "striking" couldnt count back change. Such a simple skill yet I'm certain most of them cannot do it without a calculator. I've been asked to leave many fast food establishments because I was "harassing" the employee's by making them count back change without the register or calculator.

There is no skill level in fast food that is deserving of 10 plus dollars an hour until you get into management. Most of these people cant even say "please" when they ask for your money. This is common crap they should know.

If I owned a joint like this, the day before, I'd have tentative offers to many that are willing to work for the standard wage in place of anybody already working that chooses to walk out to protest.
It's even more dumb downed than ever. Remember how to actually know how to make change?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It will be interesting to see what kind of impact this has on the fast food joints.
none.. Service at them is horrible to begin with so you wouldnt notice, and the people that work there need their paychecks, so I doubt very many of them stay home.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM

50,399 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm feeling like some unhealthy food so I'll hit up a fast food joint today as well.

NEWSFLASH: Making hamburger and dunking fries into the fryer was NEVER meant to be a career.
YUP Nor was lettuce washer, lawn mower or dog walker. What's next, lemonaid stands?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Fast-food strikes set for cities nationwide - Yahoo! Finance

Fast-Food Protests Under Way
This news have appeared on international media as well.

Fast food workers demand $15 an hour for living wage. Right now the current federal minimum wage is $7.25, and Obama called for a raise to $9 an hour.

Thursday 8/29 will be the day thousands of fast food workers across cities walk out of their jobs to strike. I guess no McDonald's, Wendy's or Taco Bell on Thursday...,
This is something that Obama can hang his hat on. Obama is presiding over a long, drawn out recession, and people are so desperate for a job that more and more bread winners in the family can only find part-time work at fast food restaurants.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,415,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Fire these clowns. Many more people are willing to work.
How about these big companies who are amazingly wealthy live up to their social responsibility to the U.S. where they operate by paying their employees enough money to support themselves and not have to rely on public assistance in order to feed themselves and their families? As has been pointed out, our economy is making a huge shift to a becoming a service economy, which means that THESE TYPES ARE JOBS are going to be the MAJORITY of jobs available to our people in the not too distant future. It's time for the companies to "pay up" for their success and years of greed and taking, taking, taking from the taxpayers of the U.S. Raising the salaries of their employees is NOT going to hurt tem one iota. They'll still be far wealthier than 99% of our people would ever hope to be.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,513,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Housing is a major issue. The size of the average home has more than doubled since 1950. You have to wonder how much more money people would have if we lived in homes similar to those in 1950.
wonder where you get those averages

my home here in NY was built in 1912.....its 1500sf
my other house in NC was built in 1930....its 4000sf

Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,513,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's even more dumb downed than ever. Remember how to actually know how to make change?
I know...these unskilled workers have just lost all sense of reality (or math)

had a bill for 15.45......gave the cashier 20.45....she had to ASK ME, how much change I get

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,439,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How about these big companies who are amazingly wealthy live up to their social responsibility to the U.S. where they operate by paying their employees enough money to support themselves and not have to rely on public assistance in order to feed themselves and their families? As has been pointed out, our economy is making a huge shift to a becoming a service economy, which means that THESE TYPES ARE JOBS are going to be the MAJORITY of jobs available to our people in the not too distant future. It's time for the companies to "pay up" for their success and years of greed and taking, taking, taking from the taxpayers of the U.S. Raising the salaries of their employees is NOT going to hurt tem one iota. They'll still be far wealthier than 99% of our people would ever hope to be.

I think its kind of sad.

We go back 40 years or 50 years. Working at Mcdonalds or . . the wal-mart equivalent. NO one expected these jobs to pay for a family. People made money then, and make money now.

Those days companies like P&G were more powerful of course, with really strong profit margins. There was always someone profiting. . the only change to today is the buying power of Wal-Mart and Target has shifted those profits from the suppliers (P&G) to more even with the retailers.

So when I grew up, and before that, teenagers did these jobs. Singles working through college not families. That is what these jobs are best for. Low labor, low skilled. You don't want to work long. You don't think you can have a family and do these jobs.

So the economy changes, and more people don't have the skills to compete globally. So they start taking these high-school level jobs at wal-mart etc. Somehow you act as if this is wal-marts issue or problem. You point to wal-mart as the big bad

Look, Wal-Mart shouldn't be blamed for "catching" these people

you should instead wonder why we aren't producing people who can compete globally. . .instead of blaming the net that catches the last of these people as they fall through the cracks.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,214,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Low wage workers end up getting subsidized by various gov't programs anyway.
That's really the point. Right now most minimum wage workers qualify for food stamps, and their salaries are being subsidized by our tax dollars. Shifting the real cost of the employees to the company that hires them is common sense. I didn't know tax payers were supposed to be in the business of providing welfare (by subsidizing payroll) to companies making record profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies