Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,843,061 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the strike is really only happening in the minds of the ******* Media.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,720,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yeah, the strike is really only happening in the minds of the ******* Media.
Well the strike will hurt the strikers the most because that's their wages lost.
And so far these strikes have only been one day strikes because they can't afford to strike any longer.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,190,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Rather than demanding to be paid $15 an hour, why don't they just stop having children that they can't afford? But oh no, they expect the public to foot the bill for them.

.... or spend more time at home studying instead of taking that job from a teenager who just wants a few bucks for going out.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM

32,861 posts, read 19,577,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And these workers are adults, older adults with families.

One is a father of 2 kids making $7.40/hour and has been there for several years.

My son has been working p/t while in college for a place for one year and has gotten 2 raises and makes more than this guy.
if he has been there for several years ad has not gotten a raise.....then he must be doing something wrong

Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM

37,184 posts, read 42,381,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Fast food jobs aren't meant to be careers. I'm a liberal and even I think that 15 bucks an hour is excessive.
I never even suggested raising wages. I have no clue what they should earn, every place pays different anyway. BUT I take issue with the fantasy that if we fire all the "young stupid ones" we can replace them with mature, awesome people who want to work there instead....for the same wage.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if he has been there for several years ad has not gotten a raise.....then he must be doing something wrong
Well..maybe he has no HS diploma.
Or maybe he just puts in his hours and goes home.

There could be a number of reasons why he never got a raise.
The key to getting a raise though is initiative which is what I told my son when he turned 16.
Don't wait to be asked to go clean the tables or restock the supplies. If you're not busy and it needs to be done then go do it and don't wait to be told. Show your manager you don't need to be babysitted and micromanaged. Oh and no personal life while on the job..the cellphone NEVER comes out except for emergencies.

And it's paid off. My son now gets to train the new hires and gets extra money for it.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,492,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I never even suggested raising wages. I have no clue what they should earn, every place pays different anyway. BUT I take issue with the fantasy that if we fire all the "young stupid ones" we can replace them with mature, awesome people who want to work there instead....for the same wage.
It's no fantasy. There are plenty of people that would be happy to just have a job. Obviously these spoiled brats aren't.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
At $15/hour there's plenty of retirees that would apply.
Plenty of older adults that managers would not have to babysit and micromanage.

Managers would jump at that.

$15/hour for an 8 hour shift gets you $120.
That's more than I make when I do substitute teaching.
I have to pay out of my own pocket to keep my cert up to date with ongoing education per year.

No, that's no "fantasy" at all.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM

37,184 posts, read 42,381,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's no fantasy. There are plenty of people that would be happy to just have a job. Obviously these spoiled brats aren't.
"these spoiled brats" are the people who work these jobs. Same ones. It's the natural order. There are plenty of people who would be happy to just have a job, and they are working in fast food. This is what you get when things are the way they are.

You mind is in some fantasy trap where you need to pretend it's all this persons fault and other people wouldn't dream of asking for more money.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM

3,920 posts, read 3,657,788 times
Quote:
Because high quality workers and folks with intelligence want to spend their life over a fryer for $7 an hour
Exactly! Most people who work in the fast food industry are there because they do not qualify for a better paying job. They lack any special skills, thus their pay is on the lower end of the scale. Many of these workers are high school dropouts or migrant workers. They do not deserve to get paid a wage higher than most teachers receive.

But I have a better idea. Instead of a wage, how about an economics class. That way, we can educate these people about just how their big pay raise would affect their daily lives. Minimum wage is $7.25. These people are asking for over twice that. So, lets say we give it to them. Awesome, now they make $15.00/hr. Lets go to the grocery store. WHAT!!! Why is a gallon of milk now $8/gallon. Why is gas now $8/gallon. Why is that pack of cigarettes now $11/pack. Well, that would be because your big wage increase has driven up prices. That's how it works. So in the end, that extra money in your pocket won't mean a thing.

Bottom line, if you want higher wages, try to improve yourself. Put forth a little effort, take some night classes, do something other than try to make your low paying job into something it was never meant to be. We don't work at McDonald's to make it a career, unless of course we plan to manage or possible own a franchise at some point in our lives. Don't expect to get premium wages from a job that sells a large majority of it's products for a buck. The reason we can get these burgers and fries so cheap is the work force required to make them doesn't need any higher education or special skills to perform the job. Just pick up a spat and go to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies