Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM

37,162 posts, read 42,333,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At $15/hour there's plenty of retirees that would apply.
Plenty of older adults that managers would not have to babysit and micromanage.

Managers would jump at that.

$15/hour for an 8 hour shift gets you $120.
That's more than I make when I do substitute teaching.
I have to pay out of my own pocket to keep my cert up to date with ongoing education per year.

No, that's no "fantasy" at all.
Well you are the one paying $15 in this fantasy, not me. I never said anything about raising wages, just the expectations people have about the ones who work for minimum. There is no giant pool of super duper employees lining up for these position at the wages they pay now. There just isn't. If you fired everyone today you would end up with the same kinds of people tomorrow. I don't know why people have a hard time understanding this.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 AM

52,974 posts, read 34,809,429 times
Quote:
It's in the big urban centers that will get public attention.
NYC, Detroit, Chicago.
Local McDonald’s Forced To Close Amid Protest For Higher Wages « CBS Detroit

Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"these spoiled brats" are the people who work these jobs. Same ones. It's the natural order. There are plenty of people who would be happy to just have a job, and they are working in fast food. This is what you get when things are the way they are.

You mind is in some fantasy trap where you need to pretend it's all this persons fault and other people wouldn't dream of asking for more money.
How could a father of 2 work for McDonalds for several years and still be making $7.40/hour ?
This guy was in Detroit and that is the state min wage.
You really think all these workers are "go getters" that deserve higher wages ?

Because if they really were "go getters" they wouldn't be working there to begin with.

Would you stay at a job for several years and never get a raise ?
Me..I'd be gone after the 6 month period came and went and I got nothing or a bad review.
That's how frequently hourly workers in FF get reviews (based on what my son has been through in the min wage world)

Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,333,240 times
Quote:
How could a father of 2 work for McDonalds for several years and still be making $7.40/hour ?
This guy was in Detroit and that is the state min wage.
You really think all these workers are "go getters" that deserve higher wages ?

Because if they really were "go getters" they wouldn't be working there to begin with.

Would you stay at a job for several years and never get a raise ?
Me..I'd be gone after the 6 month period came and went and I got nothing or a bad review.
That's how frequently hourly workers in FF get reviews (based on what my son has been through in the min wage world)
You seem not to read anything I write or understand it.

LISTEN: I don't know if the wages should be raised. These are transient jobs which automatically brings a lot of low quality work. I think people get themselves into financial trouble. I also know there are NOT tons of awesome people lining up for these jobs.

This is the result of all the above. You don't disagree but want to scapegoat a specific type of person and blame them for this for whatever reason. Knock yourself out.

Speaking of McD's, when I was a kid they used to promote themselves as a company you COULD grow with. That is, start at the bottom and work your way up. There were ads in the magazines and papers and,unless I'm misremembering, even a commercial or two. That still a thing or is it mostly a revolving door, pump and dump type of job now?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,979,507 times
If the corporations bow to this liberal pressure, sell your stock in them because the company is not going to last. Companies raise money by selling stock or shares, this gives them money to operate and expand without paying interest. If they do not run the company right the stock drops in value. If they do not stay profitable or expand they drop in value. Who will buy an 8 dollar Big mac, which is what will happen if this extortion is allowed to go through. Where do you think the money comes from to pay these people their wage? 15 and hour for a burger flipper? Really a 5yo Monkey can do that job and many times they do, or at least the collective intelligence of one.

Liberals think there is some hidden well of money that the rich are not sharing, well in the case of a company its not the case. Share holders get dividends or part of the profit for their investments into the company. So you liberals say screw the investors, OK so lets say McDonalds does say that, the company stock will fall like a rock, McDonalds will have to try to make up for the lost money and revenue and the company would most likely fail.

Then the idiot liberals would then protest to try to force the company to stay open. You never seemed to learn Business 101

Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You seem not to read anything I write or understand it.

LISTEN: I don't know if the wages should be raised. These are transient jobs which automatically brings a lot of low quality work. I think people get themselves into financial trouble. I also know there are NOT tons of awesome people lining up for these jobs.

This is the result of all the above. You don't disagree but want to scapegoat a specific type of person and blame them for this for whatever reason. Knock yourself out.
I'm not scapegoating.

These are the types of people the MSM are interviewing and writing articles about.

Older adults with children and families working min wage jobs where they haven't received raises in years.

That one guy in Detroit and then another woman in NYC and she's been at her job for 8 years.
Why that's even before the big crash of 2008.

The MSM is the one out there with the propaganda, not me.

And you're right about firing the entire store and rehiring new ones to take their place.
At min wage you'll get the same group.

But up the wage to $15, which is what they want and on all their picket signs, and you will get a higher skilled, more mature group applying.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,798,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Companies raise money by selling stock or shares, this gives them money to operate and expand without paying interest.
that is, in fact, the opposite of how it is actually done in america.

in america, companies tend to do the reverse, and take on debt (because it is tax-deductible) in order to BUY BACK shares.

It's Time to Stop Favoring Debt Over Equity - Businessweek

A 2005 Congressional Budget Office report estimated that corporate investments financed with equity are effectively taxed at a 36.1 percent rate while those financed with debt enjoy a negative effective rate of 6.4 percent.

And we'll use IBM , because it is a high-profile example:
First they issued $2.0b in debt
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-offering.html

then they spent $0.5b to buyback shares
IBM Raises Dividend by 12%, Unveils $5B Share Buyback | Fox Business

Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM

78,774 posts, read 60,963,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
In Australia they already get paid $15 per hour (and have health insurance) and yet a big mac costs almost exactly the same as in the US. The same goes for several parts of Canada (like Alberta) and in several US states (like North Dakota though they don't get health insurance there).

The reality is labor costs are only about 3% of the cost of your average fast food meal and just about every other catagory in the price break down is larger.
So, if a typical persons meal is $6 that means that 18 cents goes to wages per meal.
If you have an average employee count of 5-6 at a typical mcdonalds at $15 an hour.....
You would need to be serving 416-500 customers per hour which means over the course of a 14 hour operational day (6AM - 10PM is typical around here) you need to serve somewhere around 6,000-7,000 customers.

You figure in Australia has 800+ locations and about around 23million people and for your numbers to work....

1 out of 4 Australians, every man, woman, baby etc. would have to eat at a McDonalds....365 days out of the year.

Or in other words everyone in Australia has to eat at McDonalds over 90 times a year.

I would suggest that somewhere you probably were given bad information regarding 3% of costs being labor.

P.S. I didn't even factor in any other employee wage costs like our equivalent of social security or workers comp fund surcharge as I'm unfamiliar with Australian law.

P.S.S. In order for a 6 person crew to process 500 people an hour through 3 cash registers they'd need to be serving a person almost every 20 seconds for 14 straight hours. 20 seconds from the time you reach the register, then give your order, exchange money and get your food and walk away....the 3% of cost myth isn't just busted....it's shattered.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,973,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's clear you don't much about what you are talking about just spewing personal attacks.

Yes, Australia is expensive but there are fringe benefits if you live here | News.com.au
I wonder what McDonald pays their workers in other Country's, in relationship to what other honest jobs are paying. I would bet its more than in the US. on average.
I know of several McDonalds that pay 15.00 an hour now, they are in resort areas and downtown locations, like on Michigan Avenue, Chicago. Somewhere along the line these fast food companies found a way to exploit the workers, only because there more waiting in line for jobs. From what I hear the burger flippers are getting up to 20.00 an hour in places where there are no extra work force lying around, like the oil Fields in Alberta, even in Calgary and Edmonton.Not sure about Williston , ND.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Well you are the one paying $15 in this fantasy, not me. I never said anything about raising wages, just the expectations people have about the ones who work for minimum. There is no giant pool of super duper employees lining up for these position at the wages they pay now. There just isn't. If you fired everyone today you would end up with the same kinds of people tomorrow. I don't know why people have a hard time understanding this.
No, this is what they are striking for. This is what they are demanding.
This is what's right on their picket signs.
Fast-food workers seeking $15 an hour go on strike today against McDonald's, others | syracuse.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies