Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM

59,509 posts, read 27,649,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Fast-food strikes set for cities nationwide - Yahoo! Finance

Fast-Food Protests Underway
This news have appeared on international media as well.

Fast food workers demand $15 an hour for living wage. Right now the current federal minimum wage is $7.25, and Obama called for a raise to $9 an hour.

Thursday 8/29 will be the day thousands of fast food workers across cities walk out of their jobs to strike. I guess no McDonald's, Wendy's or Taco Bell on Thursday...,
I go my sausage, egg and cheese just fine this morning.

I didn't see 1 single protester at ANY of the fast food eateries I went by.

The protest will be a flop, as it should be.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,710,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I go my sausage, egg and cheese just fine this morning.

I didn't see 1 single protester at ANY of the fast food eateries I went by.

The protest will be a flop, as it should be.
It's in the big urban centers that will get public attention.
NYC, Detroit, Chicago.

The union won't bother organizing in a right to work state.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,446,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Fast-food strikes set for cities nationwide - Yahoo! Finance

Fast-Food Protests Underway
This news have appeared on international media as well.

Fast food workers demand $15 an hour for living wage. Right now the current federal minimum wage is $7.25, and Obama called for a raise to $9 an hour.

Thursday 8/29 will be the day thousands of fast food workers across cities walk out of their jobs to strike. I guess no McDonald's, Wendy's or Taco Bell on Thursday...,
I demand fast food companies FIRE everyone who is head of household. If they did that, and only let teens and singles worked there, we wouldn't have these whinners complaining

Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,060,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Housing is a major issue. The size of the average home has more than doubled since 1950. You have to wonder how much more money people would have if we lived in homes similar to those in 1950.

I'm sorry...but if I had to live in a 1000 sq ft house with 3 other people I would go nuts.

Gotta have the man cave.

Am I part of the problem?

Lol

Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM

24,477 posts, read 23,182,443 times
Got a stuffed steak special at a local pizza place so no worries. I'll betcha Chick Fil A is open so go there if you want a good fast food fix.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,297,598 times
I would definitely consider working part time at Arby's for $15 / hour. Maybe 16 hours a week? My employer would know they're getting a highly educated, bright, hard-working, conscientious, quick-learning employee, who would not need any benefits.

In a year of this I'd have an extra $9100 or so post-tax. That would all be gravy. I could use it to buy a really nice motorcycle, or some fantastic speakers, or take a super vacation, or buy a pickup as an auxiliary vehicle, or do some pretty extensive house enhancements.

Why would Arby's want to pay somebody who isn't very educated (GED or HS Diploma vs. my multiple degrees), maybe isn't very bright, might not be that conscientious, when I would be willing to work, part-time, as a second job, for that amount of money?

Or would there be some law passed saying successful people who make $X already *aren't allowed* to take those jobs as second jobs?

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-29-2013 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,105,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Low wage workers end up getting subsidized by various gov't programs anyway.
Which is why the cost of living is so high to begin with.

I bet those workers would like to have the percentage of their gross pay that is forced from them for SS, medicare, medicaid, disability, unemployment insurance, etc.

I know, I know.....people are too dumb to plan for themselves.

However, imagine a country where the cost of living is 40% lower because the government isn't taking from you at every turn?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,710,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I would definitely consider working part time at Arby's for $15 / hour. Maybe 16 hours a week? My employer would know they're getting a highly educated, bright, hard-working, conscientious, quick-learning employee, who would not need any benefits.

In a year of this I'd have an extra $9100 or so post-tax. That would all be gravy. I could use it to buy a really nice motorcycle, or some fantastic speakers, or take a super vacation, or buy a pickup as an auxiliary vehicle, or do some pretty extensive house enhancements.

Why would Arby's want to pay somebody who isn't very educated (GED or HS Diploma vs. my multiple degrees), maybe isn't very bright, might not be that conscientious, when I would be willing to work, part-time, as a second job, for that amount of money, as a second job?

Or would there be some law passed saying successful people who make $X already *aren't allowed* to take those jobs as second jobs?
I'm in the same boat as you Nepenthe and would jump at a p/t job for $15/hour myself.
That's more than substitute teaching makes and I wouldn't have to take classes to keep my teacher cert. active.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,894,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's in the big urban centers that will get public attention.
NYC, Detroit, Chicago.

The union won't bother organizing in a right to work state.
Yeah, nothing going on here in NC, and I just drove past "Fast Food Alley".

Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,769,361 times
Rather than demanding to be paid $15 an hour, why don't they just stop having children that they can't afford? But oh no, they expect the public to foot the bill for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies