Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I'm sure that people who marched and fought for civil rights at one time thought "reality" meant there would be no changes....but some people disagreed with that "reality" made a stand and therefore reality changed.

If there is a large social movement to increase minimum wages and ultimately people start boycotting those companies who insist on raising product prices in order to MAINTAIN their ENORMOUS AND OBSCENELY LARGE PROFITS, then they will be required to change their financial practices. People will pay those outrageously high prices for just so long. Ultimately that strategy of passing the cost of labor on to their customers will fail.
I suggest you start by cutting your fee's in half.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
Quote:
Once again, for those of you who do not understand altruism and do not know enough to realize that people have the capacity to empathize and do not have to be a minimum wage worker in order to advocate for what is the right thing to do, a person does not have to be in poverty in order to support causes which will benefit those who do. I'm self employed, educated, and have nice life. However, I am also capable of SEEING what is going on for lots of people in our community (country). Additionally, certainly you must understand that public demonstrations, strikes, etc. is the way a group of people get the message to the intended recipients (business owners and politicians who vote regarding raising the minimum wage law); one does not personally have to go to every business and convince the employees to quit.

Your assertion that government "takes more" from companies....yeah, that's right, big businesses and corporations pay so much in taxes. LMAO

According to the U.S. Supreme Court, corporations are the same as individual people and have the same rights, so that seems to me that they have the same social responsibility as individuals. Amazing that you advocate for people (big business owners/ billionaire-millionaire CEOS) who would throw you under the buss in a heartbeat, never even looking back. I'm afraid I don't think you fall into the millionaire/billionaire business owner club;however, I have little doubt that you believe only in personal responsibility and NOT in social responsibility.
It appears that liberals have a hard time understanding the difference between small and big. Your idiot president hurt small business and cozies up to big business.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Ahhh, yet another arch-conservative speaking for liberals as if they were qualified to do so.

NOBODY is saying that the primary purpose of business is to provide employment. We are saying is that companies/corporations have a social responsibility to their communities which have provided them with huge successes by paying their employees a living wage (minimum wage) so that you conservatives will not have to subsidize their employees with public assistance programs, and that the minimum wage should be increased enough to keep pace with inflation. Very simple really. Social responsibility is something you would do well to research.
That's true, after all, I want to see something, besides jobs given in the community for corporations locating and relocating into my area, they did get huge tax incentives - tax breaks for moving in my neighborhood, and as long as they're here, as a part of the community, they should put something into the kitty like everyone else here does.

Come to find out, one corp. that moved into my area closed a factory 44 miles from here, and busted the union in the process, after locating here with open arms by the village officials, they start people off at the bare min. wage. So, I see the seedy, greedy outfit for what they really are, and the sad part is that the village officials are in bed with them. Will our property taxes go down as a result of newly found revenue? No, they will not, it was a greedy grab for two parties, and not employees.

It's how corp. America operates these days, and I don't know why people are attacking you for your informative posts, maybe it's because you're telling the facts of the matter, some people don't want to hear or see the facts, they're used to their own revisionist ideals.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Prices won't be raised and passed to customers if it means business will be lost. Most places are in a race to the bottom these days with quality, service, whatever. It WILL mean restructuring businesses and changing the game. Yup, some places will be lost (the ones that aren't operating well now) and others will rise to replace them. It's kind of exciting thinking about changes that unless you are the type who resists change, and only want what you currently know and have...forever and ever. Zzzzz.
This is true in the case of one individual business. In the case of across the board circumstances it doesn't work. When I was younger a Big Mac was under a dollar. What is it now? $4.00? People are still buying them.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Perhaps the fascists should have thought of that before turning us into a SERVICE ECONOMY.
All the manufacturing jobs that have left were low skilled jobs to, but you were able to live a middle class lifestyle, but it is cheaper to have commie China do those jobs so the fascists can reap the awards from it, to the detriment of the nation.
Bingo. Precisely true. People and corporations with money can reap the monetary rewards of unregulated globalism in the labor market. It has been done by Robber Barons for centuries in America with ever increasing immigrant labor. Now, they can just go to another country or continent for cheap labor.

The current system can't go on. We're already in a death spiral printing $1T+ per year, waiting endlessly for the elusive recovery, enacting hair-brained cost sharing schemes in major sectors of the economy that are already riddled with fraud, and with an elite who are not bound by the same laws as the other citizens. All the money is at the top of the income pyramid and it's not flowing back into the non-financial economy. Billionaires own the federal government.

There's an obvious game-changer on the horizon: 3-D printing. It will be as revolutionary as the internet, or the assembly line was in their early days. All those giant factories in Asia will be a thing of the past. Be glad you don't live there.

Figure out how to become a part of it now and you'll be rich in a decade.

Last edited by Goinback2011; 08-31-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,038 times
i often wondered if every penny of stimulus over the last 10 years had been divided and distributed to every American what the individual take would have been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That's all very nice, but they'll raise prices to pass on the increased labor costs.

And if you are unlucky, it'll ignite a wage price spiral.

Why are leftists unable to grasp even basic economics?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because they "emote" instead of thinking logically or critically. There was a thread here not too long ago discussing the fact that only 14% of engineers vote Democrat. Critical/logical thinkers don't buy into the "feels good but won't actually work" leftist BS.
LOL Now we have one of those folks who seems to believe that "emotions" are not an integral part of human thinking.

When you can't attack or counter the argument, then go for the patriarchal argument that anyone how is passionate is emotional and not logical. We ALL us our right brain and left brain in our thinking.

Raising the minimum wage in the past in our country has NOT destroyed capitalism and destroyed most businesses, nor will it do that when minimum wage is raised again.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But thats EXACTLY what you've called for through this whole thread..

Why do you think we're losing jobs to overseas countries if not things like salaries, government regulations etc?
This is exactly why we are losing jobs.........some of them well paying. To note this does not mean that one wishes for slave labor and a world of no regulations but there comes a point where it no longer becomes worth it.

Raise the wages too high and things will become increasing automated and we will wonder where the jobs went. Many regulatory agencies are just coming up with stuff to justify their existence.

We were told that every single street sign in town had to be replaced with new ones with better reflective qualities. Now that is great that the new ones are better but we are a small town with little traffic and very little reason to do this. There is nothing wrong with replacing them as they are needed.

So when the employee's look for a raise the money isn't there because of asinine regulations like this.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
i often wondered if every penny of stimulus over the last 10 years had been divided and distributed to every American what the individual take would have been
I often wonder if every penny that the government took away from people's pay how much better the working peoples lives would have been. After all, they worked for it they deserve it don't they.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

It's how corp. America operates these days, and I don't know why people are attacking you for your informative posts, maybe it's because you're telling the facts of the matter, some people don't want to hear or see the facts, they're used to their own revisionist ideals.
IMO, the truth and reality terrifies them so much they absolutely must stay deep in denial in order to get through the day.....and all their days ahead of them. Old habit patterns of thinking die hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies