Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 PM

577 posts, read 512,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They buy the crap from these companies and then cry they have no money and these companies are hoarding it.

Now who willingly gave their money away ?

Families don't live on the farm anymore and are not a self sustaining unit, of course people have to buy things to live. You have a warped sense of reality when it comes to economics. Which I guess is explained by buying into Ayn Rand's beliefs. So no need for me to waste time trying to explain an entire economic system and how it works to anyone that has their attention destracted from the big picture. Those on the extreme left or right are impossible to deal with. So with that, i'll agree to disagree with you.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's no wonder the country is in the mess it is.
I agree. That is the mindset of people today.
God forbid they go out of their way to do what's right.

I know people that just can't be bothered going to Farmer's Markets because it's out of their way or they'd rather do all their shopping in one place.

They'd rather call the big national chain (that's foreign owned) to fix their water heater than ask around for the local guy that lives in their town and runs his own shop.

They'd rather bank at BofA because there's ATMs all over the place and then complain about fees on their accounts.

The big corps are thriving on the instant gratification crowd that just "can't be bothered" to go out of their way.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,038 times
I dont proof this stuff, excuse me. You got my meaning, no one cares about specualtion. You are entitled to your opinion but dont ask others to dis prove your opinion with facts.

My thoughts are simple Econ 101. like any other market labor pays what the market will bear. Do i like the idea of supporting Min wage workers with food stamps, sect 8 and other hand outs, NO. I do like the idea that places like McDs will hire impaired folk so they can move them towards an independant living I dont think you turn around and double their wages that is an economic model that will collapse before it gets started

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Just for the record, it's "you're" and "affecting" ......I would be more impressed with your knowledge of "economic forces" if you were a better writer.

Also, I don't think "speculation" is ever substantiated. After all, what is speculation anyway? Do you know? I, just like most other people posting in this thread, am offering my opinions. I've never noticed that opinions are not allowed on this board.

Why don't you take a break and stop attacking me personally and offer some of your own thoughts about the issues being discussed in this thread?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,038 times
Honest of you to concede that you are intransigent and stuck on the far left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Families don't live on the farm anymore and are not a self sustaining unit, of course people have to buy things to live. You have a warped sense of reality when it comes to economics. Which I guess is explained by buying into Ayn Rand's beliefs. So no need for me to waste time trying to explain an entire economic system and how it works to anyone that has their attention destracted from the big picture. Those on the extreme left or right are impossible to deal with. So with that, i'll agree to disagree with you.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
LOL..I'm not Any Rand reincarnated.

By "going galt" I paid off all debt, moved and took early retirement.
I'm not living in a cave in the mountains somewhere.
Nor am I living off the land.

I just downsized and grabbed an opportunity when it presented itself.
I just removed myself from the system as much as I could. But you can't totally remove yourself.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Honest of you to concede that you are intransigent and stuck on the far left
You don't know me well enough to call that! So no need in taking a cheap shot. If you want to have a civil convesation that is fine.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
LOL..I'm not Any Rand reincarnated.

By "going galt" I paid off all debt, moved and took early retirement.
I'm not living in a cave in the mountains somewhere.
Nor am I living off the land.

I just downsized and grabbed an opportunity when it presented itself.
I just removed myself from the system as much as I could. But you can't totally remove yourself.
Now you see, when I asked what a solution would be to getting money out of corporations and back into the middle class economy why didn't you say all the great things about buying local and farmers markets? That is exactly what I was looking for, just common sense things that everyday Americans can do to make a difference.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I buy from Farmer Markets. Keeps the money in the community
I barter with neighbors. Keeps money in both our pockets.
I deal with local banks and local service folks. Keeps money in the community

I don't buy into the myriad of technical gadgets that are considered "needs" today.
I have a cellphone that is just a phone and nothing else. I might be the last person in America with a flippy phone that only does calls.

If you don't like these big companies hoarding your money then don't give it to them.
Starve the beast as they say.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Now you see, when I asked what a solution would be to getting money out of corporations and back into the middle class economy why didn't you say all the great things about buying local and farmers markets? That is exactly what I was looking for, just common sense things that everyday Americans can do to make a difference.
What I posted is not any solution because people are not doing it.
The proof is that those corporations have that cache of money.

Walmart is still #1 even though everyone hates the evil Waltons.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I buy from Farmer Markets. Keeps the money in the community
I barter with neighbors. Keeps money in both our pockets.
I deal with local banks and local service folks. Keeps money in the community

I don't buy into the myriad of technical gadgets that are considered "needs" today.
I have a cellphone that is just a phone and nothing else. I might be the last person in America with a flippy phone that only does calls.

If you don't like these big companies hoarding your money then don't give it to them.
Starve the beast as they say.
Well I kept my flip phone for 6 years and got laughed at all the time, I only replaced it when it totally died! Great thing in Austin are all the good re-sale shops (local owned). I totally believe in local business and keeping money in the community. These businesses are the ones that are key to providing minimum wagers a step up on the next rung of the economic ladder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies