Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post

You have no clue economic systems that is obvious. Go look it up and read about it, educate yourself then come back with a better understanding and try to back your ideas with real arguements.
Did it work? Did you answer my question? Why do I have to read about what we have lived through?

Did it work?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM

577 posts, read 512,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Said the person complaining that the rich are not spending enough to suit them.
oh, another deflection from you actually looking things up rather than admit that I'm correct. Go back and look at decades when the economy was healthy and funtioning. Compare what groups held the wealth in the country at that time and look at the way it is today. What you will find is a shift from the middle class being the drivers of this economy due to them having money, to the situation we have today when the money is idle and sitting in the hands of a few. That is just the facts on how it is now. These people aren't investing, they aren't hiring, or increasing wages for there employees. Until they do, nothing will change and we will be stuck in the rut.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The bolded statement is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Employers do not have a "Social Responsibility" to pay a "living wage" (still waiting on the definition of that term, btw). The very nature of this argument makes it a straw man. Who sets this so-called living wage? Who decides when it changes? What happens when this living wage gets so high that the company is no longer making a profit and needs to raise their prices in order to cover the massive amount of outlay that is going to their employees? Does the "living wage" go up when their prices go up? A bit self-defeating there.
My definition of a "living wage" is one which enables the employee to support themselves in terms of food, clothing, and shelter WITHOUT the need of help from public assistance programs, and enough income that the employees do not qualify for public assistance.

So, you can't counter my argument, therefore you throw out the word "straw man"....LOL LOL

When was the last time you looked at the numbers in terms of the enormous profits made by the big companies and corporations in this country? How about CEO pay checks? You guys need to take a step back and try to think somewhat critically about this issue in terms of YOUR BEST INTEREST, NOT just the best interest of the CEOs and wealthy corporations, etc. For example, check out the profits of ExonMobile.

Btw, do you not know what Social Responsibility means? Just because you conservative supporters of the ultra rich and big businesses getting filthy rich have been conditioned to believe that "personal responsibility" means that you, too, could one day be ultra rich, and that's all that matters in life, your conditioned belief does not mean there is no such thing as social responsibility. It kinda means giving back to your community to keep it strong.....and businesses who have made enormous amounts of money in your community needs to "give back" to the community to keep it strong so their business will also stay strong.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,489 times
nail, hammer, head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
If you raise the minimum wage to $15, you've just slashed the effective income of everyone who's currently earning between $7.25 and $15, essentially punishing the lower-middle class and putting them into poverty. With the new higher minimum wage, the prices of everything in our economy will increase to meet the new poverty line. So you're not only putting minimum wage earners back where they were, you're also hurting the lower middle class by making them minimum wage earners too.

So by enacting this new minimum wage, you'll be pulling over 18% (nearly 1 in 5) people from the middle class to poverty, more than doubling the number of people trying to get by on minimum wage. But at least burger flippers will be earning as much as people with lower-paying degrees, right? And they're better off, since they have no student loans to repay.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
oh, another deflection from you actually looking things up rather than admit that I'm correct. Go back and look at decades when the economy was healthy and funtioning. Compare what groups held the wealth in the country at that time and look at the way it is today.
Now you are just flailing away like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Quote:
What you will find is a shift from the middle class being the drivers of this economy due to them having money, to the situation we have today when the money is idle and sitting in the hands of a few. That is just the facts on how it is now. These people aren't investing, they aren't hiring, or increasing wages for there employees. Until they do, nothing will change and we will be stuck in the rut.
I addressed this. Quit printing them more and more money. Even though I address it you don't address that you just go off on another inane path.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How old are you? ALL of the jobs/careers you listed require special training and education. Training and formal Education are not FREE. So how does an adult who lost a manufacturing job with a livable wage and is now working for minimum wage in the service industry or a WalMart type place going to pay for a college/university education, especially in the medical field? Can you tell me where one can get a formal education in "computers" these days for free? You seem to ignore that there are actually lots of college educated people out there these days who are unable to get jobs in their fields of study because there are so few of those jobs available. Btw, what makes you think that vet techs make more than minimum wage?????
I'm over 40. That's all the information you'll get.

Have you ever heard of grants? There are quite a few of them, and many of them are made specifically for people who are under the poverty level. How does an adult who needs to educate themselves in order to enter a new field do it? The same way countless thousands have done it before them. They work their @**es off and do it.

Want a free education in computers? Simple. Go to the library. Check out the books and video courses on A+ Certification. There are also about a dozen online places you can go to get free video training in A+ Certification. Study until you feel like your brain is going to explode. Study some more. Go to the thrift shop and spend $20 on a computer that you can tear apart and put back together several times for hands on experience. Study some more. Save up the money to take the test (that part isn't free, it costs around $360 which is probably the best investment you'll ever make in yourself). Schedule the test, take the test, and go out and find a job in one of the fastest growing career fields in history. On a side note, this paragraph is written from personal experience. I did not go to school for computers, I did not have any formal training, and yet I still managed to get into the field. Excuses are excuses, and most of them are worthless.

So, there are college educated people who aren't working in their fields? There always have been. Without knowing what their degree is in, I can't tell you why they aren't following their dreams.

How do I know that vet techs make more than minimum wage? Because before I decided to study my ass off and get my A+ Certification I looked into the possibility of becoming a veterinary technician. Pay starts at around $28k and there is opportunity for advancement. No, you won't get rich as vet tech, but it's a whole lot better than flipping burgers for $15k a year.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Now you are just flailing away like a chicken with it's head cut off.

I addressed this. Quit printing them more and more money. Even though I address it you don't address that you just go off on another inane path.
Quit printing money does not fix an economic system that is broke. You can't seem to move past that one sticking point to look at the entire problem.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,940 times
Quote:
You are arguing in circular nonsensical mumbo jumbo. You argue the problem is that the government provided all of this money but it's not being put into circulation but then you argue that the circulation of this money is what saved us from ruination.

You have to be careful in listening to what the snake oil salesmen are telling you. Did the sequester cause people to die in the streets like it was claimed? Did any planes fall from the sky?
I think you are misunderstanding ctkOp's arguments.

No, no planes fell from the sky because the airlines/air traffic controllers were exempted from the sequester when changes in flight schedules began to inconvenience airline customers.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,489 times
our rants are so l hyperbole they are hard to take serious

Quote:
This movement is about raising the minimum wage law. Perhaps if people STOPPED buying the use of McDonald's name by buying franchises, then the top of the food chain would start losing some of the enormously excessive wealth they earn each year, and then they may consider foregoing a few extra billion in order to enable folks to "buy" their franchises at a lower price and therefore make more money at the local level so they can pay their employees a living wage.

These people working in what are basically sweat shops of the modern day are working very hard, and simply deserve to earn enough money to support themselves and their families at a very low level. Nobody is asking to get "rich" from working in these places. The large companies who pay so little to their employees are simply requiring the taxpayers to pay part of their income via public assistance programs. Impressively GREEDY and ONLY SELF-CONCERNED. Dear god, these CEOs and company owners like WalMart may not be able to buy that 50th yacht, or the 5th or 6th vacation home in an exotic location, etc., etc. What a shame that would be.

SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY applies not only to individuals but to businesses as well. When you suck all your customers completely dry, you lose your business ultimately.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding ctkOp's arguments.

No, no planes fell from the sky because the airlines/air traffic controllers were exempted from the sequester when changes in flight schedules began to inconvenience airline customers.
It's amazing that people get so wound up on focusing on tiny parts of such a huge problem. It's like shooting a pool of water then looking for the hole it made when you try and fix just the one tiny thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies