Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times

Advertisements

The problem isn't just the 'evil corporations'.

The problem is your neighbors whose every purchase is made in China.

And the government who represents the 1 percent.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,799,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
In Australia they already get paid $15 per hour (and have health insurance) and yet a big mac costs almost exactly the same as in the US. The same goes for several parts of Canada (like Alberta) and in several US states (like North Dakota though they don't get health insurance there).

The reality is labor costs are only about 3% of the cost of your average fast food meal and just about every other catagory in the price break down is larger.
How high are the taxes in Australia for middle-class people in comparison to the taxes here in the U.S.?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Well I kept my flip phone for 6 years and got laughed at all the time, I only replaced it when it totally died! Great thing in Austin are all the good re-sale shops (local owned). I totally believe in local business and keeping money in the community. These businesses are the ones that are key to providing minimum wagers a step up on the next rung of the economic ladder.
And leaving Austin was part of my plan.

I went from $7K in RE taxes to $2K in RE taxes
It really does cost to live in the "hip" areas.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM

577 posts, read 512,797 times
It's extremely expensive in Austin, I just got some land out in the country in another county to escape the taxes. Going to build a small efficient home and slow down and enjoy living. I don't see how anyone can afford Austin anymore, especially minimum wage earners. Time to eat. Great discussion with you Happy. Have a good evening.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. That is the mindset of people today.
God forbid they go out of their way to do what's right.

I know people that just can't be bothered going to Farmer's Markets because it's out of their way or they'd rather do all their shopping in one place.

They'd rather call the big national chain (that's foreign owned) to fix their water heater than ask around for the local guy that lives in their town and runs his own shop.

They'd rather bank at BofA because there's ATMs all over the place and then complain about fees on their accounts.

The big corps are thriving on the instant gratification crowd that just "can't be bothered" to go out of their way.
That really wasn't my complaint but I agree. The big corps exist because of what you say but they are thriving off government largeness though.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,056,666 times
Not sure if this obvious fact has been stated yet...

If the fast food establishments raised the pay to $15 an hour for these jobs, more qualified people would suddenly be interested in these jobs and would be hired in place of the lesser qualified workers currently striking for higher wages.

They would have "struck" themselves out of a job

Doh

Lol

A wage offered determines the ability of the job seekers who will apply.

Get it?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,425,615 times
Quote:
So what is your solution then? If we have always relied on the middle class to stimulate the economy with new businesses and job growth, and today that money is not in the hands of that section of the economy and only bottled up in corporations, then what do you do?
First, never vote for a presidential candidate that runs on the jealousy of people who don't have a clue. Never vote for a politician that believes that raising taxes is the solution. It's not.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
That's silly, people have to buy things in order to live, and thus money will continue to go to corporations but not return to the economy in the same ratio.
The same thing happens when the government siphens money out of the economy through taxation. Obama managed to get higher taxes but did you see anyone who bought into his BS get a windfall?

A bunch of idiots believed Obama and now they suffer the fallout and you still don't get it.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..I'm not Any Rand reincarnated.

By "going galt" I paid off all debt, moved and took early retirement.
I'm not living in a cave in the mountains somewhere.
Nor am I living off the land.

I just downsized and grabbed an opportunity when it presented itself.
I just removed myself from the system as much as I could. But you can't totally remove yourself.
Hey HappyTexan, I did the same thing. When Obama ran around insisting the higher taxes was the answer I couldn't believe how many people bought into his crap. When Obama was re-elected we said what the hell should we bust our asses for only for the government to take a bigger chuck, instead of working to grow our business, hubby took an early retirement (not government funded), they still did not fill his position and for me instead of laying someone off I work much less.

screw it.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,299 times
Tax reform to Obama means ANOTHER tax hike and nothing else. Our tax code is among the top reasons for our mushrooming trade deficit, since we're the only country which taxes income from its citizens from any country on the planet.

I'm sure anybody who voted for him again last year has a serious case of buyer's remorse right now; President One Per Cent is shafting everybody except for his Wall Street comrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies