Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times

Advertisements

When a government sets a minimum wage they are setting what 1 hour of the lowest quality of work is worth in numerical terms. The actual value hasn't changed though. When you buy bread or a toaster or anything it still costs ___ hours of the lowest quality of work regardless of what numerical value that is, that is the currency you are really paying in. Raising the minimum wage doesn't do anything for you other than needing a larger wallet to hold your ___ hours of the lowest quality of work in.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
To compare some of these career FF workers to CEO's is so out there it's laughable.

These are people that can't give you change and you think they deserve as much as CEO's ?

How can someone work 10 years in FF and still be at min wage ?
That means the only raises she ever got was from Congress raising the min wage ?

And 2003 was years before the bottom fell out of the market.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

577 posts, read 512,697 times
[quote=HiFi;31191568]You don't understand how money is valued, do you.[/QUOTE

That's a big assumption from your part.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Raising them to $15/hour puts them ahead of starting salaries of people with 4 year college degrees.
Do you realize that ?

$120 a day for a FF cashier is more than a certified teacher subbing makes in a day.
I'm not sure I would support 15/hr, just raising enough to get these people off welfare. Either way either taxpayers will subsidize due to welfare if they are below the poverty level or businesses will have to pay and pass on a little more. Either way people are going to pay, that's all i'm saying.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Low wage workers end up getting subsidized by various gov't programs anyway.
Exactly. These people, low wage workers, which is practically half the workforce today, will have food, shelter and medical attention regardless of whether it's the corporations they work for who pay or the more fortunate top 40% of workers through taxes and government subsidies.

Regardless, someone is paying up. So you need to decide whether billion dollar corporations like Wal Mart and McDonald's should foot the bill or your paychecks but someone is going to hold the bag. And if you look at the wealth increases of the corporations, banks, and top 1% over the last 35 years it does not seem like they're the ones picking up the slack.

The ones who will pay will be the higher level house slaves. Those in the top 45% to top 2% of the workforce population. Because remember the bottom 55-60% of people pay negligible taxes to Banker occupied Uncle Sam.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
TLDR

Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Exactly. These people, low wage workers, which is practically half the workforce today, will have food, shelter and medical attention regardless of whether it's the corporations they work for who pay or the more fortunate top 40% of workers through taxes and government subsidies.

Regardless, someone is paying up. So you need to decide whether billion dollar corporations like Wal Mart and McDonald's should foot the bill or your paychecks but someone is going to hold the bag. And if you look at the wealth increases of the corporations, banks, and top 1% over the last 35 years it does not seem like they're the ones picking up the slack.

The ones who will pay will be the higher level house slaves. Those in the top 45% to top 2% of the workforce population. Because remember the bottom 55-60% of people pay negligible taxes to Banker occupied Uncle Sam.
Great explaination! Someone always has to be left holding the bag, and the government (via taxpayers) has increasingly been the one picking up a larger portion of the tab while corporations have continued to increase their profits.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I'm not sure I would support 15/hr, just raising enough to get these people off welfare. Either way either taxpayers will subsidize due to welfare if they are below the poverty level or businesses will have to pay and pass on a little more. Either way people are going to pay, that's all i'm saying.
You will never eliminate welfare and that's a fact.
What's happening is globalization my friend.

Third world standards come up while first world standards come down.
We normalize somewhere in the middle.

The problem is that it will be painful for us.
We refuse to give up our luxuries that are now deemed necessities.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read that the SEIU has provided funding and training and organizers in the big cities to help the workers do their strike the right way..the union way.

Looks to me like the union is looking for some fresh meat.

They need to be protesting in DC, not in front of the local McDonalds.
Only Congress can raise the min wage to $15/hour.

Unskilled burger flippers making $32K a year ?

32K a year is poverty with no government subsidies in my parts. So yeah, they would still be poor. 32K a year Is NOTHING TRASH GARBAGE in 2013. You act like it's some good wage.

That's more than the starting salary of a first year teacher with a 4 year degree.

And that's a disgrace. No job that asks for 16 years of education should start at any lower than 45K in 2013. And that's just a starting salary which is not supposed to be that great and 45K is not. Not in the 21st century.

But these folks think they deserve it because they work harder than the billionaires.
They have families. They have no skills to work their way up the career ladder.
They want their fair share.
If people got paid commensurate to the ratios of cost of living vs. inflation adjusted back to the 60's and 70's they would be in less debt, buy more products and require much less in government assistance.

I suppose your idea of fair is for the top elite to just own everything and everyone else live like the Cratchet's or Calcutta Indians.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
to me that says more about the low wages for middle class americans than anything else.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Repped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies